• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RIP @Dorpie (Rob)

Rick H

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF Aug 2023
CP 2022
I started today on the Camino Frances. At the Albergue in Roncesvalles a man in his bed was unresponsive to medical care. By coincidence I met some people who first tried to revive him with CPR. It was a very sad day for all involved. I have no other details. God bless him and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sad. For both him and his family. A heart-attack, if I am reading correctly. That walk over the Pyrenees has claimed lives before.
Vale.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
R.i.p.so sad to read this.my thoughts to all of the family and friends of this pilgrim

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started today on the Camino Frances. At the Albergue in Roncesvalles a man in his bed was unresponsive to medical care. By coincidence I met some people who first tried to revive him with CPR. It was a very sad day for all involved. I have no other details. God bless him and his family.
Buen Camino for the pilgrim’s last journey.

Sad news for the family concerned and his friends. I've occasionally heard of people passing away while on the Camino, some by natural causes and some due to accidents. When you think of the sheer number of people walking Caminos through Spain then it's bound to happen occasionally.
For the other pilgrims who witness this or are close by it must have a tremendous impact too. Family mean so much to us all, and walking any Camino somehow means you also belong to this family of moving souls beneath the Milky Way. Some footprints continue to be made here on our fragile planet Earth, while others walk among the stars above - buen camino peregrino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So sad. May he rest in peace after this last Camino.

Such sad news. RIP

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Buen camino, peregrino.
Life is short. And you were using it well.
To die in one's sleep on the first night or so of a camino would be the way many of us would want to go - but that does not make it any easier on the loved ones left behind. Heartfelt kind wishes for his friends and family.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I hope his family have been notified by now. The pilgrim that died in Roncesvalles that morning was @Dorpie , a veteran forum member that has been a member of this forum since 2015. May he rest in peace.

I should add that I did get this news from another forum member that stayed with him at the same albergue in SJPP and had breakfast with him (in SJPP) the day they both walked to Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hope his family have been notified by now. The pilgrim that died in Roncesvalles that morning was @Dorpie , a veteran forum member that has been a member of this forum since 2015. May he rest in peace.

I should add that I did get this news from another forum member that stayed with him at the same albergue in SJPP and had breakfast with him (in SJPP) the day they both walked to Roncesvalles.

Oh my!

R.I.P. Dorpie.

I roomed with Rob (Dorpie). at St Jean. Jack, another forum member was also in our room at the Albergue. At breakfast before heading out the door for the first stage, I had a picture taken at the breakfast table. Rob is against the wall. He was a great guy. God Bless him and his family.

I do believe that there is a there after this here we inhabit. So yes, I do believe Dorpie knows and everyone else like Dorpie knows... i have no degrees to back this up, and I do not care. For me, it is easier to hope for more than a black hole. I wish myself, and each other being, peace, hope, and as many smiles as you can muster for the rest of your time here.
If this crosses lines, moderators, feel free to delete.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I roomed with Rob (Dorpie). at St Jean. Jack, another forum member was also in our room at the Albergue. At breakfast before heading out the door for the first stage, I had a picture taken at the breakfast table. Rob is against the wall. He was a great guy. God Bless him and his family.

Thank you for sharing this with his fellow Forum members.

Ultreia @Dorpie wherever you may be.

I’m hoping his family gets this! Thank you for sharing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m hoping his family gets this! Thank you for sharing.
Buen Camino on your next journey my fellow pilgrim. For now rest in peace. May your family be blessed and all the Angel's of the Camino wrap around his family to bring them eventual peace.
As soon as you leave on your first day you are a full member of the camino family. Today I have lost a family member God bless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With such a high number of forum members, many posters are just a name and you never meet in real life. @Dorpie had chosen a picture of himself at the Irache wine fountain as his avatar. He often signed his forum posts with his name Rob. He gave quiet and accurate advice and had a lovely sense of self-depreciating humour. As a tribute to him and to jog my memory, I skimmed through his forum posts. These are mostly his words, I just replaced first-person singular by third person singular:

He had a bit of a thing for making sure information we propagate on the internet is accurate. He knew Spanish and was interested in Spanish gastronomy and culture. Once, during a forum discussion about carrying pocket knives, his curiosity had been piqued and he went to his friendly neighbourhood police station to enquire about the legality of Opinel type knives. When he explained his purpose for carrying it (he had actually taken a picture to the station for fear of getting into trouble) he was assured that hiking in Europe would be regarded as a legitimate reason to do so. I can so relate to all this. A guy after my own heart. ☺

He was about 40 years old when he walked his first camino in May 2015, starting in SJPP. He had walked Santiago to Finisterre and to Muxia a couple of years earlier as a taster for the big walk. He walked his second camino in July 2017, again from SJPP; both times in a little over 30 days. In about 70 days in total he only ever once had to walk to the next village to find a bed, he said.

He had walked a spring camino and a summer camino and in September 2019 he took the Eurostar from London and the TGV to Bayonne to start an autumn camino from SJPP. He was thinking of walking eventually a winter camino and later the Henro Michi in Japan. It was not meant to be. He loved the social aspect of the camino francés and once he said that community is the word he'd use to describe the camino for himself.

On his first camino, he took over 100 pairs of earplugs to give out to others which was perhaps overkill, he said, and he was leaving handfuls at albergue receptions by the end but he did become known as the guy who had earplugs ☺. Another time he mentioned that he was camino famous as the maniac who wouldn't stop walking despite the entirety of both soles of his feet being entirely blister, not to mention other ones elsewhere and losing 8 toenails, he’d not seen anyone with worse. He switched from boots to lighter shoes eventually. ☺

A year ago, in September 2018, he took is aging father, who cannot walk very far, for 8 days on a road trip, as his 80th birthday present. They started in Bilbao and then zig-zagged to San Sebastian, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Orisson, Pamplona, Burgos, Gijon, Melide, Astorga, Leon, Salamanca, Avila, Segovia and Madrid. He had asked the forum for recommendations of places to visit or to stay or to eat there and when he came back he reported where they had been and thanked those by name who had given tips.

Farewell, forum buddy @Dorpie.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
With such a high number of forum members, many posters are just a name and you never meet in real life. @Dorpie had chosen a picture of himself at the Irache wine fountain as his avatar. He often signed his forum posts with his name Rob. He gave quiet and accurate advice and had a lovely sense of self-depreciating humour. As a tribute to him and to jog my memory, I skimmed through his forum posts. These are mostly his words, I just replaced first-person singular by third person singular:

He had a bit of a thing for making sure information we propagate on the internet is accurate. He knew Spanish and was interested in Spanish gastronomy and culture. Once, during a forum discussion about carrying pocket knives, his curiosity had been piqued and he went to his friendly neighbourhood police station to enquire about the legality of Opinel type knives. When he explained his purpose for carrying it (he had actually taken a picture to the station for fear of getting into trouble) he was assured that hiking in Europe would be regarded as a legitimate reason to do so. I can so relate to all this. A guy after my own heart. ☺

He was about 40 years old when he walked his first camino in May 2015, starting in SJPP. He had walked Santiago to Finisterre and to Muxia a couple of years earlier as a taster for the big walk. He walked his second camino in July 2017, again from SJPP; both times in a little over 30 days. In about 70 days in total he only ever once had to walk to the next village to find a bed, he said.

He had walked a spring camino and a summer camino and in September 2019 he took the Eurostar from London and the TGV to Bayonne to start an autumn camino from SJPP. He was thinking of walking eventually a winter camino and later the Henro Michi in Japan. It was not meant to be. He loved the social aspect of the camino francés and once he said that community is the word he'd use to describe the camino for himself.

On his first camino, he took over 100 pairs of earplugs to give out to others which was perhaps overkill, he said, and he was leaving handfuls at albergue receptions by the end but he did become known as the guy who had earplugs ☺. Another time he mentioned that he was camino famous as the maniac who wouldn't stop walking despite the entirety of both soles of his feet being entirely blister, not to mention other ones elsewhere and losing 8 toenails, he’d not seen anyone with worse. He switched from boots to lighter shoes eventually. ☺

A year ago, in September 2018, he took is aging father, who cannot walk very far, for 8 days on a road trip, as his 80th birthday present. They started in Bilbao and then zig-zagged to San Sebastian, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Orisson, Pamplona, Burgos, Gijon, Melide, Astorga, Leon, Salamanca, Avila, Segovia and Madrid. He had asked the forum for recommendations of places to visit or to stay or to eat there and when he came back he reported where they had been and thanked those by name who had given tips.

Thank you very much for doing this. Thank you.

Just a few days ago he had posted a thread about his train ride from Paris and he sounded so happy to be going back on the Camino. It is very hard to believe he has left us.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have few words; this news brings tears. I never met Rob in person, but on this forum he became a real friend and presence. Even knowing that he died doing something he loved does not diminish the loss, not only to us but so much more to his family. My thoughts are with them.

Words fail me right now. I'm shocked.

I loved reading your postings, @Dorpie, the last one only a couple of days ago. Was waiting curiously, how your Camino would be this time.

Guess, though I don't really like the thought: We definitly are all just candles in the wind, though we never really believe that to be true ...

This will be a special photo for his family, it is good that there is one of him doing this special Camino.

So sad!
Undoubtedly, this last Camino he does to Jesus with Santiago holding his hand.
Our love for his family and friends and all the forum.
The pilgrims of the past firmly believed that if you died while doing the pilgrimage, you would be assured a spot in heaven. That is why so many went when they were ill or old and why so many towns are named Hospitale as they needed to cater for the many who walked knowing and hoping that death would claim them. If there is some truth in this, then Dorpie has truly joined those special pelegrinos. R.I.P.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A year ago, in September 2018, he took is aging father, who cannot walk very far, for 8 days on a road trip, as his 80th birthday present.
Ohh...
I have been thinking a lot of Rob's family, and hoping they will find a tiny sliver of solace in knowing that he was doing something he loved when he died. I cannot imagine how his father must be feeling right now.
They will not know we are thinking of them, but we can send well-wishes and prayers anyway.
Deepest condolences...may they find peace.

I will miss Rob's good sense of humor and his kindness. He was a light around here...and the day is a bit dimmer now that he's gone. (Thank you @Kathar1na, for those lightly edited posts.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

How thoughtful of you to do this @Kathar1na. Many heartfelt thanks.

An hour or so ago I paid my respects to the fallen pilgrims and their memorials outside Astorga (actually across from the little chapel in Valdeviejas). Although it is way too early at this point but maybe his family would also like to place a memorial for Rob there. @ivar, if you feel it appropriate, maybe you could mention this possibility (or anyone else who may have contact with his family in the future).

Ultreia pilgrim.

I had no idea it was him. This is terrible news. He posted something only in the last weeks or so saying he was about to commence a camino.
Vale.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I remember our first conversation was over how sad it was that so many people felt that they couldn't use their own photo on the web. He was proud of his avatar and that bold smile and raised wine flask was always a welcome sight. It was a reminder that we build our own community, on the way and on the web. The sence of loss shared in these posts is genuine, appropriate for such a genuine and generous man.

Hello dear Pilgrams,

I am seeking my friend Robert. He started the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port on Thursday, 26 September 2019 and has already completed two of these trips. He's a lovely, very likable character. Tall with blue eyes and a big beard.

We (my friends and I) are concerned as we haven't heard from him since last Thursday morning and he is not receiving WhatsApp messages and his phone goes straight to voicemail. He's usually very prompt at responding.

This is his third trip, so we are confident he hasn't got lost!

He mentioned that he had met Guillermo & Iris from Puerto Rico on the evening of 25 September.

If anyone has seen or is with Rob, please ask him to turn on his phone, or reply to this post!

Thanks and have a safe pilgrimage.

Catherine

IMG-20190926-WA0003.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It's always so sad to read of the death of a pilgrim who was in the midst of walking the Camino. But what a shock to see the name of someone whose posts I've read often and happily for several years. Dorpie? No. Just no.

Rest in peace, Rob. Thanks for all you've shared with us. And may your family, friends, and loved ones find strength and peace as they come to terms with your loss.

Hello dear Pilgrams,

I am seeking my friend Robert. He started the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port on Thursday, 26 September 2019 and has already completed two of these trips. He's a lovely, very likable character. Tall with blue eyes and a big beard.

We (my friends and I) are concerned as we haven't heard from him since last Thursday morning and he is not receiving WhatsApp messages and his phone goes straight to voicemail. He's usually very prompt at responding.

This is his third trip, so we are confident he hasn't got lost!

He mentioned that he had met Guillermo & Iris from Puerto Rico on the evening of 25 September.

If anyone has seen or is with Rob, please ask him to turn on his phone, or reply to this post!

Thanks and have a safe pilgrimage.

Catherine

View attachment 65286
Thank you to everyone on this forum for the kind words. I met Rob 7 years ago as a flatmate in London. I had the honour and privilege to know him and call him one of my best friends. I have notified his nearest and dearest, all of whom are shocked and lost for words. I am more than devistated by the news. However so grateful he died in a place doing something he loved.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

€46,-
My imagination right now is of Rob, @fraluchi, @methodist.pilgrim.98, and @Sagalouts having a good chin-wag right about now, as they look over the camino from wherever they are - discussing all aspects of the way. Rob just walked through the door to be welcomed as the most recent peregrino to come in from the weather...

I was with Rob and Rick in SJPDP. I only knew him for that one day, but such a nice guy. I was so sad when I realized that evening that it was Rob who had the medical emergency at Roncesvallas. I will always remember him as the big cheerful man with lots of tips for this first timer. I am tearing up as I write this

€60,-
It has been heartwarming to read the supportive comments re my very close friend Rob. You truly are a community and reading the kind words has inspired me to walk in 2020. The Camino was Rob’s passion, he talked about it frequently and was very excited for his third.
Perhaps one can feel better in the thought that this was where he was meant to be and ultimately he fulfilled his destiny and his spirit will be ever eternal on the camino.

It has been heartwarming to read the supportive comments re my very close friend Rob. You truly are a community and reading the kind words has inspired me to walk in 2020. The Camino was Rob’s passion, he talked about it frequently and was very excited for his third.
Perhaps one can feel better in the thought that this was where he was meant to be and ultimately he fulfilled his destiny and his spirit will be ever eternal on the camino.
Hello, Russ,
This must be a very hard time for you, and I’m sure you know that I and the forum community send you many wishes for healing and for celebrating @Dorpie’s life. You can be sure that when you are ready to walk, there will be many of us here happy to be your cheerleaders, and we can all give a toast to Rob.

We have no control over when the end will come, but what we do with the days we are alive is up to us. And Rob seems to have understood that perfectly.
Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Dear Pilgrims

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and writing your stories and memories of Rob.

We are all still in a great deal of shock and are processing the reality with which we are now facing. A world without Rob.

A few of you have reached out directly and through this thread to say that you would like to know about any services that will be taking place.

As soon as I have information that I can provide, I will post it on this thread.

Thank you again for your kind words and reaching out in this difficult time. We are very grateful.

Safe pilgrimage to you all.

Catherine

Dear Pilgrims

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and writing your stories and memories of Rob.

We are all still in a great deal of shock and are processing the reality with which we are now facing. A world without Rob.

A few of you have reached out directly and through this thread to say that you would like to know about any services that will be taking place.

As soon as I have information that I can provide, I will post it on this thread.

Thank you again for your kind words and reaching out in this difficult time. We are very grateful.

Safe pilgrimage to you all.

Catherine
Catherine, thank you for this message. Far many more of us than will be able to attend will be aware and attentive, when we know the time and place, and will be joining you and all who are Rob’s friends and family for the farewell service that is being arranged.

€83,-
Struggling to find some words here.

Walk free now, Rob. And who knows... maybe one day we'll meet up.

Catherine, thank you. Thinking of Rob's friends here when you are processing your own grief is kindness above and beyond. I hope you and Rob's family know we are thinking of you with a lot of sympathy and heartfelt condolence. It is such a shock when someone young passes unexpectedly, as Rob did.
He left a hole here on the Forum - but though we appreciated him, most of us only knew him from his posts. Any one of you actually close to him would be feeling his loss even more keenly .
All possible kind wishes coming your way.

Wow...so young.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just heard this tragic news. 😢

RIP, Dorpie (Rob), thank you for letting us be a part of your pilgrim/forum family. Thank you for every contribution to this forum. I hope you will be a guide from above for peregrinos on the camino. You are missed...

My heartfelt condolences to family and friends.

Catherine, thank you. Thinking of Rob's friends here when you are processing your own grief is kindness above and beyond. I hope you and Rob's family know we are thinking of you with a lot of sympathy and heartfelt condolence. It is such a shock when someone young passes unexpectedly, as Rob did.
He left a hole here on the Forum - but though we appreciated him, most of us only knew him from his posts. Any one of you actually close to him would be feeling his loss even more keenly .
All possible kind wishes coming your way.
👣👣🙏

We always feel it when we read of a fellow pilgrim who passes away on the Camino but how much more so when it is someone that is known to us. And Rob was certainly known to members of this community where his contributions were valued. It is a great loss and there is no good time or good way to lose someone. But at least we know he was doing something he loved.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.