• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

RIP @Dorpie (Rob)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello All

I am happy to say I have confirmed a space for Rob's wake in London.

I have booked a private space on the ground floor at the Larrik in Marylebone on Saturday,16th November from 4pm.

Rob's father, Mike, will be at the pub between 4pm and 7pm and would love to meet as many of Rob's friends as possible, so please do try to come between these times if you can. We will still have the venue into the evening too.

https://www.thelarrik.com/contact

Please do reach out if you have any questions.

Catherine

Hello All

I am happy to say I have confirmed a space for Rob's wake in London.

I have booked a private space on the ground floor at the Larrik in Marylebone on Saturday,16th November from 4pm.

Rob's father, Mike, will be at the pub between 4pm and 7pm and would love to meet as many of Rob's friends as possible, so please do try to come between these times if you can. We will still have the venue into the evening too.

https://www.thelarrik.com/contact

Please do reach out if you have any questions.

Catherine
Thanks for this news. i will not be able to be there in person, but i will keep the day in my heart.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The mods thought that renaming the thread would alert a broader group to the very sad news about @Dorpie’s untimely death on the Camino.

The post by some of his concerned friends will be merged into this thread, because it has a great picture that will fill many people with sadness but also happiness that @Dorpie was doing it his way.
Thank you mods for making this decision as it alerted me and subsequently others. My wife and I were on the Camino when Rob died. We met several people a few days later who were in his room at the time of his death. My wife has stayed friends with them and has forwarded this thread on to them so they could know more about the man who has impacted their lives. Their replies are deeply grateful. RIP, Rob.

During the annual end-of-the-year meeting of the Dutch hospitaleros of Roncesvalles the ‘jefe’ (chief) of the group of eight hospitaleros that was working there last September told the other hospitaleros about this very sad event. With his knowledge and permission I tell you their story of that sad day.

He and his wife have tried to resuscitate Rob and have used the AED twice until professional medical care arrived and took over.

When Rob’s body was taken out of the albergue into the mourning car, all the hospitaleros - together with many pilgrims who were present at that moment - formed a guard of honour together.

During the pilgrim mass in church that night Rob’s name was mentioned by the priest, Don Valentin.

At 10 pm, when the albergue closed and the hospitaleros sat together in their appartment they had a moment of silence together; one of the hospitaleros read a poem in honour of the deceased and they listened to a song by a popular Dutch music group, of which the text – in short – means ‘It is a beautiful day to die’.

The following morning, when the albergue opened at 6 am. a photograph of Rob was put on the counter with two burning candles.

This sad event has had a major impact on the group of hospitaleros.

If anyone of the family wants to be in contact with the ‘jefe’ of the hospitaleros, please send me your contact-details in a pm.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is indeed so sad to hear. A great loss not just to pilgrims and upstanding members of the lodge, but also to the many people he touched throughout his life. This pilgrim is another in the thousands who have held their swansong on the Camino.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
if anyone knows Rob's family or has contact with them, I would like their permission/participation before moving forward. Please get in touch.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.