A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

RIP @fraluchi

peregrina2000

Staff member
One of our loyal longstanding forum members, @fraluchi, has died. I received the news from his wife Anne, @annakappa, this morning. I know that members have met both Anne and Aadrian, as they were hospitaleros (in Rabanal, I believe) and pilgrims on many caminos. I remember that Adriaan once accompanied disabled peregrinos on a guided walk. He was a kind and considerate forum member, so helpful to others. May he rest in peace, and may Anne take comfort knowing that his was a life well lived.

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
It is with great sadness that today we learn of the death of fellow forum member Aadrian. May he be at peace.
May his wife Anne and his family find the strength necessary to continue his memory.

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
@annakappa so sorry to hear this.
Naturally I think of our real life meetings and I hope the memory will make you smile even in your sadness. Thank you for telling Fernanda that Rob and I were one night behind you - so she saved us the double bed! Do you remember coming back to her place with a real live chicken in a cardboard box? What laughs we shared! Then you took the coastal path while we headed inland - but what a delight it was to meet up in Santiago and share Padrón peppers.
May your memories offer you some solace as you grieve.

Jim

Camino(s) past & future
2006- Camino Portuguese
2008- Camino Frances
2009- Sanabres extension of the VDLP
2010- Camino Frances
2011- Camino Potuguese
2014- Camino Frances
2017- Camino Finisterre
RIP, peregrino! Condolences to his wife and family/friends!

Camino(s) past & future
One of our loyal longstanding forum members, @fraluchi, has died. I received the news from his wife Anne, @annakappa, this morning. I know that members have met both Anne and Aadrian, as they were hospitaleros (in Rabanal, I believe) and pilgrims on many caminos. I remember that Aadrian once accompanied disabled peregrinos on a guided walk. He was a kind and considerate forum member, so helpful to others. May he rest in peace, and may Anne take comfort knowing that his was a life well lived.
I walked briefly with Anne and Aadrian on my 2nd day out of Porto a few years ago and they were lovely company.
Go Raibh a Anam uasail I measc na Naomh

Last edited:

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Although 75 years old then, Adriaan offered to assist with the first 'Caracoles' group I organised from Sarria to Santiago in 2013. We walked 5 - 7 km per day and took 17 days to Santiago and there were days I thought he would have a stroke pushing one of our ladies up the hills as she sat on her walker!
He regaled us with stories of his years as a hotel manager all over Europe. He was a linguist who could speak fluent Dutch, Italian, German, Spanish, English etc. One day we were enjoying a Cafe stop along the trail and two 'old' men sat down at the table next to us and started chatting in Dutch. "I think the shorter man is older than you" he said to Bob Sprenger who was the oldest in our group at 89. "Nah.. he's a young fella" said Bob. Adrian didn't hesitate to go over to the two men and ask the shorter man his age. He came back wagging his his head from side to side. "Bob, he is 91!" Uncle Bob, testy at times, said to Adrian, "So. Do you want me to call him Dad?"
Rest in Peace Meneer!

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Although 75 years old then, Adriaan offered to assist with the first 'Caracoles' group I organised from Sarria to Santiago in 2013. We walked 5 - 7 km per day and took 17 days to Santiago and there were days I thought he would have a stroke pushing one of our ladies up the hills as she sat on her walker!

He regaled us with stories of his years as a hotel manager all over Europe. He was a linguist who could speak fluent Dutch, Italian, German, Spanish, English etc. One day we were enjoying a Cafe stop along the trail and two 'old' men sat down at the table next to us and started chatting in Dutch. "I think the shorter man is older than you" he said to Bob Sprenger who was the oldest in our group at 89. "Nah.. he's a young fella" said Bob. Adrian didn't hesitate to go over to the two men and ask the
I didnot know this man, but having seen this photo and reading this information about him posted in response #33 by @sillydoll, I now know what they mean about by the old adage. "A photo speaks a thousand words". Much respect...

MichaelB10398

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago de Compostela, Lourdes to SdC, SJPP to SdC
There is a loss I feel when a member passes on. So many with which I have wanted to walk with, meet in person, and come to know more fully. Our world is smaller than we realize due to the relationships we garner on this forum and from the many people we meet on other paths. May joy and peace rest upon this pilgrim and may love and gratitude fill AnnaKappa's heart. This parting is but for a moment and the reunion the more sweeter.

jennysa

Camino(s) past & future
Camino F 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 C Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016 & 17 Primitivo 2018
I met up with Anne and Adrian on the Camino Aragones for a few days in 2012. I still can picture Adrian chatting to everyone at dinner at Arres and holding the floor on many subjects. RIP Adrian and heartfelt condolence to Anne.

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
RIP Adriaan. Your posts (and Anne's) have always been so kind, helpful, and supportive here. I for one have been blessed by your gentle presence on the Forum. Anne, our condolences as you go through this difficult time. ❤

shefollowsshells

Camino(s) past & future
Several alone and with children
One of our loyal longstanding forum members, @fraluchi, has died. I received the news from his wife Anne, @annakappa, this morning. I know that members have met both Anne and Aadrian, as they were hospitaleros (in Rabanal, I believe) and pilgrims on many caminos. I remember that Adriaan once accompanied disabled peregrinos on a guided walk. He was a kind and considerate forum member, so helpful to others. May he rest in peace, and may Anne take comfort knowing that his was a life well lived.
Just now seeing this as I have not been logged on in my travels. I fondly remember Aadrian’s participation here and advice. One of the pillars of this forum that is for certain.
Anna, you and your hubby are such an important part of this forum and so loved. We are sorry for your loss and are here for you.
Such sad news ...

Koidream

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francès 2012
Camino Finisterre 2012
Rest in peace Peregrino. Our thoughts are with his wife and family.

MichelleElynHogan

Veteran Member
@annakappa, We grieve this loss with you, even those of us who have never met you or Adrian. We know the loss that is felt. We also know that our lives would be greatly diminished had we never met the one we lost. They made our lives richer in so many ways.

One foot in front of the other Peregrina. (((Hugs))).

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Thank you, Laurie😢

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
Thank you everyone for your kind and heartfelt messages. My beloved Pilgrim reached his destination. He truly considered himself a Pilgrim. This cancer was an unusual one and very aggressive. It's hard to realize that this time last year Adriaan was still happily walking the nearby hills. He is now at rest.

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
@annakappa so sorry to hear this.
Naturally I think of our real life meetings and I hope the memory will make you smile even in your sadness. Thank you for telling Fernanda that Rob and I were one night behind you - so she saved us the double bed! Do you remember coming back to her place with a real live chicken in a cardboard box? What laughs we shared! Then you took the coastal path while we headed inland - but what a delight it was to meet up in Santiago and share Padrón peppers.
May your memories offer you some solace as you grieve.
Oh, I do remember, Rachel. Did you ever se the photo when Fernanda opened the box and found a live chicken?

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
View attachment 54627
He regaled us with stories of his years as a hotel manager all over Europe. He was a linguist who could speak fluent Dutch, Italian, German, Spanish, English etc. One day we were enjoying a Cafe stop along the trail and two 'old' men sat down at the table next to us and started chatting in Dutch. "I think the shorter man is older than you" he said to Bob Sprenger who was the oldest in our group at 89. "Nah.. he's a young fella" said Bob. Adrian didn't hesitate to go over to the two men and ask the shorter man his age. He came back wagging his his head from side to side. "Bob, he is 91!" Uncle Bob, testy at times, said to Adrian, "So. Do you want me to call him Dad?"
Rest in Peace Meneer!
I never saw that photo before, Sil!😊

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I met up with Anne and Adrian on the Camino Aragones for a few days in 2012. I still can picture Adrian chatting to everyone at dinner at Arres and holding the floor on many subjects. RIP Adrian and heartfelt condolence to Anne.
He certainly loved to chat, Jenny! And organize things! One of our friends from Rome wrote that she now can imagine Adriaan up there offering organizational suggestions to our Lord!😉😉😉

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
@annakappa, We grieve this loss with you, even those of us who have never met you or Adrian. We know the loss that is felt. We also know that our lives would be greatly diminished had we never met the one we lost. They made our lives richer in so many ways.

One foot in front of the other Peregrina. (((Hugs))).
That is so true! How much richer has my life been😊😊😊 He was an exceptional man❤

SSojourn

Camino(s) past & future
2019 Plan walk solo in April. SJP to St. James, Santiago
RIP,
RIP, Although no longer earthbound may your journey be blessed

Thornley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances x 2 , Norte x 2 , Le Puy x 3 , Portuguese x 2,
Mont St Michel , Primitivo .
May you have many years ahead Anna in good health full of wonderful memories .
A wonderful industry for a person to be employed .........Hospitality , which was richly enhanced by Adrian on his many journeys over the years.
May he rest in peace .

Last edited:

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
Rust in vrede, Adriaan. My heartfelt condolences to you, @annakappa!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I think Adriaan is inspecting all the rooms "upstairs" to check that the doors don't stick (something that really bugged him on the Camino) that the headboards are properly fixed to the walls; the light fittings have the correct number of globes and the bedside lights work, that there are towel rails for hand towels as well as bath towels and that the shower curtains aren't torn. That was his inspection ritual at each hotel or pension we stayed at! He never complained about these things but only commented if they weren't in order. Things will be jacked up in the "Hotel in the Sky'!

koilife

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF w/ son #1 (2013); Logrono-Leon/Salvador/Primitivo w/ son #2 (2016)
Happy are those who find refuge in you,
whose hearts are set on pilgrim roads.
As they pass through the Baca valley,
they find spring water to drink.
Also from pools the Lord provides water
for those who lose their way.
They pass through outer and inner wall
and see the God of gods on Zion.
--- Ps 84:6-8

Eternal rest grant onto Adriaan, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Thank you everyone for your kind and heartfelt messages. My beloved Pilgrim reached his destination. He truly considered himself a Pilgrim. This cancer was an unusual one and very aggressive. It's hard to realize that this time last year Adriaan was still happily walking the nearby hills. He is now at rest.
May he rest in peace; and rise with Christ in glory.
Our love and sympathy to you and all the family

RENSHAW

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2003 CF Roncesvalles to Santiago
2/4 weeks every year on CF reaching Burgos or Leon. Hospitalero San Anton June 2016.

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 248 25.2%