• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rising cost of albergues 2021????

maladjusted

Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone know if the cost of albergues on the camino frances has risen since the pandemic? I understand they have to, but some are going for 30 euros online whereas they were only 8 euros in 2018.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just had a look on https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances and checked about 20 stages. If Gronze is reasonably accurate then I'd say you should budget 15 euros per night if aiming at the cheaper end of the albergue range. The majority of the ones that are closed are the municipal and parroquial albergues and these are either usually the cheapest. But not all of them are closed. Average costs might well be higher if it is busy and the budget options are already full by the time you arrive somewhere.
I'd be very interested to hear more about the situation on the ground from those who are walking now.
PS maybe your average is higher because you are just reviewing online booking options?

I just had a look on https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances and checked about 20 stages. If Gronze is reasonably accurate then I'd say you should budget 15 euros per night if aiming at the cheaper end of the albergue range. The majority of the ones that are closed are the municipal and parroquial albergues and these are either usually the cheapest. But not all of them are closed. Average costs might well be higher if it is busy and the budget options are already full by the time you arrive somewhere.
I'd be very interested to hear more about the situation on the ground from those who are walking now.
PS maybe your average is higher because you are just reviewing online booking options?
Many thanks, Tom
Do you know if Gronze is up to date? Further, how does advance booking of albergues work? Three years ago it was just a matter of turning up but I imagine it’s more of a scrap for beds given the current climate…

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:
Many thanks, Tom
Do you know if Gronze is up to date? Further, how does advance booking of albergues work? Three years ago it was just a matter of turning up but I imagine it’s more of a scrap for beds given the current climate…
We have our bookings all set for September both along the Camino Portugués and then from SdC -Muxia- Finisterre. I found there to be some differences between the prices I found on Booking.com with the same places referenced on Gronze. In general, prices seemed a bit lower on Gronze than what I was able to reserve at. And, in just two months time, the availability of places seems to have significantly decreased. People seem to be taking the possibility of the daily “bed race” seriously and making reservations. With private albergues, I have primarily contacted them by email to reserve beds/rooms with very good success. At places that don’t take reservations, arriving early in the afternoon has worked well for me, but that might also mean very early morning departures to get ahead of the crowd.

I'm probably averaging twelve dollars a night on the CF so far between Pamplona and Burgos. Not many municipal albergues are open. I did stay in one and it cost Eight dollars, but they also charged you one dollar fifty for sheet and pillow cases. In the private albergues there was no extra charge for the sheets. (Sorry. Euros not dollars.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It sounds like booking ahead is a necessity right now between Sarria and Santiago a cording to this thread
Thank you for your prompt response, trecile 🙏
We have our bookings all set for September both along the Camino Portugués and then from SdC -Muxia- Finisterre. I found there to be some differences between the prices I found on Booking.com with the same places referenced on Gronze. In general, prices seemed a bit lower on Gronze than what I was able to reserve at. And, in just two months time, the availability of places seems to have significantly decreased. People seem to be taking the possibility of the daily “bed race” seriously and making reservations. With private albergues, I have primarily contacted them by email to reserve beds/rooms with very good success. At places that don’t take reservations, arriving early in the afternoon has worked well for me, but that might also mean very early morning departures to get ahead of the crowd.
Many thanks, Grousedoctor ,
I imagine I’ll go with the flow and survey the lay of the land when I get there in a couple of weeks !

I'm probably averaging twelve dollars a night on the CF so far between Pamplona and Burgos. Not many municipal albergues are open. I did stay in one and it cost Eight dollars, but they also charged you one dollar fifty for sheet and pillow cases. In the private albergues there was no extra charge for the sheets. (Sorry. Euros not dollars.)
What is the footfall like Anna?

I found there to be some differences between the prices I found on Booking.com with the same places referenced on Gronze.
Had you booked directly you may have gotten the lower prices. Booking.com does take a commission. But I often don't mind paying that little extra for the convenience of using booking.com.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Had you booked directly you may have gotten the lower prices. Booking.com does take a commission. But I often don't mind paying that little extra for the convenience of using booking.com.
If people have the ability to speak enough Spanish they should call the albergue/pension/hostel themselves and reserve a room. As you said it is a lower price than getting it on Booking.com. Also regardless of what you pay, Booking takes 15% and sometimes more out of the pocket of the owner of where you are sleeping. Now more than ever they need every euro they can get. A surprising number of albergues etc have websites and many of them allow you to book online. This can also make the process alot easier and in most cases cheaper than the corporate websites.

If people have the ability to speak enough Spanish they should call the albergue/pension/hostel themselves and reserve a room. As you said it is a lower price than getting it on Booking.com. Also regardless of what you pay, Booking takes 15% and sometimes more out of the pocket of the owner of where you are sleeping. Now more than ever they need every euro they can get. A surprising number of albergues etc have websites and many of them allow you to book online. This can also make the process alot easier and in most cases cheaper than the corporate websites.
Thank you It56ny
Thankfully my Spanish is quite good
Merci Beaucoup as they say in Burgos

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am presently about halfway on the Camino Frances. Compared to process stated in 2019 guidebooks, lodging costs are averaging about 10% higher, and it seems meals at albergues are a bit more as well. All of the municipal albergues are closed at this point, probably to help support the private ones, all of which have been excellent.

It sounds like booking ahead is a necessity right now between Sarria and Santiago according to this thread
I have always thrown my caution to the wind I rarely book ahead my motto is there will always be a pension or small hotel. My Camino does not permit me to book ahead unless getting close to Santiago. Furthermore don't carry a cell phone so limits me and I find it's a better and relaxing Camino. That's why rarely stay in albergues so do not have to put up with the noise of cell phones and texting unending.

It sounds like booking ahead is a necessity right now between Sarria and Santiago according to this thread
Very interesting to read the experiences on the thread Trecile has linked to. And to see how different the experiences are after Sarria. The over-booking looks like a nightmare. But a few people seem to have developed successful strategies
- use Galician Municipals. These aren't bookable (but seem to be open, unlike many of the non-Galician ones) and seem to have been overlooked by the pilgrims that want to always book ahead.
- hang around (if you can stay cool and calm about not having a bed by early evening) because there will inevitably be 'no-shows' by people who don't turn up and don't notify the albergue. I guess you can refine this approach by asking the hospi how many have yet to show and when the cut-off time is for re-allocating the bed.
Interesting also to read about the limit to 30% capacity, although it wasn't clear whether the albergues get round this by having those pods?
Before Sarria it all looks pretty manageable at the moment and without a massive increase in cost. But I guess that could change completely if there's a big September rush. At which point all those people like me, desperate to get back to Spain, but biding their time, may decide it is finally OK to go - and then there'll be gridlock! :eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have always thrown my caution to the wind I rarely book ahead my motto is there will always be a pension or small hotel. My Camino does not permit me to book ahead unless getting close to Santiago. Furthermore don't carry a cell phone so limits me and I find it's a better and relaxing Camino. That's why rarely stay in albergues so do not have to put up with the noise of cell phones and texting unending.
Have arrived in Santiago this morning after completing the Camino Portuguese Variant Espiritual and then going back to Ponferrada and walking the route via Caldes de Rei. There was not one night booked ahead, as I left the choosing to when arriving at the destination for that day.

Strongly advise to take into account that there are many private albergue that are not listed on Booking.com.

I might mention there was one exception to my not booking ahead, as on the Variant Espiritual I did try to book to stay overnight at the monastery at Armenteira. I received a reply to my email informing that they were not taking peregrinos during the summer months. However, when I turned up to visit, it turned out that they were taking overnight visitors, and so I stayed there.

I believe that if you are willing to take the risk, you could possibly walk the Camino Portuguese on the coast route without making fixed advance reservations. My experience is that the magic of the Camino will almost certainly ensure that a peregrino is NOT left stranded without somewhere to put there head down for the night

Last edited:
I am presently about halfway on the Camino Frances. Compared to process stated in 2019 guidebooks, lodging costs are averaging about 10% higher, and it seems meals at albergues are a bit more as well. All of the municipal albergues are closed at this point, probably to help support the private ones, all of which have been excellent.
Many thanks for the update, Brad 👍

Does anyone know if the cost of albergues on the camino frances has risen since the pandemic? I understand they have to, but some are going for 30 euros online whereas they were only 8 euros in 2018.
I just completed the Del Norte, then fisterra and Muxia. I think I only came across 1 that was 8 euros, I think most were either 12 or 15. We didn't always stay in Albergues. We had to resort to bookings.com several times and a couple of times we found a place through Airbnb -- which I won't recommend. They won't reply back so I'm having to dispute my charges. The host said the listing was supposed to have been taken down but airbnb took my money.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back