• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

River path to Burgos closed.

Hiawatha

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean Pied de Port - Finisterra 2017
GR70 France 2018
Via Francigena 2019
As of June 4th according to local sources the alternative path to Burgos via the river is impassable. I have not seen it myself but it isn't hard to believe ?considering the torrential rain of the past few days in the region of Atapuerca and Burgos itself .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for posting this, perhaps other pilgrims can chime in the next days to keep us uptodate? Buen Camino, SY

. . . considering the torrential rain of the past few days in the region of Atapuerca and Burgos itself .

What a minute. Are you saying that it rains along the Camino in summer and I can't walk the entire way in my Crocks or bare feet? What?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If the River Path is closed that means pilgrims must walk the dreaded Factory Path, going around the airport and trudging kilometer after kilometer on sidewalks past factories, businesses, and car dealerships. The heavy truck traffic is noisy and smelly. The lack of food, water, and toilets is depressing. By the time you get to the Cathedral Square you are a little puddle of overwrought hungry exhausted pity-patty, ready for the cubical bunk in the municipal.
Could be worse.
Could be raining.
upload_2017-6-5_5-40-27.png

I would appreciate any updates to this discussion in the next three weeks. Sounds ilke it has been cloed due to flooding?
Daughter and i start the camino on the 21 and might expect to be there?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I met a young pilgrim today that said she used the river path herself . Muddy and slippery , not closed and obviously passable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I HATE mud!

You can hose me down and throw snow at me all day on the Camino with wind blowing in my face...been there done that.

But I HATE mud...
Me too.
I gain weight just looking at someone eating cookies.
I gain weight watching cooking shows.
I gain weight going to the Doctor's office because his scale is broken and mine is correct.
And I gain weight when I walk thru the mud.mud.png It's just not fair.

I HATE mud!

You can hose me down and throw snow at me all day on the Camino with wind blowing in my face...been there done that.

But I HATE mud...

Me three. 2014, February fell in MUD and sprained ankle on downside of Alto de Perdon. I had a hard time forgiving the mud for ankle. Some days, I would send up a prayer requesting no, mud. I learned to stop requesting mud cessation, but strength to walk through it.:mad::confused::eek::oops:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If the River Path is closed that means pilgrims must walk the dreaded Factory Path ....

No must about it, Coleen. There is a regular city bus service that will deliver one from such a fate. When I went by there I, and several others, hopped on a bus and it took us into the city centre. It was the only section of the entire Camino where I "cheated" but I didn't feel a bit guilty. Walking it is for fanatical completists and/or masochists only.

Me too.
I gain weight just looking at someone eating cookies.
I gain weight watching cooking shows.
I gain weight going to the Doctor's office because his scale is broken and mine is correct.
And I gain weight when I walk thru the mud.View attachment 34329 It's just not fair.
Mud can also make you taller, as you add an inch or so to the soles of your shoes. :p

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
If the River Path is closed that means pilgrims must walk the dreaded Factory Path, going around the airport and trudging kilometer after kilometer on sidewalks past factories, businesses, and car dealerships. The heavy truck traffic is noisy and smelly. The lack of food, water, and toilets is depressing. By the time you get to the Cathedral Square you are a little puddle of overwrought hungry exhausted pity-patty, ready for the cubical bunk in the municipal.
Could be worse.
Could be raining.
View attachment 34303
Although I planned to walk the river path yesterday (and was in fear of the dreaded industrial path after all these posts) I couldn't find the river path and accidentally walked the industrial path. No big deal! I arrived at the beautiful gates of Burgos not "overwrought" (yes I was exhausted but I always am after 6 hours of walking in the heat)- so FEAR NOT fellow paregrinos, the dire warnings are overwrought, the industrial path is not.

I found it demoralising, kilometers of hard, grid embossed paving and nary a bush to pee behind anywhere .
My advice , pee at the last bush then don't drink for the last four km

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IMG_0685.JPG Almost had the same thing happen to my wife and I in April 2017.
The day after we arrived in Burgos, torrential rains flooded a lot of the river trail. The river by the cathedral was over the banks and the grassy treed area next to the river was completely under water.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I are staying tonight in Atapuerca and plan to walk the river route into Burgos tomorrow, assuming we find it ok. It's our first Camino.

Ok, second information update from someone we were talking with tonight in Atapuerca. Her friend walked the river walk into Burgos today, she said, sent her a text today and highly recommended it to her for tomorrow.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found it demoralising, kilometers of hard, grid embossed paving and nary a bush to pee behind anywhere .
Pop into one of the petrol stations! They often have facilities. It helped me on the way into León.

Or use the spotlessly clean facilities in the supermarket;-)

The long slog along the industrial route into Burgos was indeed grim -- my least favorite part of the entire Camino. But how sweet the reward when I finally, finally arrived in the old town and saw the magnificent cathedral!

The (thankfully infrequent) dull industrial/suburban parts of the Camino helped me appreciate the many beautiful remote stretches all that much more.

Don't skip the "boring" parts of the Camino. Shadows allow us to better perceive the light.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Catch the bus from Hotel Buenos Aires! You'll be giddy with the speed of things!

Ok, second information update from someone we were talking with tonight in Atapuerca. Her friend walked the river walk into Burgos today, she said, sent her a text today and highly recommended it to her for tomorrow.
Sounds like good info, enjoy your walk along the river!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
From my experience it's not a good idea for females to walk the river route by themselves. Cars and factories and the ocassional nice supermercado a far better option than wastelands populated by men doing creepy stuff.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I happened on to the industrial path at 11.30 am on a Sunday . Everything was closed . Even so I would not have missed one step of it even though I whinged to myself the whole knee crossing way :)

As of 4 days ago the path was open again.
One of my Camino friends walked it as I took the bus through the industrial section....

Did you get to walk the river path?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We hope to walk the river path next month. Does anyone know the current conditions?

The river route is the one compensation for having to go around what is possibly the world’s most pointless airport.

Depends on the run off from the snow and rain. It was closed in 2016 the day after we walked it. Picture below is the day we walked it on April 19th, 2016. The second picture is after a monsoon rain overnight in Burgos. This is of the river in the Burgos itself. We heard from other walkers the path had flooded out overnight, so less than 12 hours after we walked it.IMG_0626.JPGIMG_0686.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The river route is the one compensation for having to go around what is possibly the world’s most pointless airport.

Never a truer thing said. I HATE that airport.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please tell me in what town is the Hotel Buenos Aires?
The clue is in the title of the post - Burgos ;) It's here in the suburb called Villafria (where the little star is)

Hotel Buenos Aires

The bus stop is the pole just before the driveway into the car park. It has a time table on it. Take the bus to the Old Theatre - your feet will bless you for it.

Just noticed there are two periginas sitting outside waiting for the bus!

Peg and I stayed at the Hotal Buenos Aires two nights and liked it. Nice hotel just a bit dated. It has a restaurant and a cafe right by the bus stop. There are other hotels just a little further on the N-1 (camino) to the west with bus stops also. Take a look: https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.364483,-3.622070&z=18&t=h
The photo shows cars parked next to the cafe where there were tables and umbrellas set up when we were there.

In the afternoon of day 1 we took the bus into town for errands and got to see the dreary camino route into town. On day 2 we again took the handy bus in to tour the city. On day 3 we walked back past the airport to walk the river route to the other side of town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My friend walked the river route into Burgos yesterday.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.