• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert River warning after Yelbes

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Anyone in the area would need to go on the (dangerous) road.
“Dangerous” is an understatement. I’ve walked on dangerous camino stretches, but this one was one of the most hair-raising of any. The scariest moments were when you saw a truck coming towards you, and then you saw that a car was passing the truck that was coming towards you, and you just prayed that everyone stayed in their lane. I occasionally flattened myself against the guard rail when it looked particularly scary, but at some point you just decide that if you’re ever going to make it through this stretch you can’t stop every time a truck comes barreling towards you.

I would love to contribute to a fundraising effort to get the alternative built that the facebook page describes, so if you know of anything, please post here!

A follow-up to show how quickly things change. Just today, Álvaro Lazaga took the Yelbes option and walked across the Burdalo River. No higher than his mid-calf. The video shows how the whole route after Yelbes is well marked, and you can see the river crossing at about minute 7 of the video.

And for future pilgrims on the Mozárabe, it seems like the Ayuntamiento in Medellín is the place to find out about the water level. The police would probably also be a good source of info.

But you should definitely find out about the water level before you decide to go via Yelbes, because if the river is impassable, you will have to add many kms to your day, not sure how many, but it could be as many as 9 or 10.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A follow-up to show how quickly things change. Just today, Álvaro Lazaga took the Yelbes option and walked across the Burdalo River. No higher than his mid-calf. The video shows how the whole route after Yelbes is well marked, and you can see the river crossing at about minute 7 of the video.

And for future pilgrims on the Mozárabe, it seems like the Ayuntamiento in Medellín is the place to find out about the water level. The police would probably also be a good source of info.

But you should definitely find out about the water level before you decide to go via Yelbes, because if the river is impassable, you will have to add many kms to your day, not sure how many, but it could be as many as 9 or 10.
Thanks! Good to know, I'm on the Mozarabe now so this is very useful info.

Hi, @Sunopo,

Would love to hear how it’s going for you. I absolutely loved the Mozárabe. Did you start in Almería? Where are you now?
I started in Almeria and tonight I'm in Guadix at the Casona de Luz a really nice and comfortable place.
It's a wonderful Camino so far and glad I'm here now, temperatures already in low 20 C even at altitude, nicely sunburned mainly on the left side 😂. My destination is Mérida, I walked VdlP last year.
I can see on the Mozarabe Facebook page that Nely is busy greeting new departures nearly every day, glad to see their hard work is paying off and that this Camino is gaining in popularity. There are hospitaleros at both Albodoloy and Abla at the moment, offering dinner which
has been really nice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Crossed the Burdalo river a couple of days ago, water level still about calf height. Going this way via Yelbes when water level allows avoids all dangerous road except for the first few kilometers out of Don Benito really terrible 😱.
Am in Mérida now having finished the Mozarabe. It was wonderful.
I had the pleasure to walk a few days with Angel, his two horses, a mule and his dog. They are now heading north on the VdlP. If you see them please say hello from Susan.

IMG-20230405-WA0003.jpg

Crossed the Burdalo river a couple of days ago, water level still about calf height.
Thanks so much for the update. Does that mean that going forward this season, the river will be passable unless there are huge storms that raise the level temporarily?

Did you get info on the water level before starting out? If so, from whom?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, @Sunopo! Congratulations on your Camino Mozárabe. Were the trees and flowers blooming? Buen camino, Laurie

DSC_2955.JPGDSC_2955.JPGI didn't ask anyone for status on river because I knew it had not rained in the region since Alvaro went through. However I was surprised at the flow of water, if it had been to the knees I would have worried about being knocked over. This amount of water must come from somewhere unrelated to just local rain storms. If it had rained recently I would definitely have enquired in Yelbes before going that way.
Yes trees, flowers, all in bloom but it was also very obvious especially up to Córdoba that the region suffers from lack of rain this year. DSC_2871.jpgDSC_2871.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I've just completed the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria. My first Camino was the Camino Frances from SJPDP in October 2021. I don't have a trip report as such. I know people who trip on mushrooms...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back