Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Riverside Walk Out Of Lugo Re-routed?

notion900

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
>
Just had lunch today with José Manuel @xmsg and he told me that he had heard that the camino Primitivo is being rerouted away from the pleasant riverside path out of Lugo. This is due to a landowner challenging the path in the courts. Has anyone seen any of the waymarkers being changed lately, or walked the new route?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just had lunch today with José Manuel @xmsg and he told me that he had heard that the camino Primitivo is being rerouted away from the pleasant riverside path out of Lugo. This is due to a landowner challenging the path in the courts. Has anyone seen any of the waymarkers being changed lately, or walked the new route?

I cannot remember "a pleasant riverside path" out of Lugo. Over the bridge (Ponte Vella) turn right onto the Fermin Rivera (footpath alongside road) to the church of San Lazaro where the Camino forks left. I was not aware of "private land" the way I have walked (twice).
Am I missing something??

Blessings
Tio Tel

I don't know - José is from Friol, but lives in Sevilla most of the year, so he had just heard it from friends and the media. That's why I am posting on here in case anyone knows more.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The fact that Jose is from Friol might explain this. According to both Gronze and our CSJ guide the Camino Primitivo is, as given above by @TerryB, on minor roads to the junction where it turns left uphill. The Friol arm continues on the road by the river to eventually meet the Norte. Maybe that goes then onto private land, or some folk have used a path without permission. The yellow arrows follow the Camino and I think the Friol arrows are green.

Sure, José made the green arrows, so he may have been talking about them, not the main Primitivo. I will ask him for clarification and get back with any updates.

Just to be clear for those walking the Primitivo - the Friol arm is not the Primitivo, but the link from the Primitivo from Lugo to the Norte (Friol-Sobrado de Monxes).
It does sound as though that is probably the route that Jose is talking about. We look forward to the clarification for the benefit of those crossing from one Camino to the other. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would love to hear the outcome of this as having walked the Primitivo a few years ago I want to take my 11 year old a shorter distance and was thinking of starting in Lugo and doing the Friol route but don't want to do if there are problems, quite a few people were talking about this route when I was there as a good alternative

Just like Jools I would like to know if the first part of the route out of Lugo is still well waymarked. I think that José checked the route in August 2017, but I'm not quite sure. We're starting the Camino next monday and would love to walk the Camino Verde from Lugo to Sobrado des Monxes also. And one more thing, is there a way to avoid Arzua and take an alternative route from Sobrado to Santiago?

Regards!

The Beloved and I walked the Verde via Friol to Sobrado in May 2017. With a couple of 'pay attention' bits, the route was well marked and the way-notes available on the forum and elsewhere were good.

There is an ongoing dispute around a section of the route not long after leaving Lugo which follows an, occasionally boardwalked, path through woodland along the river and past a water mill. The route is much used by Joggers, MTB riders and Peregrinos de Domingo. The owners of the mill are apparently upset by their rural isolation being impeded. The particular function of the Junta that first built the walk-way are indifferent. Pilgrims are reminded to pay respect to their locality. And that ' no one said the way was easy...'.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks very much for your respons Tincatinker. On our way now to Oviedo!

Hi all, sorry for the late update I have been having big problems with this site running so slow on my computer I can barely use it. José Manuel and I walked the route last year and refreshed the waymarks. We found no problems at the boardwalked section at that time. There is also another route, so even if the boardwalks were removed, you can still do the walk, it's just that the boardwalk section is so pretty it would be a shame if it were to become inaccessible. José Manuel's family all live in Friol, so he is usually well up on local developments, if you want to contact him, send a PM to him on here and it alerts him via email - he is @xmsg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.