• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road 25k Different from Trail 25k

Flig

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Sept 2021
Planning on taking the Primitivo route this Sept. Practicing for the flat paved stretch around Lugo. Just finished a 25k walk, with pack and no trekking poles. Man, there is a significant difference between walking on the pavement and walking on trails and graveled roads. Faster pace on the hardball but different/new hotspots on the feet and more upper body/torso fatigue.

I know intellectually, that these are different types of walking, but it doesn’t hurt (OK, maybe it did hurt a bit) to remind your body what your brain knows. My intent is to do the same route next weekend with trekking poles..

P.S. My trekking poles have rubber tips so that I don’t drive everyone insane with the constant tap, tap, tap of metal tips on pavement..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not sure about your question but I will interpret it this way. I have recently bought road runner shoes ( Altra Torin 5 wide) and I would prefer them on the Primitivo over Altra LP 5 wide. My reason as you have highlighted is there is more asphalt than proper trail paths at certain points on the Primitivo, + I think when I need proper trail shoes to grip on some surfaces I, I think which Caminos are suitable for them, I don't look at the CP as best matched with trail runners, yes there is trail but they are manangable with variable soles.+ I can use rubber tips on hiking poles to diminish tapping noise,which I have actually done several times on the CP.
Ps walking with road runners is more chilling and comfortable than trail runners ( I hope).

Last edited:
Just finished a 25k walk, with pack and no trekking poles. Man, there is a significant difference between walking on the pavement and walking on trails and graveled roads. Faster pace on the hardball but different/new hotspots on the feet and more upper body/torso fatigue.
Why didn't you use your poles? I always use my poles when carrying my pack, regardless of the terrain. I think that they really helps with the upper body fatigue. I really noticed the difference when I was on the Camino Portuguese. I stowed my poles on my pack when I entered Valença, which I always do when walking through busier towns. I decided not to stop and take them off my pack for the short walk to Tui. I could really feel the difference in my upper back!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Since you are just practicing, getting walk fit, then getting your body used to walking with and without poles sort of makes sense. Hopefully you will also practice with your backpack at required weight. You can always fill it up with bottled water and if it is too much the first couple of times you can always pour some away to reduce weight quickly. Just don't invite injury by persevering with weight on your back for the sake of it, else you'll become disheartened. Then you'll discover the secret of walking distances isn't so much physical ability on its own but you need the mental strength to go with it. If you notice hotspots stop immediately and sort them out, preventing blisters is so much better and possibly easier than treating them.

Poles when used for every step, in all terrain, as a "fluid" extension of your arms, can share the load a little and significantly reduce the load on your feet and increase endurance. Difficult surfaces, tired at the end of a long day, everywhere except crowds. And build up to some or many training days with a pack a few kgs over your Camino weight.

Planning on taking the Primitivo route this Sept. Practicing for the flat paved stretch around Lugo. Just finished a 25k walk, with pack and no trekking poles. Man, there is a significant difference between walking on the pavement and walking on trails and graveled roads. Faster pace on the hardball but different/new hotspots on the feet and more upper body/torso fatigue.

I know intellectually, that these are different types of walking, but it doesn’t hurt (OK, maybe it did hurt a bit) to remind your body what your brain knows. My intent is to do the same route next weekend with trekking poles..

P.S. My trekking poles have rubber tips so that I don’t drive everyone insane with the constant tap, tap, tap of metal tips on pavement..
forget about the insanity! The rubber tips are there to protect the poles :) And besides, the majority of your fellow pavement users ( including mummies with prams, cyclists, skateboarders, giant mobility scooters etc) are either on their mobiles or have their ears clogged with buds and canned music, and seldom see you never mind hear you! Dog walkers too, seem to think that Fido has priority over the elderly and that their spoiled pooch must use the pavement whilst the wrinklies aka ME have to leap into the road! Ah, the joys of being a flatlander and doing one's training in urban! Makes the hardships of Camino a picnic and a good reason for my LOVE of the MESETA! :) :) :)

Buen Camino

Samarkand.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree there is an enormous difference between walking on an even and smooth road surface and hiking on a trail. A danger of walking hard surface is that most of us can walk significantly faster on it. This means your joints and footpads take more punishment, both because of speed and because of the likelihood of walking more miles. In some ways, this can be harder on your body than walking a rocky, rooty, uneven trail surface where you are going slowly.

In much the same way as a day of uphill (calf muscle strain, breathing) is different to a day of downhill (bruised toes, upper thigh strain, wobbly legs), so practicing all road surfaces and elevations helps.

Oh and I now live in Porto (3 months now) where there are hills everywhere, which is great everyday training for the Camino as I walk everywhere. Add to that cobbled roads and I have ditched any form of heel/wedge/slip on shoes and live daily in trainers!

I know there are a lot of forum members who are much more informed than I about the proper way to use poles so that they provide the most ergonomic benefits. I use them almost on every camino step I take (with rubber tips in urban areas and on asphalt) and I probably don’t use them perfectly. But the one huge advantage that I find with them is that, in the words of @NualaOC, I think, they prevent a stumble from turning into a face plant. And having taken a few of those face plants, I am eager to avoid a repeat.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But the one huge advantage that I find with them is that, in the words of @NualaOC, I think, they prevent a stumble from turning into a face plant. And having taken a few of those face plants, I am eager to avoid a repeat.
Ditto. They've saved me a number of times.
That said, my one spectacular faceplant (literally) happened was when I was using poles. So they don't make one completely immune. I went down as I was flying along on an utterly flat surface at fast morning speed (in the park outside of Logroño) - it happened so fast that I have no idea what caused the fall. I landed face down on top of both poles, with my wrists crossed, which made getting up a real challenge. 🤪🤣

Why didn't you use your poles? I always use my poles when carrying my pack, regardless of the terrain.
I could go into a long explanation about wanting to try different terrain types with different load outs and my scientific approach to gathering data and factoring all the variables using a Monte Carlo style analysis, I could tell you that. However, the truth is i forgot to load the poles in the car. I regret my packing error now, and at the 20k mark.

I know there are a lot of forum members who are much more informed than I about the proper way to use poles so that they provide the most ergonomic benefits. I use them almost on every camino step I take (with rubber tips in urban areas and on asphalt) and I probably don’t use them perfectly. But the one huge advantage that I find with them is that, in the words of @NualaOC, I think, they prevent a stumble from turning into a face plant. And having taken a few of those face plants, I am eager to avoid a repeat.
Agreed! As I have a severe balance problem left hand side, I have taken a few plants in my time :) I have developed a last stand style in that irrespective of my use of the poles as outriggers , when due to circumstances my face is heading for the ground I throw my arms and poles out at 45 degrees, curse most horribly and carry on hitting the ground! This song and dance act usually absorbs the shock and is a source of amusement to the onlookers! :) I put it down to the dotage ( 83 on 20 July) and in recognition of this am planning the whole bloody thing again for Easter next year. :)

Keep on truckin sez me! May actually succumb to forwarding my pack this time tho! :)

Buen camino

Samarkand.

I am hoping to help someone walk in honour of someone they lost so the drive is there.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back