Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road construction going into Rodeiro?

peregrina2000

Staff member
When I last walked the Invierno, there were roadworks betwen the windmills after Monte Faro (actually it was a little further on, after you crossed the CG-2.1 and PO-533, the spot where that large waymarker that says it was put there by Rodeiro). I remember a descent from the highway with all sorts of earthmoving being done.

Then, further along, after the Pazo de Camba before Leboro, there were quite a few places where there was construction and sometimes paths were closed off. I had no problem, miraculously, but the day I walked into Rodeiro I met a huge busload of pilgrime early in the morning after Peñasillás. They ended their walk in Rodeiro and many of them told me they got lost on this stretch. Here is what the guide says, and I wonder if anyone from 2017 can comment on the current status and whether this should be modified.

From the point where you leave the LU-P-1809 before Leboro, the Camino takes off-road options nearly all the way into Rodeiro. In summer 2015 there was road construction going on and many temporary signs closing off roads to traffic. I just kept going straight ahead (that is, never taking a turn onto a dirt road that was signed as being under construction) and had no problem. But a large group walking from Ponferrada, who all arrived in Rodeiro after I did, told me that many members of their group got lost on this stretch. 2016 pilgrims confirm that construction is ongoing. Good news – a February 2017 pilgrim reports that all is well marked, no detours! (I decided to leave the alert in, just in case there is more roadwork this summer, but hopefully new pilgrims can confirm that things are easy and clear).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked Camino de Invierno at the end of October and finished in Santiago and I didn’t see any main road construction around that area Pazo de Camba , not near Monte Faro , nor near Rodeiro!
No problems going through that area!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Whew! Road construction means MUD, lots of MUD. I hate mud!

My 2018 Camino is the Invierno from Ponferrada to Santiago. I depart walking on 13 April.

So, this is welcome, VERY welcome news.

Thanks

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.