Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Road Markings in Belgium and France

ssimonn321

Year of past OR future Camino
I live in Ghent near Saint Jacob cathedral where the via Scaldea route passes. I would like to start my first camino by just walking out of my door onto the route. I was wondering if there is sufficient road markings since I don't like using maps, especially digital. Is it possible or should I buy the official maps? (which would be around 7 books starting from Ghent)

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
I live in Ghent near Saint Jacob cathedral where the via Scaldea route passes. I would like to start my first camino by just walking out of my door onto the route. I was wondering if there is sufficient road markings since I don't like using maps, especially digital. Is it possible or should I buy the official maps? (which would be around 7 books starting from Ghent)

Hi fellow Belgian! And welcome on this forum.

Are you already familiar with the website and the work from the Flemish confraternity? They have a wealth of information available. I guess their open door moment on Saturday will now be suspended due to Covid but take a look here.

I would invest in some maps ( books or gps tracks ) yes, especially for the part in Belgium and the north of France.

Please feel free to ask us more details if you like.

O Peracha

Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
Although not chemin st jacques, I've hiked across Belgium - from Holland to Luxembourg and the trail markings were excellent. However, personally I would not do a long distance walk without a map(s) with my preference being digital.

I really enjoyed hiking thru Belgium and this sounds like a grand adventure.

Bon courage.

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
Although not chemin st jacques, I've hiked across Belgium - from Holland to Luxembourg and the trail markings were excellent. However, personally I would not do a long distance walk without a map(s) with my preference being digital.

I really enjoyed hiking thru Belgium and this sounds like a grand adventure.

Bon courage.

Indeed the GR markings here in this country are very good!
Sometimes the Camino roads are the same as the GR but ever so often not.
The local confraternities do their best with markings ( stickers ) but I know from experience on day trips that you need a map because the markings in Belgium are very limited compared with Spain.

Last edited:

ukjohn99

Camino Frances 2009 St Jean to Santiago
I would recommend some maps especially as you could plot a route on them. What a great idea simply to leave your house and start walking. I have thought of doing the same from my house in the UK but my main stumbling block would be France because I do not speak French. I wish you all the very best and, of course, Buen camino!

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Barbara

Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
I would recommend some maps especially as you could plot a route on them. What a great idea simply to leave your house and start walking. I have thought of doing the same from my house in the UK but my main stumbling block would be France because I do not speak French. I wish you all the very best and, of course, Buen camino!
Well, that's the way it was before we had trains and aeroplanes. Most visitors to France seem to manage without speaking French. Why not give it a go?

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads