• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road Markings in Belgium and France

ssimonn321

Time of past OR future Camino
I live in Ghent near Saint Jacob cathedral where the via Scaldea route passes. I would like to start my first camino by just walking out of my door onto the route. I was wondering if there is sufficient road markings since I don't like using maps, especially digital. Is it possible or should I buy the official maps? (which would be around 7 books starting from Ghent)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I live in Ghent near Saint Jacob cathedral where the via Scaldea route passes. I would like to start my first camino by just walking out of my door onto the route. I was wondering if there is sufficient road markings since I don't like using maps, especially digital. Is it possible or should I buy the official maps? (which would be around 7 books starting from Ghent)

Hi fellow Belgian! And welcome on this forum.

Are you already familiar with the website and the work from the Flemish confraternity? They have a wealth of information available. I guess their open door moment on Saturday will now be suspended due to Covid but take a look here.

I would invest in some maps ( books or gps tracks ) yes, especially for the part in Belgium and the north of France.

Please feel free to ask us more details if you like.

Although not chemin st jacques, I've hiked across Belgium - from Holland to Luxembourg and the trail markings were excellent. However, personally I would not do a long distance walk without a map(s) with my preference being digital.

I really enjoyed hiking thru Belgium and this sounds like a grand adventure.

Bon courage.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Although not chemin st jacques, I've hiked across Belgium - from Holland to Luxembourg and the trail markings were excellent. However, personally I would not do a long distance walk without a map(s) with my preference being digital.

I really enjoyed hiking thru Belgium and this sounds like a grand adventure.

Bon courage.

Indeed the GR markings here in this country are very good!
Sometimes the Camino roads are the same as the GR but ever so often not.
The local confraternities do their best with markings ( stickers ) but I know from experience on day trips that you need a map because the markings in Belgium are very limited compared with Spain.

Last edited:
I would recommend some maps especially as you could plot a route on them. What a great idea simply to leave your house and start walking. I have thought of doing the same from my house in the UK but my main stumbling block would be France because I do not speak French. I wish you all the very best and, of course, Buen camino!

I would recommend some maps especially as you could plot a route on them. What a great idea simply to leave your house and start walking. I have thought of doing the same from my house in the UK but my main stumbling block would be France because I do not speak French. I wish you all the very best and, of course, Buen camino!
Well, that's the way it was before we had trains and aeroplanes. Most visitors to France seem to manage without speaking French. Why not give it a go?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure many of you like me have followed the writing of Anton Pombo, who is currently lecturing in the United States. See this interview...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back