• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road to Guillena blocked?

eamann

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Le Puy - Cahors + Saint-Jean - León
Hello!

When I walked the Via in the spring of 2006, the road leading from Santiponce to Guillena was cut at a certain point by a stream, the Arroyo de los Molinos. I waded through the 30m of stagnant water, which was not a pleasant experience! I have read on the Godesalco site (see below) that it is possible to find a way around this, but this too is not without its problems.

As I am preparing to walk the Via again this spring, I was wondering if more recent pilgrims have continued to encounter this problem.

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Eamann

"Salvo en el verano, el largo camino que lleva desde Santiponce a Guillena puede estar cortado por el Arroyo de los Molinos. Hay peregrinos que optan por descalzarse y cruzarlo de frente (el suelo es de cemento), pero hay quien ha encontrado un paso fácil tras buscar entre los arbustos que quedan en el lado izquierdo (y también hay quien se ha hundido en el fango en esta misma zona). El rodeo, saliendo hacia la N-630 (tomar dirección Mérida y girar a la derecha al llegar a la gasolinera), te cuesta unos 5 km de más. (Abril de 2006)"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
according to the CSJ guide you should keep "on LH side of river to avoid crossing ford in wet season". Afraid it's one of the perils of walking in spring that you get the spring melt, and river beds that are bone dry most of the year are knee-deep in water. Like all weather events, it's hard (well, probably impossible) to predict exactly when it's going to occur or how deep the water will be.

I had the same problem in May 2004, so it is clearly a continuous problem. There is a little wood on the left hand side of this stream, and we ploughed through it, and eventually crossed the stream, but it was muddy and hazardous and I would not try it again. If you do not fancy wading through it (which would be preferable to our option) then follow the road as suggested on the Spanish site.

Arrived there in Ocotber 2005 and found the stream in full flood. Too dangerous. Walked about 1500 metres to our left and found a bridge on the main road.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This was my experience on this section in February 2004, I looked either side to see if I could cross then went back to the track deciding whether to walk through the water when a 4wd car appeared and gave me a lift through the water.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back