Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road walking on Primitivo?

Za38

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2020 Primitivo
Hello! I am planning to do my first Camino next April 2020, but only have time for the last 100km. I want to avoid highways - which route has the LEAST road-walking, Primitivo or Northern? And how much is there....?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The last 2 to 3 stages of both the Primitivo and the Norte are the same as they both join up with the Frances, the Norte in Arzua and the Primitivo in Melide, to then continue to Santiago.

I've done both and I would venture to guess that they have about equal amount of road walking during the last 100 km although the Primitivo from Oviedo has way less than the Norte from Irun.

And in addition, now that the Xunta has gotten its fangs into the Primitivo, from the moment you enter Galicia, you will be walking on crushed rock, frequently on wide leveled paths. This is harder on your feet than more natural and uneven surfaces. The only stretch I can remember that has not been redone is the dirt logging road after Cadavo and into Castroverde.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
And in addition, now that the Xunta has gotten its fangs into the Primitivo, from the moment you enter Galicia, you will be walking on crushed rock, frequently on wide leveled paths. This is harder on your feet than more natural and uneven surfaces. The only stretch I can remember that has not been redone is the dirt logging road after Cadavo and into Castroverde.
Increasingly glad that we walked when we did. No plans to walk again so we can keep our memories of the Primitivo as it was in 2012.

Increasingly glad that we walked when we did. No plans to walk again so we can keep our memories of the Primitivo as it was in 2012.

Thank you. Could you tell me which Way has less highway-walking, is less touristy, less crowded? We have only 7 nights, beginning the day after Easter Sunday...Much appreciated! Z

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you. Could you tell me which Way has less highway-walking, is less touristy, less crowded? We have only 7 nights, beginning the day after Easter Sunday...Much appreciated! Z
I am sorry but as we have not walked into Santiago since 2015 my information would be out of date.
Both the Primitivo and the Ingles have changed very much now.
Are you wanting to reach Santiago this time and ask for a Compostela? I know you first post says the final 100kms is all you have time for but if the Compostela and arriving in Santago is not important this time then maybe an earlier section of the Primitivo might suit you - through Asturias, or else consider the Norte rather than the other Caminos.

Hello! I am planning to do my first Camino next April 2020, but only have time for the last 100km. I want to avoid highways - which route has the LEAST road-walking, Primitivo or Northern? And how much is there....?
If you only have seven days, want to avoid crowds and want to walk just after Easter you are asking much of the Camino. Avoid the late stages of the Norte, Primitivo or Frances.

www.gronze.com will provide you with info on routes, terrain and accommodation. Its in Spanish but simple and repetitive. Google Chrome will provide an instant translation if required. You may wish to consider the Camino Ingles from Ferrol or the Portuguese from Tui. 7 days will give you travel time, walking time and time to visit Santiago and claim a Compostella if you wish one.

As to avoiding road walking? The caminos are not wilderness walks. Much of any of the trails are on metalled surfaces of one kind or another. There may be little high-way walking but you will be walking on minor-roads and farm-tracks and indeed crushed rock senda in much of Galicia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back