• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Road walking

Shaun Gudgeon

SJGUDGEON
Time of past OR future Camino
I have a question some people have talked about walking on main roads and highways. Is there a different route that does not follow the highways and road?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Shaun Gudgeon I cannot think of anywhere on the Camino Frances that is actually on the road. I may be wrong (if so, I'm sure others will correct me). Other routes (for example the Norte) do have quite a bit of road walking, but not the Camino Frances.

Generally the caminos follow old medieval pilgrim routes, and the medieval pilgrims took the easiest walking paths to get to their destination. What is the easiest walking path is also often the best route for a road. In many places the old footpath actually became a road. Today the local authorities and others are conscious of the need to keep pedestrians and vehicles separate and tend to re-route the camino onto footpaths whenever possible.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I think one of the longest road walks on the Frances is into Castrojerez. Other than that you are usually just crossing them.
But there are some long stretches of concrete through cities - and out of Logrono was a long concrete path. (on the positive side - you then come into a forested area with squirrels).
And some of the Roman roads are endless (probably more so because of the heat and the lack of shade)
You can tell how much I like walking on hard surfaces by how well I remember them!

I have a question some people have talked about walking on main roads and highways. Is there a different route that does not follow the highways and road?
You are walking on a variety of ways right across a modern country not a long distance wilderness path. There is some road walking mostly on quiet country roads and some days where too much time is spent walking on paths near the road. Apart from a few sections where there are alternatives routes you are mostly going to be walking the marked route with everyone else.
You may want to do some more research to see if this camino is the best choice for you or if you would prefer another path.

It that I read a story where they walk on the highway with traffic flying pass. but others didn't mention it. It the France way that I want to walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It that I read a story where they walk on the highway with traffic flying pass. but others didn't mention it. It the France way that I want to walk.
I understand that in the earlier years of the Camino revival there was more walking on the highway, but in response to the large number of walkers the Spanish authorities have built separate paths for safety in many areas. Maybe it was an older story. There is still some. I am sure you will have a great walk. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Lots of road walking on camino francis sjpdp to roncesvalles 80% road road into burgos about 18km leon but Not Highways and illegal to walk on motorways ad some pilgrims discovered walk enjoy

Not to forget the first few Ks after Triacastella on the way to Samos. It was a nasty narrow shoulder, that one, with traffic (at least the day I went). But once was enough.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The road portions are quite manageable. Just use the obvious cautions. But that said, they are a very minor portion of the route. Most of the "roads" that are mentioned are really side roads that have very little traffic on them. There are a few spots mentioned above that do have real road walking but it's not something to keep you up late worrying about.

Is it required by law for a reflective vest or other identifier for early morning walking on smaller roads? Believe I was told that 2 years ago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Shaun Gudgeon I cannot think of anywhere on the Camino Frances that is actually on the road. I may be wrong (if so, I'm sure others will correct me). Other routes (for example the Norte) do have quite a bit of road walking, but not the Camino Frances.

Generally the caminos follow old medieval pilgrim routes, and the medieval pilgrims took the easiest walking paths to get to their destination. What is the easiest walking path is also often the best route for a road. In many places the old footpath actually became a road. Today the local authorities and others are conscious of the need to keep pedestrians and vehicles separate and tend to re-route the camino onto footpaths whenever possible.
There are definitely places on the Camino Frances that are actually on the road (or, at least, the shoulder). The first one that comes to mind is a stretch walking along the N-120 before Navarette (because I have a photo of my son I am fond of from that spot) but there are others as well. That said, the sectons of road walking are getting fewer.

(Here's that photo I was mentioning: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1JL6oTrzU6VrMedw9 - You can see the yellow arrow on the shoulder in front of him indicating that we were, indeed, walking where the Camino wanted us to. In the distance, you can see a blue sign by the side of the road showing where the Camino left it onto a non-road path.)

Lots of road walking on camino francis sjpdp to roncesvalles 80% road road into burgos about 18km leon but Not Highways and illegal to walk on motorways ad some pilgrims discovered walk enjoy
How could I have forgotten the road out of SJPDP to Roncesvalles!

the VdlP have some longer stretches with closeness to or directly on a main road, but not really on the CF.
Authorities in Spain are stressing, however, to bring a reflective vest, I have a runners vest for this use...
why not, it might save your life in bad light or in rain...

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are sections of the CF where We choose the roads. For example, we travel on the roads in off times and when we do not to desire go into the woods, or, when the conditions are very poor on the trails. For example, we walk on the roads when the trails are very muddy, or the snow is high. We take the road from Acebo to Molinesca because the trail is often slippery from the rain. When traveling the roads we always travel single file, wear reflective outerwear and in the dark a headlight. We carry a spare set of batteries for it. Our gear has reflective material in the rear as well as the front.

Last edited:
Talking about walking on the road, here´s my thing,
Bear w/ me !

Please stay on the left side of the road, the ones on the right are British and are happily walking , chatting photographing, taking dance steps...not minding the traffic at all...
Right hand traffic necessities that you walk on the left hand side !!
And why fill up the entire road??

All well and good, but take heed of the everyday Spanish citizen who are not renowned for slow driving.
This means speeds exceeding 100 kms an hour, it is their normal thouroughfare...
This particular day my nerves were constantly on edge for kilometres as several cars had sped by and nobody had heeded my call for "Cars".
What you cannot see is that a green Renault, 30 secs later honks his horns, and speeds by ..nobody notices, dust lifting close by...
I recognized the driver as the landlord of the Cafe I had just had my morning coffee, his car full with a plethora of nice bread, in order to serve you and I.!

I am an educator for a living and every school child is in my daily life taught to mind the traffic. Why oh Y, can´t pilgrims as well ?

In this instance I just had to overtake to rid myself of the spectacle in front of me.
True that it is a personal responsibilty, I just wish some would take that responsility more serious !
every year pilgrims get hit by the traffic,
Why take the risk.....?road singletons.jpg

Last edited:
I
In addition to some of the sections mentioned (Castrojeriz etc), there are also some crossings involving fast moving traffic which you may be thinking of: Villafranca Montes de Oca comes to mind, and also the stretch before Santa Irene in Galicia. As others have noted, more often you’re walking alongside the road rather than actually on it.
That said, there are a couple of places where I prefer the road to the Camino: the descent from Manjarin to El Acebo is one. The road is a little longer, but you can see traffic miles in advance, and the descending grade is friendlier to my knees...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
some people have talked about walking on main roads and highways. Is there a different route that does not follow the highways and road?

@Shaun Gudgeon , kia ora (greetings and good health)

I talk about walking on roads. Generally I prefer them as the surface is more predictable and even. In general terms I follow the designated route in outline.

To my mind there is nothing magical about the deignated route. I am certain it has been changed over the years and centuries, especially as new roads are built over what was a good Camino path. And, for me, some sections of the designated route are quite dangerous to walk on, so a road is needed,.

Generally we encourage cyclists to not use the designated route but nearby roads.

For me the journey is the thing and not the exact route taken to complete.

You will decide what is best for yourself.

Kia kaha (you take care, be strong, get going)

In my experience over six Caminos, on four routes, road walking is unavoidable. Walk single file, FACING ONCOMING TRAFFIC (emphasized for my UK Commonwealth friends).

If with others, place the most visible and experienced person at the lead of the file. That person’s role is simply to be visible to oncoming traffic, and to alert those behind.

Also, if the lead person should get hit, the others have fair warning. Maintain a 7-10 meter separation (@ 30 - 40 feet).

Hope this helps.

If with others, place the most visible and experienced person at the lead of the file. That person’s role is simply to be visible to oncoming traffic, and to alert those behind.

Also, if the lead person should get hit, the others have fair warning.
Alternatively vote on your least favourite person to be the sacrificial lamb to lead in front :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I heard somewhere that to qualify as a GR a trail must be at least 80% off road. In France pilgrims follow the GR65 from Le Puy to SJPDP, with less road walking than subsequently in Spain

@StephenChad yes, we found the GRs sometimes took beautiful scenic routes up, over, and around steep hills and was twice as long as the deserted minor direct road that travelled along the valley floor below....

I heard somewhere that to qualify as a GR a trail must be at least 80% off road. In France pilgrims follow the GR65 from Le Puy to SJPDP, with less road walking than subsequently in Spain

Note: as you leave SJPdP, note that the white and red horizontal signs that resemble Polish flags are actually GR 65 tags. Much of the Camino Frances is also part of GR65.

Hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

It seems to me that you have read Hape Kerkeling's book. He describes a section, where the camino ran along the old N 6 (after Villafranca de Bierzo). But since they have built the new motorway there are almost no vehicles using the old road. And they seperated the pedestrians are from the street. Nowadays it is a pleasant riverside walk, though on asphalt.

BC
Alexandra

- with a singing tone of the traffic high up above ..!

Never mind walking along or on the roads.......worry about cars on the trail.
;):):p:D:eek:
Seen here on December 3, 2016, while hiking up to O Cebreiro.......I could not believe it, but yes, some young guy tried to impress his grandfather with a shortcut downhill.........Screenshot (68).pngScreenshot (68).png

€46,-
Hi all,

Yes, there is some walking on roads, close to traffic, on the Camino Frances:

- main roads: the only one I remember is the N111 into Viana (except if modified since I was there). Some 2 kilometers.

P1.JPG

- secondary roads: several ones, for instance into Castrojeriz, as already mentioned :

P2.JPG
Notice the "Transite por su izquierda" signpost : walk on your left.

or to Molinaseca :

P3.JPG

You will be close to cars also in villages and small cities without sidewalks. Cars will be slower, but driving in both directions, and you will be less concentrated on traffic, while looking for your albergue or tiendas. So beware...

P4.JPG

Elsewhere, you will have a separate pedestrian path, separated by some distance, a ditch, trees...:

P5.JPG

You will never walk on highways banks (would mean 15 mn life expectancy :()

And, as you know, hard surfaces are not limited to paved roads and streets: cities sidewalks, concrete country paths etc.

Last edited:

Sometimes a
Little road walking is preferable to trails. There is a tough decline to the west of Cruz de Ferro that essentially follows a stream bed. It is demanding but direct. An easier, but longer go is to walk in the msrgin of a lightly used roadway; the one used by cyclists

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would be more concerned about kamikaze cyclists that will often come right up behind you with no regard.

Plenty of road walking. Worst is on the way into Leon. Best to take the alternative route which most guide books mention

There are definitely places on the Camino Frances that are actually on the road (or, at least, the shoulder). The first one that comes to mind is a stretch walking along the N-120 before Navarette (because I have a photo of my son I am fond of from that spot) but there are others as well. That said, the sectons of road walking are getting fewer.

(Here's that photo I was mentioning: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1JL6oTrzU6VrMedw9 - You can see the yellow arrow on the shoulder in front of him indicating that we were, indeed, walking where the Camino wanted us to. In the distance, you can see a blue sign by the side of the road showing where the Camino left it onto a non-road path.)
Lovely photo. What a great experience to have with your child. I would love to walk with my daughter. But she is too busy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back