• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roadblocks

Laliibeans

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
I'd heard myths about people facing roadblocks when they begin planning their Camino, things that made them question whether it was even viable to go/facing big problems as a part of the Camino journey, etc. I hadn't put much stock in it until recently as my own roadblocks have begun to arise.

This Camino is my mum's dream, originally my sister and I were going to support her and, personally, because I live to travel. But it's become more for all of us: it will inadvertently mark a decade since the beginning of a very hard time for us. This would have been the first time I would have been able to travel comfortably; not trying to cram in as much on as little money as I could.

However, my challenges have now started. We've had a death in the family, sickness, harassment at work, I'll need surgery before I go, and an number of other health issues have arisen.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, life is always full of challenges, but for once I wanted to do something without them. I'm hoping at least that when I come through the other side and finish my Camino, it'll have an even greater sense of accomplishment to it.

Is this how others have felt after overcoming your obstacles? Did you overcome them? My spirits need a boost.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To paraphrase Bill Bryson about the Appalachian Trail, walking the Camino is completely optional. If it stresses you, find something that does not. Make life fun, not difficult!

Your challenges are just that, something to get past so you can move forward.

I understand where you are coming from exactly. I, too, wanted to do something "just for me, because I wanted to do it." Someone told me they wanted to meet me at the end of My Walk, to be there when I finished. I was very disappointed! I understood where she was coming from, wanting to be there to share in the excitement of my accomplishment, but it seemed to me that it would ruin the experience of finishing and celebrating with my Camino Family.

Some suggestions: 1) Maybe you can plan to walk separately each day or part of each day and meet up at the end of the day for dinner and sleeping. This is what my Camino Friend and I plan to do. 2) You and your sister could take turns walking alone one day then with your mom the next. 3) Be honest and tell your family you want to go alone. Purchase your airfare so you start a few days after or before they do. This way you can all celebrate together in Santiago.

If your spirits need a boost, read some of the wonderful books many people have written about their pilgrimage. I have found it really gives you a boost, plus you begin to think, "If they can do it, I can do it!"

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's not the Camino I'm worried about, it's all this (excuse me) crap in the lead up. The Camino is the one thing keeping me going, sticking with a job that is loathsome so I can afford to go, etc. I'm just concerned by these health issues, and all the bad luck that seems to be coming our way (the whole family, not just me) in the lead up.

I just meant that I'd heard others say similar things about planning to go and then finding they have to start facing some tough times early on. I have the thought of the Camino, and of spending some good times with my family, creating good memories for us to make up for the bad stuff we've been through, and so to get me through, but now I won't be able to finally travel comfortably and to be fully confident in my health.

I feel like I'm withdrawing from the world a bit again and i'm really hoping that at least having this goal will help me get through it and still make it a wonderful experience.

Laliibeans said:
i'm really hoping that at least having this goal will help me get through it and still make it a wonderful experience.
I hope I haven't taken this quote out of context.
But: Having the goal will help you get through your troubles, and it will still be a wonderful experience.
As you said, many on here have all kinds of problems coming between them and their camino - myself included, but I won't go into that. When I get depressed and think my plans will never come to fruition, I try to think about a chap who lives near me - in a wheelchair (not even a modern motorised one, but a crappy old self propelled machine). No way can he even walk across the road, let alone 800kms.
It does help.

Thanks, Sojourner. It's been a real struggle these past few weeks especially so I've printed off some photos from along the walk and stuck them up around the place. A nice reminder that there is something to look forward to.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back