• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rocamadour too many tourists?

markmcilroy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016
CF 2017
Le Puy 2018
CF 2022
VDLP 9/ 2023
We are thinking about walking the Rocamadour variant this May but 2 different websites say the tourist numbers in Rocamadour are massive i.e over 1 million people a year which is around 4,000 people a day assuming tourists only visit for 8-9 months of the year. So in a small village with fixed population of 600 to have 4000 people visit each day seems a lot of people. Do those numbers seem right are there that many tourists each day?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are thinking about walking the Rocamadour variant this May but 2 different websites say the tourist numbers in Rocamadour are massive i.e over 1 million people a year which is around 4,000 people a day assuming tourists only visit for 8-9 months of the year. So in a small village with fixed population of 600 to have 4000 people visit each day seems a lot of people. Do those numbers seem right are there that many tourists each day?

I'd say "day" is the operative word there. Spend the night and you'll have it practically to yourself. It's a spectacular place and I wouldn't miss it.

There weren't near that number when Jill and I were there. . . but we spent time there this October 25 to 27.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bonjour @markmcilroy
Rocamadour is a marvel. The masses dissappear by a certain hour. Early mornings are serene. The candle-lit processions are something to behold. As a pèlerine de la musique I was thankful for the crowds.

I set off in high summer, July 2016 from an obscure village in Le-Lot-et-Garonne hiking via Rocamadour and Cluny to Taizé in La-Saône. I connected with le Chemin de Saint Jacques, the GR 652, before Penne d'Agenais.

I encountered few randonneurs or pilgrims on my way to and from Rocamadour. The trail was superb.

Assoc. des Amis de St Jacques: Lot et Garonne
ACIR : Rocamadour

Bon chemin!
Lovingkindness

Carte-Alternative-Rocamadour_12_06_15-02.jpg

Last edited:
I walked the Rocamadour variant as part of a longer Camino in 2014, in September, so pretty much high season. Also at the same time was the hot air balloon festival going on (spectacular!). Said all this, Rocamadour never felt crowded to me that day. So, don't miss it!
BC SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have been there on October 2017, and yes, it is a touristic city, but there were no crowds. Very nice and good stay.

I was there in mid June of 2018 and although there were tourists, it didn't seem too crowded. It was a very enjoyable experience...Go, enjoy, you will not regret it.

My husband I were there some years ago on pilgrimage and it was a marvelous place! I do not recall any crowds at that time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
F7D1B4A4-41E8-49E3-9445-142F372AF3EA.jpeg
This is the main tourist street mid-afternoon late July last summer. There were tourists but not unbearable. If you leave the main drag (and climb) there are far fewer people. It’s a gorgeous place, and so are the nearby caves where you can take an underground boat. 7E39E446-0FED-4D17-9FCE-42CD71253CC5.jpeg

I took the Rocamadour detour from my lePuy walk and it was worth it. I had to stay at someone's house a good 30 min walk to the town because the hotels in town book months if not years in advance. I found them on Booking.com. Once you see the town you will know why. You can walk there but I didn't. I took a round trip bus from figeac if I remember correctly. But I remember thinking the bus ride was so gorgeous I wish I had walked! Bon Chamin!

When I was there in mid-October 2014, the tourists came by day on buses and were gone at night. I stayed in the clifftop Centre d'accueil et d'hébergement Notre-Dame and, as far as I could tell, had the place entirely to myself. I had dinner on the main street, and afterwards the town was so quiet that it was almost spooky to climb the switchback trail back up the cliff. Rather than walking the variant route, I went by train from Figeac, taking a one-night side trip before continuing on the regular LePuy route. The train station is about 5 km from Rocamadour, and the short walk in and out was beautiful. I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Greetings! I did the Le Puy with the Rocamadour variant this past spring. I left the GR65 at Figeac, and rejoined it between Vers and Cahors. The route that someone posted above was a bit daunting with not enough services for me. I went Figeac/Lacapelle-Marival/Gramat/Rocamadour/Labastide-Murat/Vers/Cahors. Stayed at le Cantou in Rocamadour. The Chemin between Figeac and Rocamadour was by far my favourite of the entire route - beautiful trails through forests and flowering trees. But empty of people and not a lot of services.

Arriving and leaving Rocamadour on foot was a spectacular experience. And yeah, it's full of tourists. But the vast majority are day trippers who arrive mid-morning and leave before dinnertime. So plan to stay the night and enjoy the town with empty streets. The morning light there is truly amazing.

Be aware that you will be walking thru a region that is actively being de-developed to restore the natrual habitat of the park. Some of the towns are nearly ghost-towns. Carry food.

It was easy to take the train from Figeac and was not a long ride, so my friend and I enjoyed a long day in Rocamadour. Although it is a very interesting and beautiful village built mostly on the side of a "cliff", a day exploring was enough. We were tourists, too, so the people didn't bother me.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back