• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rocking quietly in the corner.... (UPDATE post 51)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You were thinking "Hey, that sounds amazing!" - and you were right! Don't worry, @Gumba - I think almost everyone goes through that last-minute "Aaarrrggghhh what am I doing??!!" phase. All you have to do is get yourself to your starting point, take a deep breath (not too deep - hyperventilating isn't a good way to start) and put one foot in front of the other. Then again. Keep going till you get there (wherever there is, for you), not forgetting to stop for food, liquids and sleep when appropriate! Welcome to Camino-land, Gumba - and a very Buen Camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Your thread title, @Gumba ... Hee heee heeeeee.
We know.
If you're not wondering that at this point, you're either a machine or completely deluded.
But fortunately once you're there in realtime, the thought of "THE WHOLE CAMINO, LIKE 800KMS!!!!!" dissolves and you just go one day at a time one moment at a time. So it all settles down pretty quickly as soon as your shoes meet earth and it's one moment of everyday reality after another after another. And then the experience of the Camino is the whole spectrum, from "What the %&#*) was I thinking!?" to " I never want to leave, ever."
We who have walked, and 'caught the bug' can talk all we want - but you'll see for yourself...
And Buen Camino, peregrino!

Take a deep breath, and another one. There is no hell on the Camino, just peace and more peace, love and more love, friendship and more friendship, pilgrims and more pilgrims. Enjoy, you have answered the call, you are about to feel life. Ian & Helen

Last edited:
It was on the bus from Pamplona to SJPDP that nearly did for me last time I walked from there. Going up, up, up in the bus, and then down, down, down - I was really panicking thinking - why are you doing this again?
But as soon as I started walking all was fine.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
After my first Camino (Francés), I started to think that walking the Camino should be made compulsory. But then I thought, it's crowded enough already. You haven't said where you are starting from, but, if it's SJPdP, it's a shame that the first day is the hardest day, unless you stop at Orisson overnight. But I did it aged 55 with no training at all.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you lovely people. Yes, I will be back, telling you all what a wonderful time I am having, I am sure.

Bert - sjpdp by way of Valcarlos
You'll love it I'm sure.

Life is to be lived and this will be one of the most amazing adventures of your life.

Buen Camino

Beautifully said, Lance; beautifully said.

It's 1:11am so I officially leave tomorrow...

It's 1:11am so I officially leave tomorrow...

Lol, not sleeping well either I see.
Hi Gumba and welcome
It’s daunting for me each time, until I’m on my way.
Unless you suffer from insomnia, you should be asleep much earlier, and ‘feel’ really ‘alive’ like you haven’t felt in a long time.
Buen Camino
Annie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was going to start a thread of much the same sentiments. I leave a week tomorrow. What if I:

- get lost
- get robbed
- get blisters
- get injured
- can’t find a bed
- get lonely
- get bored
- hate it
- lose my documents/phone/sanity

But, hey..... I’ve got a plane ticket and some reservations and all this gear, so I may as well go, eh?

I was going to start a thread of much the same sentiments. I leave a week tomorrow. What if I:

- get lost
- get robbed
- get blisters
- get injured
- can’t find a bed
- get lonely
- get bored
- hate it

But, hey..... I’ve got a plane ticket and some reservations and all this gear, so I may as well go, eh?

Even if all of your IFs came true, I can't help but think you would still come out ahead. After all none of those things have any permanence.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yup.
[Hee hee. Inner 'edges' are sooooooo much fun.:eek:;) (I'm being ironic, of course. The fantastic thing is that the Camino does a great job of revealing and then demolishing them.):cool:]

Flying out in 2 days. What the hell have I signed up for?????? What was I thinking?
I had my "what was I thinking?" moment on my second night while staying in Roncesvalles. But it passes quickly you realize how incredible the adventure ahead of you is.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We've all had the "Why did I want to do this?" moment a day or so before we set off. Most of us, when trudging through the rain also had "What is the point of this?" moment or two, but in the two years since I did my first camino I have thought about the joy I had, the people I met, the places I walked through and the fact that I want to do another sometime soon on an almost daily basis. I've still got all the kit and I now know the ropes so it would be an easy run, not that I found it too difficult last time. I was 61 when I set off and didn't do that much preparation in advance. Just some long walks in South Yorkshire and the Derbyshire Peak District. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Flying out in 2 days. What the hell have I signed up for?????? What was I thinking?
You’ve signed up for the adventure of a lifetime! Buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

- get lost
- get robbed
- get blisters
- get injured
- can’t find a bed
- get lonely
- get bored
- hate it

Spoken like a true Canadian eh?

I’m jealous too! It’s been 14 years since my Camino and I think of it most every day. Definitely a pivotal point in my life and still on my bucket list to do again
Start planning your next Camino today nackyann ;-) :)

Thanks for posting this honest question and for the amazing replies that follow........ I fly out on the 27th to begin, have been training for over 12 months....and feel a bit sick at the thought of it all. A bit scared......BUT that seems normal and everyone, it would seem experiences it.....so I'll see you on the Camino! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just think of all those poor people who will never take the chance on this amazing experience. At the end when you reach the cathedral you'll be so glad you rose to the challenge and this will enhance everything else you do for the rest of your life.
Remember to walk one day at a time and if a glitch happens (as it always does in real life) take a deep breath and relax, it will work out.
We start walking again on the 14th April and nerves is part and parcel of the preparation. Buen Camino and enjoy!

- get lost
- get robbed
- get blisters
- get injured
- can’t find a bed
- get lonely
- get bored
- hate it

"What if," is the fuel of procrastination. Now, look over the list as it is written;

- get lost (Find your way back through talking with people, making new friends)
- get robbed (Do not be seen as a target. Even this can be an adventure. But not one that is ever welcome.)
- get blisters (I would never wish them on anyone, except robbers, maybe. Listen to your feet, heed their warnings and there should never be blisters, and there is another adventure.)
- get injured (Been there, done that and coming back in about 7 weeks. Yup, another adventure, we survive.)
- can't find a bed (Become creative. What is the immediate need? Ask a question. Sleep in a church? Find a farmer with a barn? Another adventure and chance to find new friends.)
- get lonely? How can anyone get lonely on the Camino? Relish the quiet times in God's World. Out there, no one is ever really alone. In my toughest times, I would walk and pray, "God, I place myself in the palm of your hand. I know that you love me and will care for me as I need. My pilgrimage is to honour you and my parents."
- get bored. (It is possible but with so many new people coming in and out of existence as you go, not likely.)
- hate it (Also possible. Something has drawn you to the Camino. I think you will enjoy yourself immensely. Remember, it is not a race. It is the Camino, taken one step at a time, and whatever comes with it.)
- lose my documents/phone/sanity ( Keep a copy of docs in a ziplock bag in your pack. If the phone gets lost, maybe there is a reason. Burner / prepaid phones are available everywhere. Everything is replaceable, even sanity.)

All topics are where the Camino can provide, as long as it is allowed to do so, when needed. It is pretty efficient in its actions.

Hope this helps. I wish I was leaving in a few days.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How many people must have thought that, myself included! I just wanted to get on a return flight and go back home. Fear not, you may be going by yourself but you’ll never be alone. I met so many wonderful people from the start and it was the most fantastic experience of my life. Buen Camino have a fantastic time ‍♀️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

- get lost
- get robbed
- get blisters
- get injured
- can’t find a bed
- get lonely
- get bored
- hate it

- If you get lost, enjoy the journey.
- If you get robbed (God forbid), they probably need it more then you do.
- If you get blisters tend to them by using your blister kit you brought just in case.
- If you get injured, rest.
- If you can't find a bed, keep walking until you do or splurge for a hotel with the extra money you budgeted for such an emergency.
- If you get lonely, open up and talk to other pilgrims.
- If you get bored, open up and talk to other pilgrims.
- If you hate it, then it was never in your heart to begin with.
- If you lose your documents/phone/sanity then you're not paying attention.

Trust in the arrows and keep walking, Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just an update - currently in Zubiri. Yesterday was hard, a lot of snow fall and rain - really tough walk but amazing sense of achievement when we finished. Heavy snow again today - beautiful! Heavy cold rain, not so good. Our 9 year old walked through what he thought was a little puddle and all of a sudden he was up to his knees in icy cold water. Walked to the nearest town to get a taxi the last 8km (we had a booking in Zubiri). No way could we let him walk after that. To be honest I was secretly glad to call it a day! Having said all that, I am no longer rocking and enjoying the expeience 2 days in :)

Gumba, I know right were you are and yes the first few days are tough. Even tougher in winter weather, something I would not do but more power to you and your family. I live in the USA NorthWest and have plenty of winter here.

So happy to hear you are no longer rocking and you'll keep on walking.
WooHoo!! Buen Camino!!:cool:

I just checked the weather - it’s currently snowing in St Jean, but the forecast for Thursday, when I start, is cold but sunny and dry. Friday, however, Valcarlos is showing 80% probability of rain. I think I will dress in wet weather gear.

I just got an “all the best” phone call from family, during which I said I was terrified. Afterwards, my husband said that if I was terrified, I didn’t have to go..... I could wait and fly out with him and our friends and just walk from O Cebreiro.

But where’s the fun in that? Not going to let a bit of apprehension disrupt my plans.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I'm so jealous. i did my first Camino in 2014 and i was asking myself this question in SPDP.

i will do the Camino Portuguese in May and i cant wait.

it has been to long.

the Camino leaves you with a longing that cant be described.

Good Luck to you

I'm so glad I saw this post! We leave in less than two months and I'm already scared... but going! RevBarbaraG you forgot to list... what if I didn't save enough money and can't eat the last few days

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
RevBarbaraG you forgot to list... what if I didn't save enough money and can't eat the last few days

Very unlikely, but that’s what the credit card is for. I am blessed to receive a grant towards the cost of my sabbatical, and was also given a gift by one church member ‘for the unexpected expenses you will incur’

Isn’t there a posh hotel in Santiago which feeds pilgrims for free?

"Isn’t there a posh hotel in Santiago which feeds pilgrims for free?" - yes, it's the parador next to the cathedral. But they only feed 10 pilgrims for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In my experience, lunch is much better than dinner. Some days there could be a queue out the door, if the first 10 people didn't tell the latecomers that they were too late; other days there might not even be 10 people there. I can't remember the times that you need to be there, but there is a notice on the door (or the wall) that explains everything. You need to have your credencial (or your compostela) with you, and you are only supposed to get three free meals.

Very unlikely, but that’s what the credit card is for. I am blessed to receive a grant towards the cost of my sabbatical, and was also given a gift by one church member ‘for the unexpected expenses you will incur’

Isn’t there a posh hotel in Santiago which feeds pilgrims for free?
Oh the one I suggested was for me .. lol. Just one more worry to push to the back of my brain. I am actually so excited!

This thread popped up when I logged on today. We fly out to Barcelona tomorrow. Excited and yes, a little scared. Helpful to see that those of you who had these same feelings are making it. I'm looking forward to being done with planning and making decisions. Thanks so much for the support from everyone.

This thread popped up when I logged on today. We fly out to Barcelona tomorrow. Excited and yes, a little scared. Helpful to see that those of you who had these same feelings are making it. I'm looking forward to being done with planning and making decisions. Thanks so much for the support from everyone.
You both will have a wonderfull time walking .
Meeting lots of Pilgrims and making friends for live .

Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

UPDATE:

Wow, it was around 20 months ago that I posted this - Guess what, its about 5 days until we fly out again for our second Camino!

- Despite a possible train/air strike in Paris which I will find out only 24-48 hours before hand (or not at all because we will be in the air) (meh, so we spend an extra day or two in Paris!!)

- Despite lack of training - didn't mean for this (meh, so it will take a little longer)

- despite concerns re weather and fining accommodation, um... and food! (meh, we'll be right!!!)

- despite having a significant shoulder injury which, despite 6 months of physio is not fixed (meh, we carry the weight on our hips)

- despite the fact that we are not used to snow ( meh, at least we escape the heat over the Australian summer - it will be 40c/104f degrees in our town tomorrow!!!)

I am happy to say that I am not rocking in the corner, I am embracing all that the camino brings. As my 9 year old (now 11) said after his first camino.... "Mum, every step is its own journey" . My 13 year old - who towers over me now said recently "mum, I know how much you looked out for me on our first camino, this time I will look out for you" . And of course my husband who has offered to help carry my load...

Watch this space!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen camino Gumba! Take care of that shoulder, even if it means having one of your kids help getting the pack on your back. It'll give them a tangible way to look out for you.
May you have a wonderful journey together!

I posted the following (#47) a over a year ago: "Isn’t there a posh hotel in Santiago which feeds pilgrims for free?" - yes, it's the parador next to the cathedral. But they only feed 10 pilgrims for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In my experience, lunch is much better than dinner. Some days there could be a queue out the door, if the first 10 people didn't tell the latecomers that they were too late; other days there might not even be 10 people there. I can't remember the times that you need to be there, but there is a notice on the door (or the wall) that explains everything. You need to have your credencial (or your compostela) with you, and you are only supposed to get three free meals.

But times have changed, and now there is just one meal each day -- lunch -- and vouchers for the meal are given to the first ten people at the Pilgrim Office in the morning. We (my wife and I) turned up at about 7:30 (the office opens at 8:00) and there were 76 people in front of us.

Buen camino Gumba and safe travels! I look forward to hearing about your adventures but don't let the telling of the story get in the way of the journey.

Mike

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back