• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rocky stretches

Linda V

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese 2017+2022, Frances 2021, Ingles 2022
Hi, I am planning to walk the Camino del Norte in September. On YouTube I see that there are some stretches with rock climbing on the edge of the coast. Do you know which stretches are very rocky and can you go around them? Thanks, Linda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I too don't recall anything close to rock climbing on the Norte. Early on, shortly after Zumaia in the Basque Country, there are some non-Camino alternatives that some people take that are right along the coast. Maybe this is what the YouTubers did? If you stay on the Camino, there's nothing super rocky :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lot of short cuts on the Norte! Many times at an Albergue, someone would show us pictures of a path along a hillside near the ocean that the rest of us had not walked. Sometimes I wondered if they had been lost and were not even on the Camino. Recall one set of pictures showing ropes along the steep hillside path for hikers to hold while walking--never was on that path!

There are a few spots where the trail has some significant rocky outcropping. But nothing that one would consider to be rock climbing. And you will certainly not have to get close to "the edge" unless you choose to.

Hi, I am planning to walk the Camino del Norte in September. On YouTube I see that there are some stretches with rock climbing on the edge of the coast. Do you know which stretches are very rocky and can you go around them? Thanks, Linda
Hi Linda. I hope to walk the Norte in September. I was happy to hear the replies to your concerns!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just after Berria there is a steep climb up a cliff with rocks and loose stones. When you've reached the top of the cliff there's a steep descend which leads to the beach (and a bit further: Noja). It's just a short stretch, but one that has to be taken with care.

Other than this bit I don't remember any rocky climbs.

Gronze gives an alternative which is a bit longer, but skips this steep climb and descend.

1658843884463.png

A more detailed map with the original route in blue and the alternative in red:

1658843932760.png

I have seen that some of the middle section alternatives are on steeper ground in ocean view, but can't recall exactly where, I think it shows on the You tube video made from the man with the stick also..... I am also going in September, maybe our paths will ross! Buen Camino!

I'm back a week from the Norte and although I took quite a few alternative coastal routes, none of them involved anything near rock climbing.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, no real rock climbing, but yes, there are some short, steep downhill rocky sections. If is is raining or muddy you will appreciate one or two trekking poles. In 2017 I saw one Spanish peregrina slip going downhill and break her wrist. It was muddy and slick. Buen Camino

I did take an alternative route from Orinon through Sonabia around the ocean side of Punta Las Presas which might look like a little rock climbing and in one place there is a cable to hang onto as you approach the narrow gap in the attached photo.
I don't recommend it and wouldn't do it again ... alone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-234157_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-234157_Maps.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190612_112343.jpg
    20190612_112343.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190612_093719.jpg
    20190612_093719.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Looks like we might see you on the Norte?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As @André Walker says, there is a steep climb over the headland between Santoña and Noja. I found it treacherously narrow and difficult, made worse becasue I had on a very heavy pack (14kilos) with a tent and extra gear.

There was also a bit of a scramble uphill to take the "alpista" route between Irun and Pasajes San Juan, in fact quite a few steep ascents and descents on the Norte, but I definitely did no rock climbing. They were always on normal dirt or paved paths, or roads.

It may be that some of the coastal alternatives involve rock climbing, but not the main route.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back