Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rodeiro-Lalín in rain: advice needed

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Hello,

Tomorrow (Saturday) it will probably rain all day long if the forecast is correct...

I am going from Rodeiro to Lalín. Yes I have been here before, but not in rainy weather. Need I worry about mud? I wear running shoes, not made for mud. Should I consider walking on the carretera Rodeiro-Lalín?

BP

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If it's raining heavily, you will most certainly encounter mud. In particular the stretch between leaving the highway about 2 km after Rodeiro, intermittently through to Penda. It was very muddy through there even on a sunny dry day. There was an area where granite slabs had been laid down on the side of the path as stepping stones but still further on, there were areas of slippery mud that were tricky to pick my way through along the bank. Throughout this leg, there are several stretches on dirt / tractor path roads which were dry when I walked but I think would be pretty muddy in wet weather.

Beautiful walk on this leg (as you know) so hope the forecast changes for you BP !!!

I guess you still have time to decide which way to go until morning. But if you decide to take carretera after all if I remember correctly there are three bars along the way and few bus stops to get some shelter.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If it's raining heavily, you will most certainly encounter mud. In particular the stretch between leaving the highway about 2 km after Rodeiro, intermittently through to Penda. It was very muddy through there even on a sunny dry day. There was an area where granite slabs had been laid down on the side of the path as stepping stones but still further on, there were areas of slippery mud that were tricky to pick my way through along the bank. Throughout this leg, there are several stretches on dirt / tractor path roads which were dry when I walked but I think would be pretty muddy in wet weather.

Beautiful walk on this leg (as you know) so hope the forecast changes for you BP !!!

I would really like to walk through the woods /countryside to Lalín so it will be difficult to say no... On the other hand I am up for 37 kms tomorrow and I know that mud will break me down. I guess I will have to see how much it rains first. Maybe I'm stupid but I don't know how to interpret the quantity on the weather sites I read, just know it's going to rain...

I guess you still have time to decide which way to go until morning. But if you decide to take carretera after all if I remember correctly there are three bars along the way and few bus stops to get some shelter.

Buen Camino!

That's very tempting... I don't mind hard surfaces so there wouldn't really be any problem. It's just that I like this part of the Camino so it's difficult to give it up.

And the traffic?? A quiet road, or a near-death experience dodging the trucks? That's my only worry I think.

I think you know my bias here, :p but I will refrain from giving advice on the decision, just maybe a better forecast. I think the Spanish weather agency gives the best forecasts. Here is the one for Lalín tomorrow.

The entire highway walk is on a good shoulder from what I have heard, and on a Saturday you won’t have as much road traffic. I know @Annette london and Charlie recently walked that route. It’s 4 or 5 kms shorter, I think, which also may be a consideration.

Attachments

• 6AF946CE-16CF-4284-9F3C-9CF1526DC7D4.png
    6AF946CE-16CF-4284-9F3C-9CF1526DC7D4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think you know my bias here, :p but I will refrain from giving advice on the decision, just maybe a better forecast. I think the Spanish weather agency gives the best forecasts. Here is the one for Lalín tomorrow.

The entire highway walk is on a good shoulder from what I have heard, and on a Saturday you won’t have as much road traffic. I know @Annette london and Charlie recently walked that route. It’s 4 or 5 kms shorter, I think, which also may be a consideration.

Ugh,

It's so tempting. But I'm also in love with the soothing stretch on the Camino...! 😭

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ohhh this looks just like my day on Monte Faro! 💦 But it looks like maybe they've finished the new roof on the Ermita?

I don't think so. You can't see it on the photo, but there were construction gear and materials around the building. No one was working though. I was all alone up there! Yes, I love the rain up there, and the fog...!

Hello,

Tomorrow (Saturday) it will probably rain all day long if the forecast is correct...

I am going from Rodeiro to Lalín. Yes I have been here before, but not in rainy weather. Need I worry about mud? I wear running shoes, not made for mud. Should I consider walking on the carretera Rodeiro-Lalín?

BP
Hi BP
We walked on the road to Lalin.......sorry now that we did not take the dirt tracks!!
There's no walking on the main road though
There's a service road on each side of the highway......no traffic whatsoever
We played our iPods so couldn't hear the traffic
Re the bars....
We only found 2 ...stopped at both of them
Hope it doesn't rain too much for you
Best wishes
Annette

That's very tempting... I don't mind hard surfaces so there wouldn't really be any problem. It's just that I like this part of the Camino so it's difficult to give it up.

And the traffic?? A quiet road, or a near-death experience dodging the trucks? That's my only worry I think.
Somewhere in the middle of Rodeiro-Lalin stretch you also have some gravel AG tracks to the left of the carretera. The traffic wasn't really dense when I walked it. But walking by the side of carretera always means some noise and traffic as you well know.
I'm not encouraging you to take it. It was just an info in my last post if you would decide to take it ;)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In the meantime... A greeting from Monte Faro today, raining as well... :)
Oh I do know that some folk on the Invierno found the ascent and descent to/from Monte Faro to be a bit of a slog but we didn't find that going up at all and I just loved the stretch coming down the whole way. It was so scenic ...but then, there was no fog and we could see for miles ...and I just love the sound of those wind turbines!!!
strange...and odd here!!!!!

Re the bars....
We only found 2 ...stopped at both of them
That might be true because I only found two photos of bars ;)
First on the right and second one on the left side of the carretera.

Attachments

• 1076-Bar A Rocha (Rodeiro-A Laxe, 28.07.14).jpg
    1076-Bar A Rocha (Rodeiro-A Laxe, 28.07.14).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • 1082-Mel do Saldoiro (Rodeiro-A Laxe, 28.07.14).jpg
    1082-Mel do Saldoiro (Rodeiro-A Laxe, 28.07.14).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
@Theategal channeled what I would have said. The really wet spots near Rodeiro will be wetter, and I was impressed by them, even after a long string of sunny days. But more of a drag might be the dirt road sections; will they be sticky clay? Only you'll be able to learn the answer to that question.
How risk averse are you? ;)
Whatever you decide, buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ok,

I took the road... It wasn't raining that much when I left Rodeiro, but more so the closer I got to Lalín. At least I can compare the two options now. I wrote briefly in another thread that I had a heat stroke a few days ago, so I also thought it would be best to cut a few kms from today's stage. (I'm in Silleda now.)

KinkyOne was right in saying there are three bars along the way! It's just that the second one looked like it's been dead since the 1960's. I can't see it on Google maps either? So only two bars left to choose from then. I passed the first one too early. It's only a few kms after leaving Rodeiro. The third and last one is about 6 kms before Lalín. Very nice and warm just after the rain set in for real!

But next time, I hope I will be walking through the countryside 😭!!

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back