• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rodez to Le Puy. Impossible?

briandog

Does anybody have any knowledge as to a good means of travel between Rodez, into which I’ll be flying and Le Puy, where I’m hoping to start my walk. The train service between the two appears, from the SNCF website, to be either non-existent or extremely complex. If anybody has any experience or information in regards to this, I would greatly appreciate the advice.
Cheers,
Brian :?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
not exactly impossible by train, but not a simple journey either, as you'd have to change 3 or 4 times. As the old joke says, if you want to get there, you shouldn't start from here. From Rodez, forget about Le Puy and simply take the GR62 to Conques and carry on from there.

Does anybody have any knowledge as to a good means of travel between Rodez, into which I’ll be flying and Le Puy, where I’m hoping to start my walk. The train service between the two appears, from the SNCF website, to be either non-existent or extremely complex. If anybody has any experience or information in regards to this, I would greatly appreciate the advice.
Cheers,
Brian :?

Hi, My name is Vincent and currently planning my First Camino trip (starting in Le Puy) and hoping to be heading off 2nd week of July. I was wondering if there is any update regards this issue of trying to get to Le puy from Rodez in recent years as see this thread was started in 2006. I am travelling from Ireland and have looked at different flights to airports in France and trying to find cheapest/easiest route from airport to Le puy. Flights (at moment) for date looking are only 35euro so if was possible to get a reasonably priced train/bus would be great (us students always looking the cheapest price ;) )
Flights to other airports (Paris Beauvais, Carcassonne, Tours, Marseille) are quite similar also if anyone would have an idea of which may be the best option taking into account cost of getting to Le Puy.
Many thanks in advance :)
Cant wait to get going!!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, My name is Vincent and currently planning my First Camino trip (starting in Le Puy) and hoping to be heading off 2nd week of July. I was wondering if there is any update regards this issue of trying to get to Le puy from Rodez in recent years as see this thread was started in 2006. I am travelling from Ireland and have looked at different flights to airports in France and trying to find cheapest/easiest route from airport to Le puy. Flights (at moment) for date looking are only 35euro so if was possible to get a reasonably priced train/bus would be great (us students always looking the cheapest price ;) )
Flights to other airports (Paris Beauvais, Carcassonne, Tours, Marseille) are quite similar also if anyone would have an idea of which may be the best option taking into account cost of getting to Le Puy.
Many thanks in advance :)
Cant wait to get going!!!

SNCF offers service from Rodez to Le Puy en Velay. It involves three TER trains and transfers at Figeac Gare and Arvare. Nothing complicated ... it just takes 6:30 hours and appears to run once per day.

SNCF
http://www.sncf.com/

Many thanks whariwharangi for the update, the time travelling/connections doesn't really bother me so much, all part of the experience sure ;)

Many thanks whariwharangi for the update, the time travelling/connections doesn't really bother me so much, all part of the experience sure ;)
Hi Uinseann, Dia duit (from one Irishman to another),

I posted this question in 2006. Subsequently, I decided that my best option (because of the mentioned train situation) was to hire a car and drive from Rodez to Le Puy, which I did (Hertz has a location a few km – as I recall – from Rodez airport – in the direction of the town, and one in the centre of Le Puy).

I don’t know if this will be of any use to you but, in any case, this is a great walk, and a good choice for your first jaunt.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dia is Muire duit mo chara, go raibh mile maith agat. looked into the idea also of renting a car but was quite pricey!! ended up deciding to fly into paris beauvais (55euro baggage incl) and will travel to le puy via lyon (overnight bus/train 58-ish euro). it worked out fair bit cheaper than other options available that could find. it takes approx 11hrs including overnight bus which may deter some future walkers but works good for me actually.
Believe this the best choice as well for first camino and good to see choice backed by more seasoned pilgrims. Hoping to continue where ever i leave off over next journeys and complete journey to santiago de compostela in stages.

would be grateful of any other advice able to give for travelling this route (places not to miss etc)

Many thanks :D

Hi Uinseann, Dia duit arís... just back from another Camino myself... I hope that all worked out for you mate (sorry for being too late for further advice... though it's often best to find one's own way). Hoping you had a good walk this summer, D

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.