• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rogue taxi driver in Santiago.

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
I've just finished walking with two companions who had limited time. When we reached Leon we decided to take the train to Santiago and booked accommodation there.
We took a taxi from the station but the driver, despite having seen the address we wanted on a phone, left us miles from where we needed to be.
The consequence of this was the man who was to meet us when we arrived at our accommodation wasn't there and didn't answer any of our texts. We had to book an expensive hotel room.
Nothing like this has ever happened to us before and it made for a bad end to an otherwise good Camino.
The woman who booked the accommodation will be contacting booking.com about the property owners failure to appear.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry that the taxi driver made a mistake, and that this had such a bad impact on your camino. But I am confused - if you were taken to the wrong place, what did the property owner do wrong?
We sent him text messages saying we would be late arriving. He didn't wait for us and when we eventually arrived there was no one to let us in. He hasn't yet replied to the messages we sent.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't thin the taxi driver gains anything from driving you to the wrong place, so I imagine that it was a mistake rather than a "rogue taxi." As a side note, it's a good idea to always ask for a receipt from a taxi. Having that record makes it easier to retrieve property that you left in the car or to lodge a complaint.
As for the accommodation - Are you certain that you had the right number for the person who was waiting for you?

In 5/2017, I took a taxi from Albergue Seminario Menor to a bus stop for Airport. I had an impression the cost would be 5 euros or so. It turned out it was 20 euros. The Albergue's receptionist told me it was a 10 to 15 minutes walk.

On Google map, it was a "straight" line. I think, may due to some restricted driving directions (one-way), the driver could not take "short cut" to the bus stop.

By the way, since I requested (ordered) the taxi through the reception of the Albergue, the taxi driver started the meter at the moment he left his depot. It already costed a few euros.

In 5/2017, I took a taxi from Albergue Seminario Menor to a bus stop for Airport. I had an impression the cost would be 5 euros or so. It turned out it was 20 euros. The Albergue's receptionist told me it was a 10 to 15 minutes walk.

On Google map, it was a "straight" line. I think, may due to some restricted driving directions (one-way), the driver could not take "short cut" to the bus stop.

By the way, since I requested (ordered) the taxi through the reception of the Albergue, the taxi driver started the meter at the moment he left his depot. It already costed a few euros.

20 pound seems quite right to the airport from the Seminario Menor.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But €20 to praza de Galicia where you get the airport but seems a bit much.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A short look at the map of Santiago would get you walking from Seminario Menor to main bus station in SdC and that's it. 10, maybe 15 minutes of easy walk and you can spend those 20 € on something else. A gift? Few beers? ;)

You are right !!!!!!!! My humble apology, then 20 EU was a fraud.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.