• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roman bridge , Lorca.

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
One of the highlights of my first camino was crossing the Roman bridge which spanned the Salado River just before Lorca. I supose that the only way to save the bridge was to restore it but it was a step in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned. Here is a photo of the restored bridge , has anyone got a old photo to share of the bridge before restoration? I did find one on google images but copyright may be a problem?

Camino 2012 064aa.jpg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nope, sorry. I looked at my pics and it looks the same. I walked in 2013. Do you know when it was restored?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think I have pictures from either 200 or 2002, but I am not sure how to get them on the computer, since they are from a pre-digital world. Does anyone know how I can do it? Thanks, Laurie

Laurie, if you can find some-one with a scanner they can copy the photo into their computer and save it as a jpg etc, then you can load it here OK. We have scanned old photos and also slides in the past and it works well.

Off topic: I had a lovely lunch on one of the abutments of this bridge on a cold but sunny day five of our Camino on April 24th 2012. Fresh bread, cheese, chorizo, water, and chocolate for dessert.

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.02.04_15h22m15s_006_.png

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie, if you can find some-one with a scanner they can copy the photo into their computer and save it as a jpg etc, then you can load it here OK. We have scanned old photos and also slides in the past and it works well.

Thanks, Tia, sorry to be really dense, but do you mean the same scanner that is used to scan documents, or does it have to be a scanner specifically for pictures? Laurie

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I sent a note to a friend, fellow Pelerin, from France, Daniél Segura, who did the photography for a book "Les Ponts Du Chemin de Saint-Jacques." The photo in the book was of the restored bridge but he just sent me a photo of the bridge before restoration. I hope it comes out ok below. Dayton

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow! Big difference in appearance. Will the restored bridge look as good in a thousand years though given modern pollutants in the air, traffic volume, etc.?

Hi everyone
A notice. Not to be confuse Romano (Romano Empire) with Románico (Romano Style) XI,XII and XIII Centuries.
Puente Romano and Calzada Romana there are close by Ciraqui, between Puente la Reina and Estella.
There are close the Bridge of Lorca, (Bridge MEDIEVAL)
Best regars
Buen Camino.

Not to be confuse Romano (Romano Empire) with Románico (Romano Style) XI,XII and XIII Centuries.

Just to provide the proper translations into English:

Romano=Roman
Románico=Romanesque

P.S.: The bridge before Lorca isn't Roman but Medieval (as Mikel Olivares said).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Castilian. Thx for the explanation

Has anyone else noticed that when all these old Roman/Medieval bridges were built, it seems that there was a whole lot more water around? I can't help but be concerned.

Here's one I took in 2001. No copyright issues here. I wish they had left it alone---it showed the magic of the arches so well

roman bridge.JPG

€83,-
Off topic: I had a lovely lunch on one of the abutments of this bridge on a cold but sunny day five of our Camino on April 24th 2012. Fresh bread, cheese, chorizo, water, and chocolate for dessert.
View attachment 16193
In October 2014 I joined some other pilgrims there for lunch too - same menu! We could have stayed all day.

Here's one I took in 2001.
Wow!! Yes , this is how I remember it and all the camino 'advertising' at the time featured a pilgrim crossing this bridge as in your pic. I think that this view has almost been forgotten ; most pilgrims will think that the present bridge has always looked as it does today?
Thanx newfydog.:)

Last edited:
When I show my pictures, I always talk about how this bridge endured, and to this day, the farmers drive their tractors over those perfectly placed stones. I sent the photo to the Forest Service when they were spending a lot on money replacing a 50 year old bridge.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
With all the architectural jewels falling down and badly in need of repair, it seems that the money could have easily been spent much more profitably somewhere else. Love your picture, newfydog.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.