• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rome to Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Hawkins

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the camino in Spain but want to walk from Rome to Santiago this spring
I have walked the Camino in Spain however in the spring of 2014 I hope to hike from Rome. Any help I can get as to routes, accommodations, maps, or any helpful hint would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Don

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That sounds exciting.
You might talk to Sillydoll.
Seems she's done something like this.
If not, she's sure to know someone who has?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We have connected all the way, via the Francigena, La via della Costa, the voie Aurelienne, and the route from Arles.

Unless it is of special religious importance to you, I can think of better pilgrim trails.

Here's some links:

http://www.compostelle-paca-corse.info/Chemin/chemincompostellepaca.html

http://www.camminafrancigena.it/it/

http://www.viadellacosta.it/?lang=en

I wrote this on via Della Costa:

Extending from the French Italian border, on the Mediterranean coast, to the town of Sarzana, where it joins the via Francigena, is the lesser known route of the via Della Costa. It is indeed a historical route, following the ancient Roman via Aurellian, but it was probably no more than a local collector for medieval pilgrims making their way to and from Rome. It crosses some rough terrain, and while the Romans indeed had a great road upon which they could move an army to Arles on short notice, the route quickly evaporated upon the fall of the Roman empire, the stones used for sheepherder huts and the like. The main route for St James pilgrimages was probably north of the coastal mountains. To us, it was a natural connection of the French Chemins St Jacques and the via Francigena. It would tie us from Rome to Santiago.

Recently a group of Italians have done a nice job of marking out a route and putting together a guidebook and website.
http://www.viadellacosta.it/

Guidebook: La Via Della Costa by Monica D’Atti , Franco Cinti

The route is fairly well marked, with our familiar blue and yellow shells.

This is a bit of a schizophrenic route, which is less than ideal for either the cycling or walking pilgrim. The three personalities are:

Inland Historical. The route goes inland from the coast in several areas, connecting little mountain villages, some clinging to the slopes in a manner similar to towns in the Nepalese Himalaya. Pieces of Roman road and bridges abound, and many of the towns are genuinely old, but holy crap, it is tough going. Some days we pushed our lightly loaded bikes more in a day than we did the entire Camino Frances.

Coastal converted trail: We spent some idyllic days on the Italian Riviera, biking on dedicated pedestrian/bike routes right along the sea. These portions follow old rail beds and roads which have since been replaced by modern roads a bit inland, leaving the old road to be left to the non-motorized recreation. Some of what we rode was official via Della Costa, some was our detours escaping the tough inland route.

Busy coastal roads: These portions are the routes undoing. There are sections where the only way to connect it up is to join all the trucks and buses and cars crowded into a narrow road, often with a cliff to the north and a guardrail to the south. The Italian drivers are tolerant of bikes, totally unaccustomed to backpackers, and life becomes miserable for everyone. The forty km west of Genoa is awful. If you walk it, take a bus through there, if you bike, well, starting at five am on a Sunday might be a good idea.

Of course, east of Genoa one arrives in the magical land of the Cinque Terra, some of the most amazing walking villages in the world. We found these isolated fishing villages to be a bit hollowed out and touristy, but what scenery!

I don't mean to scare anyone of this route. If you want to connect Rome to Santiago, the via Della Costa will get you there, but It is for the experienced pilgrim. I would say it would be perfect for a walking pilgrim who wasn’t too much of a purist to take the odd bus or train.

We had no trouble finding nice places to stay (the agriturismos are wonderful), but we were not on a tight budget and we avoid church sponsored lodging. The society has put together a fairly good list of options, and if you can speak some Italian and plan ahead, cheaper lodging is out there.

Unless it is of special religious importance to you, I can think of better pilgrim trails.

Taken as a whole, the pilgrimage from Rome to Santiago was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying that I have made. I understand newfydog's reservations about the Via della Costa, but this is only 9 days out of a total of 97 days walking.

The Via della Costa can be avoided by continuing along the VF to Montgenevre and then the Via Domitia to Arles.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
AJ OR Sedona i know the thread is two years old ,but i will be doing england to rome and the rome to santiago in august -september 2019 ,i would like to know the route email me please message me

Last edited:
AJ OR Sedona i know the thread is two years old ,but i will be doing england to rome and the rome to santiago in august -september 2019 ,i would like to know the route email me
You need to edit your post to remove your email address - unless you like a lot of spam. 😂

You can contact forum members via private message by clicking on their user name, and choosing "start a conversation".

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You need to edit your post to remove your email address - unless you like a lot of spam. 😂

You can contact forum members via private message by clicking on their user name, and choosing "start a conversation".
done thanks ,my email program loves munching on spam ,lovely spam "
Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam;
egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage ":)

and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam
bacon spam tomato and spam;

AJ OR Sedona i know the thread is two years old ,but i will be doing england to rome and the rome to santiago in august -september 2019 ,i would like to know the route email me please message me

AJ/sedona/anthonymorris- im planning a similar trip towards the end of the year or early next year. Could i also get the route?

I walked Rome to Santiago in 2012. PM me with your email address and I will send you my "as walked" itinerary.
You wrote this in 2014, but I am wondering if you receive my reply and if I could communicate with you about your walk from Rome to Santiago? :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
AJ/sedona/anthonymorris- im planning a similar trip towards the end of the year or early next year. Could i also get the route?
Did you walk from Rome to Santiago? I am wondering if you have any information you collected and can share? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.