• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rome2Rio assistance

rickyt

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Sept/Oct 2023 Camino Frances
Hello, I am hoping some of you seasoned pilgrims can help me out with something. Is there a way to search Rome2Rio for a round trip when you will be departing from a different place than you arrived. What I mean is I will be flying from the US to Paris and then make my way to SJPdP. At the end of my journey I will be flying from Santiago or somewhere close. Is there a way to search for that? I am sure there is but I am not smart enough to figure it out apparently. :)
Thanks for answering something that is probably obvious to everyone else!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello, I am hoping some of you seasoned pilgrims can help me out with something. Is there a way to search Rome2Rio for a round trip when you will be departing from a different place than you arrived. What I mean is I will be flying from the US to Paris and then make my way to SJPdP. At the end of my journey I will be flying from Santiago or somewhere close. Is there a way to search for that? I am sure there is but I am not smart enough to figure it out apparently. :)

Two separate searches?

For me R2R is useful to look at different travel options from A to B. Flying, coach, ferry etc. If you know you are flying you can go to Skyscanner (or similar). There is a multi city search options. Two one ways will often be more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Two separate searches?
Yes, I realize I can just do two separate searches but I was just hoping there was a way to do a combined search in order to get a better idea of what I would be looking at in terms of possible flight options. Thanks!

O
Yes, I realize I can just do two separate searches but I was just hoping there was a way to do a combined search in order to get a better idea of what I would be looking at in terms of possible flight options. Thanks!
On Skyscanner you can do some very broad searches, such as USA to Everywhere and see what the cheapest European gate ways are.

Google Flights allows for this...I would NOT suggest using Rome2Rio in the manner that you are. It's better used to see what is the most efficient option for travel: train, air, car, bus and such.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Google Flights allows for this...I would NOT suggest using Rome2Rio in the manner that you are. It's better used to see what is the most efficient option for travel: train, air, car, bus and such.
Thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In a somewhat related question, I am interested in flying from Santiago to Paris for my return flight to the US. I've read that this may be problematic and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for arranging transport to an airport near Santiago and airlines to explore for a flight to Paris. Thanks!

In a somewhat related question, I am interested in flying from Santiago to Paris for my return flight to the US. I've read that this may be problematic and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for arranging transport to an airport near Santiago and airlines to explore for a flight to Paris. Thanks!
Why problematic?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Why would it be problematic?
Amongst other operators Vueling flies from Santiago via Barcelona to Paris.

Not sure what airlines are flying to Paris now, but you should be able to check this pretty easily. Are you worried about the Santiago to Paris or the Paris to US part?

If you fly Vueling, you may want to pay the extra when you book the ticket to fly your bag to Paris as they have strict carry on rules. Also VERY LITTLE leg room on or flight from Santiago to Paris a few years ago. My husband was glad we had no one else in our row as he had to sit with his knees cocked over the empty seat the whole trip.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On Skyscanner or kayak.com, you can put in multiple destinations and then coordinate land travel using Rome2Rio. However, do check with land based travel, such as train or bus availability as well before you book your flights.

Attachments

• 42F192DD-5DAC-4D52-8633-49AFE98BAEC4.png
    42F192DD-5DAC-4D52-8633-49AFE98BAEC4.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • B77F009E-0638-4AFA-ACA8-5CEA33782373.png
    B77F009E-0638-4AFA-ACA8-5CEA33782373.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Try Kayak and look at diferent cities. A Coruna is probably the next closest airport to Santiago. You can go there by train or bus. Vigo also has an airport.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Not sure what airlines are flying to Paris now, but you should be able to check this pretty easily. Are you worried about the Santiago to Paris or the Paris to US part?
Paris to US booked. I am wondering nearest airports to Santiago, shuttles/transportation from Santiago to airport and best airline to use.

If you fly Vueling, you may want to pay the extra when you book the ticket to fly your bag to Paris as they have strict carry on rules. Also VERY LITTLE leg room on or flight from Santiago to Paris a few years ago. My husband was glad we had no one else in our row as he had to sit with his knees cocked over the empty seat the whole trip.
Wonderful advice - thanks!

Regardless of which flight search engine you use, please only book directly with the airline, not with one of the third party ticket sellers that advertise on those search engines. Many of them advertise a low price but don't have "live" pricing. They will accept your booking "request" (and money) but if they can't buy the tickets at the advertised price they will come back to you asking for more money.
Plus, especially during these times of many flight changes you are stuck with a middleman between you and the airline who may charge you fees for services that the airline provides for free.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Paris to US booked. I am wondering nearest airports to Santiago, shuttles/transportation from Santiago to airport and best airline to use.
Since your flight(s) from Santiago to Paris will be on separate tickets I highly recommend that you overnight in Paris rather than putting your transatlantic flight at risk. Your flights to Paris could be delayed, or one or both airlines could change their schedules making a "connection" impossible.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Regardless of which flight search engine you use, please only book directly with the airline, not with one of the third party ticket sellers that advertise on those search engines. Many of them advertise a low price but don't have "live" pricing. They will accept your booking "request" (and money) but if they can't buy the tickets at the advertised price they will come back to you asking for more money.
Plus, especially during these times of many flight changes you are stuck with a middleman between you and the airline who may charge you fees for services that the airline provides for free.
I have learned my lesson after having to "pull teeth" to get refunds for four family members I had booked that were cancelled due to covid in 2020, purchased through Kayak third parties. I have flown a few times since and only go through the original airline of choice now...much more peace of mind.

Always book direct. Skyscanner offers you a list of providers including operating carrier tho they be down the page a bit as may not be cheapest!
Others may appear to be cheaper, but as I said above many don't have live pricing and if you click through you may find their price to be the same or higher than the airline. And their customer service abysmal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes agreed to a point tho most of the big European consolidators do have live pricing I think. Airlines do try and have ‘lowest price in market’ though its very hard to guarantee.

A big ‘watch out’ is baggage. 3rd party sites have quite ambiguous descriptions, and will charge for extra baggage often over and above the airline charge.
Others may appear to be cheaper, but as I said above many don't have live pricing and if you click through you may find their price to be the same or higher than the airline. And their customer service abysmal.

Also many airline have a hotels arm as well so if looking to stay in say Paris or Madrid for a couple of nights check this out. They tend to be more upscale properties but some good prices. The more you can book direct the better… and no, Camino ambergues are not offered!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be flying from the US to Paris and then make my way to SJPdP. At the end of my journey I will be flying from Santiago or somewhere close.
When your travel itinerary is missing a transportation leg you are doing what is called open jaw travel. You may want to try to get the same airline for all the travel with an open jaw ticket. I'm mentioning this as using these terms in an online search may help you find what you are looking for.

If possible use the same airline on both sides of a connection so if the connection is missed it will be the airline's job to move you along.

I will say even booking directly we have had some Snafus. Last fall my husband got rebooked by the airlines on two different airlines when his flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems out of Denver. He was temporarily stranded in Germany enroute to Madrid. Then his flight was cancelled on the return. No customer service and he was repeatedly hung up on by the airline. We won't fly Air France again.

Having trouble with Lufthansa now for our trip to Spain next week. We booked through United, but 2 legs are with Lufthansa, a partner airline. No customer service. Calls are disconnected because they are too busy. Can't get seat numbers for the Spanish health app and no way to do it online--says we must call. We will make up something and change when we get actual seat numbers if needed, but flying IS NOT like it used to be.

We'll get there eventually. A pilgrimage is not easy...o_O...but I am still up to the task.

Even if some of 3rd party vendors are slightly cheaper, they normally don’t include seats or bags. And often getting service through some of these non airline companies creates unnecessary stress.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Goo
I will say even booking directly we have had some Snafus. Last fall my husband got rebooked by the airlines on two different airlines when his flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems out of Denver. He was temporarily stranded in Germany enroute to Madrid. Then his flight was cancelled on the return. No customer service and he was repeatedly hung up on by the airline. We won't fly Air France again.

Having trouble with Lufthansa now for our trip to Spain next week. We booked through United, but 2 legs are with Lufthansa, a partner airline. No customer service. Calls are disconnected because they are too busy. Can't get seat numbers for the Spanish health app and no way to do it online--says we must call. We will make up something and change when we get actual seat numbers if needed, but flying IS NOT like it used to be.

We'll get there eventually. A pilgrimage is not easy...o_O...but I am still up to the task.
Sorry to hear that and good point. Obviously anything can go wrong and where possible try and fly with the same operating carrier (as opposed to marketing carrier).. whilst the big airline partnerships are trying to offer a seamless experience across their member airlines that is easier said that done!

One needs to be flexible when traveling, for sure! But booking directly with the airline will reduce the hassle.

Goo

Sorry to hear that and good point. Obviously anything can go wrong and where possible try and fly with the same operating carrier (as opposed to marketing carrier).. whilst the big airline partnerships are trying to offer a seamless experience across their member airlines that is easier said that done!
Of course we did this to ourselves wanting to fly "economy plus" with extra room over coach but not as expensive as business/first class. Only the tickets with legs on Lufthansa offered this option. We should know better than to tempt travel fate.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One needs to be flexible when traveling, for sure! But booking directly with the airline will reduce the hassle.
Yes. We booked directly with United. They were the ones with the partnership with Lufthansa which is supposed to be seamless for the traveler...Live and learn.

Yes. We booked directly with United. They were the ones with the partnership with Lufthansa which is supposed to be seamless for the traveler...Live and learn.
Actually, I have had good experiences on shared code flights with Lufthansa and UA when my flights have been late getting into Europe. When I was late, for example, into Munich on UA, announcements were made where to go to reschedule. The change process took 10minutes. We got out on the next flight to Bilbao. Having booked through the airlines directly made it seemless. When a flight gets cancelled, very often…the process gets complicated, particularly If not a a hub of the airline. Flying can be an adventure!

My advice is, if you can, from the USA fly directly to Europe. So if someone asks me is it better to fly to Paris or Madrid to get to SJPdP, my response is…if one is a nonstop direct flight from a city near you, take it!

Also, I look at, if I am making a connecting flight in Europe, how many additional flights are going to my destination from my connecting city that day. I keep a screen shot of connecting flights when I leave the USA.

Last edited:
Are you flying transatlantic legs on UA and European legs on LH?
No, mixed. Laramie to Denver is United. Denver to Frankfurt and Frankfurt to Madrid Lufthansa.
Coming back: Lufthansa to Frankfurt. United from Frankfurt and the rest of the wsy home.

Last edited:
Actually, I have had good experiences on shared code flights with Lufthansa and UA when y flight was late into Munich. Our7nited flight left2.5 hrs late and weweresupposedto have an 1:45 connection time to Bilbao. Lufthansa announced where to reschedule and we got the next flight on Lufthansa to Bilbao. Having booked through the airlines directly made it seem less. When a flight gets cancelled, schedules often get interrupted…even if every flights on the same airline.
Normally I have, too, which is why we booked this way, but customer service has been a drawback with many airlines the past 2 years.

I booked when tickets were still pretty cheap back on the winter and fewer people were traveling. We used airline credit from travel cancelled pre-March 2020 so I am not out much money, just a little long on frustration. As I said we will get there eventually.

Normally I have, too, which is why we booked this way, but customer service has been a drawback with many airlines the past 2 years.

I booked when tickets were still pretty cheap back on the winter and fewer people were traveling. We used airline credit from travel cancelled pre-March 2020 so I am not out much money, just a little long on frustration. As I said we will get there eventually.
I hope things go smoothly!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When your travel itinerary is missing a transportation leg you are doing what is called open jaw travel. You may want to try to get the same airline for all the travel with an open jaw ticket. I'm mentioning this as using these terms in an online search may help you find what you are looking for.

If possible use the same airline on both sides of a connection so if the connection is missed it will be the airline's job to move you along.
Thank you. That is very helpful to know.

There are multiple ways of doing two or three searches.

I would search my home city to Madrid return, then Madrid to Pamplona, then Santiago de Compostela to Madrid.

Doesn't have to be Madrid but Madrid has heaps of connections. Alternatively I would do home city to Barcelona return.

The international long distance routes are best done major city to major city. Short distance international routes (e.g. within Europe) could be done small city to small city.

Hi Rickyt
My modus operandi has been to catch a train from Paris to Bordeaux. There you catch either a little bus or a small local train to SJPP. In the past I have taken Ryan air flights once from Santiago to Frankfurt and once from Santiago to Barcelona. Flights out of Santiago are regular and there is a good bus service from Santiago to the airport (about 10km).
Bon Camino
Hans

Since your flight(s) from Santiago to Paris will be on separate tickets I highly recommend that you overnight in Paris rather than putting your transatlantic flight at risk. Your flights to Paris could be delayed, or one or both airlines could change their schedules making a "connection" impossible.
Thanks. I booked a flight from Santiago 2 days before my flight to the US. The Louvre will be open and I plan to get lost there for the day. =) Also I have come to realize the "problematic" reference with regards to flying from Santiago to Paris. On weekdays the flights are a minimum of 5 hours involving at least one connecting flight. On Sundays there are direct flights involving a duration of 1hr 55. Mucho más bonito! Thanks to all for the valuable advice.

I use Skyscanner for flights, and use the "multicity" option to get flights for an "open jaw" (coming into one airport, but out another) I use Rome2Rio for land based travel. Is Rome2Rio a good source for flights, too?

I use Skyscanner for flights, and use the "multicity" option to get flights for an "open jaw" (coming into one airport, but out another) I use Rome2Rio for land based travel. Is Rome2Rio a good source for flights, too?
I don't think that Rome2Rio is not a good search engine for flights - that's not its purpose for to me. I use Rome2Rio to discover the different posible ways to get from point A to point B, such as flying, train, bus, etc. Then if flying is an option I want to pursue I use Google Flights to find airlines for that route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't think that Rome2Rio is not a good search engine for flights - that's not its purpose for to me. I use Rome2Rio to discover the different posible ways to get from point A to point B, such as flying, train, bus, etc. Then if flying is an option I want to pursue I use Google Flights to find airlines for that route.
100% correct. Just shows modes of transport available and if you chooose flying head off to various Online travel agents or consolidators!

Matrix.itasoftware.com has all sorts of interesting options.
See also Azuon.com

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back