• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ronan on the Camino – Irish TV documentary – TG4

Bannerman

Time of past OR future Camino
(2006)Sarria-SDC,(2007)Leon-Sarria,(2008)Burgos-Leon,(2009)SJPP-Burgos,(2010)Sarria-SDC,(2013)SJPP-SDC.
A weekly TV programme in the Irish language with English subtitles, can be found on the TG4 player http://www.tg4.ie/en/tg4-player/tg4-player.html
Once on the webpage click on “Entertainment” then click on “Rónán ar an Camino”
There are five small circles underneath the programmes listed, there is a black dot in the first circle to indicate current week , to view previous week’s programmes click on the second circle and so on.
The programmes are broadcasted on a Thursday night with the TG4 player updated on Fridays.
21.02.13: We follow radio presenter Rónán Mac Aodha Bhuí as he walks the Camino de Santiago, an ancient religious pilgrimage. This week he sets out across the Pyrenees to Roncesvalles...
28.02.13: In this episode, Rónán samples Basque culture in the city of Pamplona and finds himself in the middle of a bull run in the streets of Los Arcos.
Hope you enjoy.
Buen Camino.
Des. :lol:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
For a man who says he is unfit etc he didn't appear to have too much difficulty on day 1 - his feet were sore but apart from that, he seems to have coped well.

sergeantmajormammy said:
For a man who says he is unfit etc he didn't appear to have too much difficulty on day 1 - his feet were sore but apart from that, he seems to have coped well.

I'd cope quite well if my backpack was as empty as his was

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's not too bad. Guy is a little annoying but at least you get a taste of the Camino. I suspect he is not actually walking all the stages. Good to see so many Irish living in Spain and on the way...

Would agree with the three comments, especially ffp13.
Me thinks there may be artistic license involved in the production as is the case with most TV productions, nevertheless very enjoyable and was surprised to hear other gaeilgeoirí ar an Camino.
Buen Camino.
Des. :lol:

He started with 2 trekking poles somehow stuck in his backpack, but when he was filmed walking/ using them he only had one?

All nitpicking aside I did enjoy watching the first two episodes,

Does this TV documentary mean that we will now see more Irish on the Camino? I hope so because the few that I have met on previous caminos were great company with a sense of humour that I could relate to ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As a Camino junkie I'd happily watch a paper bag blowing from one end of the CF to the other. And quite frankly a paper bag would provide at least some insight and show more character than Ronan (not 'character' as in central casting calls for "oirish ham"- of that he had plenty). The presenter is well...an omadhaun (an eejit on steroids) In part one (crossing the Pyrenees) he was shown meandering along with two fully extended walking poles sticking up out of a tiny, otherwise empty, daypack.......were these an attempt at DIY aerials? Perhaps the poor cratur was trying to contact his mothership?
And the fact that this version of Carry on up the Camino is 'as gaeilge' merely adds insult to injury. What's next Dougal and Fr Jack do the Via Francigena......actually that would be a decided improvement on this offering.
If I were within a mile of this pilgrim it would be a case of 'Murder on the Camino Frances' now there's an idea for a docudrama!
There may well be an increase in the number of Irish pilgrims due to this programme. After all we'll have to make some form of national penance for funding and broadcasting this paddywhackery.

(as a point of information it was stated in part one that he was going to walk 150 kms of the CF but didn't specify what 'bits')

nellpilgrim said:
The presenter is well...an omadhaun (an eejit on steroids)

I am glad that you clarified the meaning of an omadhaun. even when the Irish speak English subtitles are sometimes required ;)

If he is planning to obtain his compestalla he will need to walk more than his stated 150km of the Camino Frances given that he has already walked from SJPP to pamplona. ( maybe, as i suspect he didn't walk the entire trek from SJPP to Pamplona? )

Frank

ffp13 said:
nellpilgrim said:
The presenter is well...an omadhaun (an eejit on steroids)

I am glad that you clarified the meaning of an omadhaun. even when the Irish speak English subtitles are sometimes required ;)
Frank

Actually he got off rather lightly Frank as the first vernacular adjective and noun that came to mind were one's that are universally understood :shock: .
Nell

Amadan ( idiot) you are too kind, as a veteran camino walker, I think this man ? Would do well to stick to radio, we the taxpayer are paying for this nonsense , pity the bulls didn't get up closer and personal, starting my next camino in SJP deP April 17th, Buen camino and see you you all on camino

mad galway man said:
Amadan ( idiot) you are too kind, as a veteran camino walker, I think this man ? Would do well to stick to radio, we the taxpayer are paying for this nonsense , pity the bulls didn't get up closer and personal, starting my next camino in SJP deP April 17th, Buen camino and see you you all on camino

Steady pilgrim.....but I know how you feel :lol:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
mad galway man said:

Hi Mad Galway man. I'm a mad Limerick man who lived many years in Galway. I'll be a few days behind you. Starting my second Camino from SJPP on April 21st. Buen Camino..

Now there’s a thought , Fr Ted, Fr Dougal & Fr Jack on the Camino watching a paper bag blowing from one end of the CF to the other, can’t wait to see that episode !!!
On Camino over the years we have met with some eccentric and colourful characters who I think for the most part bring another dimension and contribute to the diversity of the Camino.
Back on the CF 18th March , hope the weather improves between now and then.
Tóg go bóg é
Slán go fóill
Buen Camino
Des. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And the fact that this version of Carry on up the Camino is 'as gaeilge' merely adds insult to injury. What's next Dougal and Fr Jack do the Via Francigena......actually that would be a decided improvement on this offering.

Nell, for us Father Ted devotees I suppose the only fair comment would have to be: 'That would be an ecumenical matter'.

:wink:

Seamus

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
supersullivan said:

Nell, for us Father Ted devotees I suppose the only fair comment would have to be: 'That would be an ecumenical matter'.

:wink:

Seamus

My goodness, such vitriol from the pilgrims !

/quote]
My goodness, such vitriol from the pilgrims ![/quote]

We're just pilgrims not saints....... but if I had to walk with Ronan that would definitely make me a candidate for martyrdom :wink:

I was walking at the same time as him last year..we met a couple of times (as you do).What started out as "just another slot" to the production ladies got to be taken rather more seiously as they got into the spirit.Yes they had a Mercedes Vito and driver and fixer as support...but i watched the man walking.If he inspires others to follow it is a good thing?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
na2than said:
I was walking at the same time as him last year..we met a couple of times (as you do).What started out as "just another slot" to the production ladies got to be taken rather more seiously as they got into the spirit.Yes they had a Mercedes Vito and driver and fixer as support...but i watched the man walking.If he inspires others to follow it is a good thing?

Relative to our population there has always been a high 'uptake' of pilgrimage in Ireland Those numbers have been going up since the start of the recession, not only on CF but to other pilgrimage sites including local less formal pilgrimages.
There are the old school 'regulars' walking to the shrine of the saint for religious reasons. There are young Irish people who are walking the Camino because there are no jobs for them at home and they're trying to remap their lives-probably by taking their skill, energy and inspiration off to Canada, NZ or Australia. They may be walking with mates that they won't see for a long time if ever. There are men and women walking who have lost jobs, self worth, homes and sometimes their families trying to salvage the fabric of their lives and rediscover those values that will help them through what lies ahead. The rate of suicide has soared in Ireland and there are pilgrims walking who are trying to come to terms with that most final of actions taken by a partner, child, sibling or friend. Irish pilgrims are walking-we may be walking as a form of national penance for the foolishness of the Celtic Tiger years- we are walking with thanks, with prayer, with hope, with determination, with apprehension, in supplication and in despair-and the inspiring face of Irish pilgrimage is Ronan......really?
Walking over from SJPP to Roncevalles, it would be fair to say a challenging and inspiring section of the route for most pilgrims, our hero's moment of epiphany was 'clocking' Bob Marley tatoos on the back of a young mans calves-Ronan's energy,excitement and 'engagement' soared at this point. He started singing and dancing and ,if the young man had been willing, we would have been treated to a full 'session and mighty craic'. We got single a fleeting reference to the fact that the lad had walked 2000km so far but no explanation of that fact -Where had he walked from? Was he one of those remarkable pilgrims who walk to SDC and then turn around and walk back?
and above all why was this young man on pilgrimage and walking by himself?
As a nation we have paid this eejit to gallivant along some 150kms of the route attending any party event his 'fixers' can arrange from dancing with the Gigantes in Pamplona to bull running in Los Arcos. So yes I agree for that percentage of the population who have money to burn and want to 'party on down" ...well feck it anywhere so why not the Camino? no doubt he will be an inspiration. And some poor lad, after a night on the town in Pamplona, following Ronan's example will no doubt get arrested for trying to have 'a whirl' with the Gigantes figures.
Remember we're just being presented with 'the good stuff' so God knows what jewels of insight and inspiration litter the floor of the editing room. Perhaps, after the next IMF whiplash impacts the country, we should request "Ronan on Camino-the outtakes" what do you think?

Well said Na2than. I haven't yet walked the Camino but one of the things I have learned here on this forum is that everyone's Camino is different and who am I, or any one of us, to say whether Ronan's camino is less genuine than one's own. It's good to remember the phrase re 'walking a while in another's shoes' ...

sergeantmajormammy said:
Well said Na2than. I haven't yet walked the Camino but one of the things I have learned here on this forum is that everyone's Camino is different and who am I, or any one of us, to say whether Ronan's camino is less genuine than one's own. It's good to remember the phrase re 'walking a while in another's shoes' ...
....I'm not saying it's not genuine I think he is genuinely having 'his Camino' God bless him and all belonging to him.... the cratur and if I ever want to walk in the shoes of a gobs_i_t_ he will indeed be an inspiration.
But in my country at the moment (and they tell tell us for the next 40 yrs) resources are not only in short supply but any that are there are earmarked to pay back 'Bank depts' So it's our hard earned tax money (or, for those in greater distress, then some of their benefit) that is being used to subsidise his antics.

Do I think we as a people need to find/rediscover or recalibrate our values to provide a more enduring 'north star' in order to orientate our lives-yes. Do I think that the Camino, or indeed any act of pilgrimage, can help the Irish people to that end- yes. Do we need another Camino documentary to provide information and encouragement- we could do with a barrel full of them! But guess what? We don't have the money to make them so Ronan's caper is likely, for the next couple of years at best, to be IT. Realistically speaking here was our (Irish) 'one shot' at making an inspiring current documentary on the Camino and what we got was......"jesus look at that lad.....he has Bob Marley tattooed on his legs Good man Bob!". This is like showing a starving man a bowl of wax fruit : :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I waiting to see the Sky1 spin off (copycat program) when Ricky Gervais sends Karl Pilkington abroad to walk the Camino .

ffp13 said:
I waiting to see the Sky1 spin off (copycat program) when Ricky Gervais sends Karl Pilkington abroad to walk the Camino .

Oh dear God I forgot that series "An idiot abroad'...it was probably an "inspiration"....
I guess one has to remember first and foremost Ronan was making a programme not a pilgrimage. And for that very reason, the conscious presention of himself and his journey on national TV, he is in my opinion, 'fair game'. If there were no camera, no paid for flights, no fixers, no 'alternative accommodation', no crew, no Mercedes backup vehicle, no sponsorship from a company who organise Camino Package tours would Ronan have hit the road at all one wonders? With all of this support he managed to knock off some 150km over a period of what some 3/4 weeks?
Ireland subsidising middle aged men on European junkets..... now that rings a bell :shock:
Watch this space for the 'Ronan's Camino' coffee table book out just in time for Christmas 2014 and the seminar/talk 'Ronan's Camino' coming soon to a venue near near you sponsored, like the programme, by the very same Camino Package tour company. Isn't it great to see 'one hand washing the other' whilst simultaneously both pull the wool over our eyes?
I never thought I'd say it but "Come back Jimmy Nesbitt all is forgiven" his performance in 'The Way' appears positively messianic by comparison.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
MCVet said:
He didn't seem that bad to me?...

That's because you're nice ..... and you're not subsidising him.

nellpilgrim said:
/quote]
My goodness, such vitriol from the pilgrims !

We're just pilgrims not saints....... but if I had to walk with Ronan that would definitely make me a candidate for martyrdom :wink:[/quote]

Nell

just bring him over the Dragonte variation and tell him there's no need to bring any food or water because there's no shortage of cafes after the 1st hours walking. :oops:

Seamus

celtic trekker said:
mad galway man said:

Hi Mad Galway man. I'm a mad Limerick man who lived many years in Galway. I'll be a few days behind you. Starting my second Camino from SJPP on April 21st. Buen Camino..
Hi mad Galway and Limerick men. I am a nutter from Antrim starting on St Patrick's day but at the rate I walk you will probably both overtake me :lol:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was this filmed last summer? I wonder how he ended up in the old Albergue in Roncesvalles with the one room containing 100+ bunks. I stayed in Roncesvalles last April and the facility was pretty much brand new. :?

nc6000 said:
Was this filmed last summer? I wonder how he ended up in the old Albergue in Roncesvalles with the one room containing 100+ bunks. I stayed in Roncesvalles last April and the facility was pretty much brand new. :?

This was the main hostel till 2010, it is still in use as an overflow for the new hostel, because he arrived late, the new hostel would've been full an he would've been sent down the hill to that hostel, the same happened to me in 2011.

Yes, he was a little bit annoying, but I wouldn't be as vitriolic about it as some. I quite enjoyed the documentary. Having walked the Camino Frances myself last summer, it was nice to see some familiar places, and it helped to bring some memories back to the surface.

I would've preferred something that looked to go beneath the surface a little more, and there was certainly a touch of smoke and mirrors about just how much walking Ronan actually did, but I'm certainly happier that this Irish documentary was done rather than none at all.

I don't know whether it'll boost Irish pilgrim numbers or not. We already punch above our weight in the statistics!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I watched the first two episodes but missed the final one. He seemed like a grand chap but it was funny when he spoke in Irish to other nationalities. What time did he need to leave StJPdeP to arrive in Roncesvalles at 10pm?? :eek:
It probably would have gotten a wider audience on RTE.

I have now watched them all and have to say the last couple were the best imo, Taken for what it is and that would be light hearted i thought it was watchable, He seems a very amiable guy as most Irish people are

Dave

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Dave Courtenay said:
I have now watched them all and have to say the last couple were the best imo, Taken for what it is and that would be light hearted i thought it was watchable, He seems a very amiable guy as most Irish people are

Dave

I would agree with your take on it. I definitely enjoyed the last two episodes the most, and probably enjoyed the third installment most of all. That one felt like it was most immersed in the day-to-day of the Camino.

The second episode was probably the one I enjoyed the least. There wasn't anything wrong with it per se, just that all the time spent in Pamplona and Los Arcos and away from the pilgrim vibe made it feel more like a generic travel programme - and I never watch those shows!!!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I agree that the last two programmes were better than the first two. Ronan's tone changed becoming more introspective and relatively thoughtful. He actually seemed to be beginning to 'get the camino'. Luck was with him, or rather his fixers, as he also stumbled upon some very engaging pilgrims (the Japanese father and his two young sons, the Dublin family walking together and the blissed out older lady who had walked 1600km and was so happy to be at her journey's end all spring to mind) whose personal stories touched and intrigued one as a viewer.
So there I was fully prepared to recant and admit that I may have have been up on my high horse galloping over some fairly high moral ground (a recipe for a fall if ever there was one :roll: ) in my former posts on this topic.....but then Ronan AKA BANKSY went and pulled out an indelible pen ( now there's an essential part of every pilgrims kit and so worth the additional weight don't you think? ) and proceeded to deface a stone milage marker with a gratuitous piece of graffiti. Aside from the issue of an adult defacing a public marker on national TV and the great example that sets lets cut to what Ronan scrawled in our (the Irish Tax payers) name wait for it..... 'Up the Gaels'! Now remember he's in Galicia and therefore up to his tonsils in celtic genomes so that sentiment was redundant to say the least. Our hero's excuse was that he thought it would inspire other 'gaels' walking by! Well what his action 'inspired' in me was embarrassment and regret on my country's behalf-gee thanks Ronan. How would he feel I wonder if he came across 'Up the Brits' scrawled on a signpost leading into Lourdes or Mejegorje?
I'm afraid that as far as Ronan is concerned I'm back in the saddle (of me high horse) again!

Just thought I'd add something to this post rather than setting another one up. On Tv3 (22/3) on their regular holiday programme, there was a small piece about the Camino. It can be viewed on the player on the tv3 website. It was pretty short though.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back