• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Accomodations

Gabe_Way

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from SJPDP to Santiago - May-June 2019
(Walking)
Hello everyone!
I'm starting on May 5th from SJPDP. But in Roncesvalles I can't find any albergue on booking. The average price for accommodation is 90 EUR!
Does anybody have some recommendations? Names of albergues?
Thanks,
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everyone!
I'm starting on May 5th from SJPDP. But in Roncesvalle I can't find any albergue on booking. The average price for accommodation is 90 EUR!
Thanks,
Buen Camino!
There is one albergue in Roncesvalles, and it's not on Booking.com. You can book directly from their website. I have read that it's best to use PayPal.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have read that it's best to use PayPal.
I take that back. I just tried to book on the site and there is no PayPal option, and my credit card payment didn't go through. I know that there is some secret to booking there. Who knows what it is?

I take that back. I just tried to book on the site and there is no PayPal option, and my credit card payment didn't go through. I know that there is some secret to booking there. Who knows what it is?

Hmmm I don’t think so - when I booked with a credit card it was very straightforward. I got a confirmation email immediately.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Alright, I actually managed to make a reservation with a regular credit card. In fact, it didn't work at the first attempt, but when I tried again with a different one, it went through smoothly.

I read in this thread that it some people email the albergue and ask for instructions to pay with PayPal if your credit card isn't accepted. This is the email address
Hello everyone!
I'm starting on May 5th from SJPDP. But in Roncesvalles I can't find any albergue on booking. The average price for accommodation is 90 EUR!
Thanks,
Buen Camino!
Hi,
We are bi
I read in this thread that it some people email the albergue and ask for instructions to pay with PayPal if your credit card isn't accepted. This is the email address
I sent them an email for a May 6 Booking. They promptly replied with the Paypal link.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did I miss something along the way? What happened to walking over the Pyrenees, ambling into the albergue at Roncesvalles, and being assigned a bed in the HUGE facility?

Given the size of this place, one would think that reservations would be wholly unnecessary. I have walked in twice, in late April, with no problems. Is booking a seasonal phenomenon, or has it become required year-round?

'splain please?

Did I miss something along the way? What happened to walking over the Pyrenees, ambling into the albergue at Roncesvalles, and being assigned a bed in the HUGE facility?

Given the size of this place, one would think that reservations would be wholly unnecessary. I have walked in twice, in late April, with no problems. Is booking a seasonal phenomenon, or has it become required year-round?

'splain please?
You are right :) I would prefer not to. However, given the growing popularity of the CF in the past few years, I was looking at the booking website to get an idea, and when I saw that most of the accommodations were not vacant already, I said 'You know what? Better safe than sorry.' :)
Also, I'll be going on May 5, and I have read that this month starts to get pretty busy. (Not as much as in July/August obviously but still.)
By the way, what year in late April did you stay at the Albergue in Roncesvalles? Because every year there are more and more people wanting to do the Camino. Anyway, I hope it's gonna be like you said. I'd enjoy it even more. :)

Last edited:
I walked the entire Frances both in 2013 and again in 2014... Both times, I reserved and stayed at Orisson, then walked into Roncesvalles and had no problem getting a bed in the dormitory. It did fill up. But perhaps I arrived earlier than most.

But, this is still a new development. I shall have to allow for it the next time...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

'splain please?
Did you miss that they only can offer 183 beds now because of fire codes or something? I have a friend that was turned away last September.
I wasn't going to reserve, but then I decided that since it's the only albergue there that I might as well, since I've decided that I do really want to stay there and not walk further that day. I had a good experience there in 2016.

I walked the entire Frances both in 2013 and again in 2014... Both times, I reserved and stayed at Orisson, then walked into Roncesvalles and had no problem getting a bed in the dormitory. It did fill up. But perhaps I arrived earlier than most.

But, this is still a new development. I shall have to allow for it the next time...
Oh ok. I think I saw that at Orrison all accommodations were fully booked, so I decided to go directly from SJPDP to Roncesvalles. It should be about six hours or so. Anyway, I'll eventually let you guys know if the big, old monastery was packed. Hopefully not. :)

Given the popularity of this accommodation, one would hope they would try to find a way to satisfy the fire marshal so they could use the extra beds I believe they have.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Given the popularity of this accommodation, one would hope they would try to find a way to satisfy the fire marshal so they could use the extra beds I believe they have.
Andreo
Walked in 2013 as well your not originally from Germany are you ?

Also, I'll be going on May 5, and I have read that this month starts to get pretty busy. (Not as much as in July/August obviously but still.)
Actually May and September are the busiest months for starting in SJPP. July and August are busiest for the Sarria-Santiago section. So it is good that you've reserved.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh, wow. 😲 Good to know then! Thank you :)

I had trouble making a reservation at the Albergue de Peregrinos at first and only had success when there was no automatic English translation on my browser. It worked in Spanish. The reservation went through and the payment was straightforward. I believe they accept reservations only for the first floor and the rest are for walk-ins only. Making a reservation at Roncesvalles was recommended at Beilari where I will be staying in St. Jean Pied de Port on April 18th.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tom, wouldn't that be great! If the Conciello would just cough up the cash along with the regulations then everyone would be happy; except the local hoteliers I suspect. I dread to think what the modernisation costs would be for the rest of that ancient edifice but at €12 a punter per night I think most project managers would choke unless they were planning a motorway or a high-speed railway line.

For me it is a modern tragedy. We can no longer choose risk or discomfort or even squalor - those options in life have been legislated into absence. There was a time when I could choose to spend a night on a straw palliasse in the company of drunken and possibly flea-bit strangers but that option has been managed out of my life. There was a time when Roncesvalles was full only when every last corner had a grateful pilgrim wedged into its ancient nooks or modern shipping containers. Now, it is full when its license says it is full. And even the stable is out-of-bounds to wanderers in search of shelter...

Tink, I quite agree with you. But, I had thought they actually had additional beds in the renovated area, but have been limited due to som fire code or regulation.

Someone correct me, but I seem to recall an earlier figure of 220 total beds on three floors. Could it be that they lost the use of on floor...perhaps the upper floor?

Does anyone have an old Brierley Guide that shows a higher number than 180 beds?

Of course, there is a distinct possibility biliary that I am misremembering. Age will do that to one...

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Does anyone have an old Brierley Guide that shows a higher number than 180 beds?

I have the 9th edition, published 2013. 183 [183÷4] beds "spread over 3 floors with bunk beds in cubicles of 4."

"Summer overflow in the original medieval hostel Izandegia on the main road with 110 beds in one room!" (Brierley's exclamation point 😊).

Not sure if that sheds any light....

'splain please?

I don't know how often it occurs, but both times I walked from SJPdP to Roncesvalles -- October 2017 and October 2018 -- the Hospitaleros were turning away a lot of pilgrims by the time I arrived. They were calling for taxis to take folks to the next towns along the way. Maybe because of the popularity of Fall Camino walking? I had made reservations both times because I wanted to request a bottom bunk.

Based on Brierley’s 2013 edition, I assess that I misremembered. That was also my first Camino. I was there during the last week of April. I did not could the beds...

It looks like simple supply & demand at work.

Just as an aside, instead of walking a camino in 2021, the next Holy Year, I plan to offer to volunteer twice at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. Based on past level records, traffic could surge to TWICE the previous year’s volume in this one year.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Try again using your credit card. I just completed a reservation using a Visa.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In 2016 there was overflow accommodation outside in containers. I remember being grateful for arriving earlier and getting a nice cubicle in the main building.

I managed to made a reservation for bed and dinner through their web page. I thought that maybe it's better to book accommodation for first night of Camino. Later on I'll try to find place to sleep without booking, because I don't want to plan so much my daily route.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

'splain please?
They have only around 180 beds available these days Tom . 🙏

then everyone would be happy; except the local hoteliers I suspect.
I have heard - but NO idea if it’s actually the case - (prospective fake news alert?😉) that it was to appease the local hoteliers in Roncesvalles that the number of beds available in the albergue was reduced....
I can’t remember if it was from comments in a newspaper or someone talking to me in the bar in Roncesvalles....🤨

Be wary of Booking.com they always say there is only 1 room left. On this Sunday just gone 4 of us arrived at Roncesvalles and did not fancy the big Albergue so decided to walk to Burguette this also left 2 of us uninspired, a quick look on Booking showed that Haizea had only 1 room free. So 2 of us carrirred onto Espinal. Walked into the bar and asked for a room. We were the only people in a 13 man room. No other pilgrims in the hostel. Don't believe booking com . I realize it is early in the season so might be worse later.

Be wary of Booking.com they always say there is only 1 room left. On this Sunday just gone 4 of us arrived at Roncesvalles and did not fancy the big Albergue so decided to walk to Burguette this also left 2 of us uninspired, a quick look on Booking showed that Haizea had only 1 room free. So 2 of us carrirred onto Espinal. Walked into the bar and asked for a room. We were the only people in a 13 man room. No other pilgrims in the hostel. Don't believe booking com . I realize it is early in the season so might be worse later.
Booking.com isn't lying. They are saying that there is only one room available on their site. This is because hotels, albergues, etc only make a limited number of rooms/beds available on the different booking sites. It's often possible to call the hotel directly and book a room when booking.com has no inventory left on their site.

Screenshot_20190403-063331_Bookingcom.jpg

Last edited:

As I understand it hotels don't sell all their rooms on booking.com so it's the number of rooms in their allocation that are which is indicated, not all the rooms in the hotel.

Edit: @trecile beat me to it. With illustration for good measure 😔

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.