• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Albergue April 2022

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
The Lowveld Ramblers were looking forward to their camino in May this year, but sadly we have had to postpone, yet again (like many others), and Roncesvalles Albergue has agreed to change our prepaid bookings (yet again), to end of April 2022.

My query is, I remember they don’t supply blankets, but that is the only night that we will probably need more than just a sleep sheet. We are reluctant to carry sleeping bags for probably one night’s use only. I can’t remember if they have heating on cold nights. End of April could be hot or cold.

Do you think we’ll have a comfortable night with just sleep sheets and wearing our clothes to bed? What was Roncesvalles albergue like for you in April?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was happy to have a sleeping bag in other albergues as well. And that was May/June 2019.
A good down bag will weigh little more than a liner, but they are pricey. If you are confident that the problem will only be roncesvalles, book a room at the adjacent hotel, that will likely cost less than a sleeping bag and provide blankets.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Lowveld Ramblers were looking forward to their camino in May this year, but sadly we have had to postpone, yet again (like many others), and Roncesvalles Albergue has agreed to change our prepaid bookings (yet again), to end of April 2022.

My query is, I remember they don’t supply blankets, but that is the only night that we will probably need more than just a sleep sheet. We are reluctant to carry sleeping bags for probably one night’s use only. I can’t remember if they have heating on cold nights. End of April could be hot or cold.

Do you think we’ll have a comfortable night with just sleep sheets and wearing our clothes to bed? What was Roncesvalles albergue like for you in April?
I always have started the Frances in mid April and it has never been hot in the Roncesvalles albergue. I take a cheap, lightweight sleeping bag and have never regretted it...all the way to Santiago.

I remember they don’t supply blankets, but that is the only night that we will probably need more than just a sleep sheet. We are reluctant to carry sleeping bags for probably one night’s use only.
It's possible that post Covid protocols might eliminate blankets in some albergues - I don't know if you can always count on them.
If you can get hold of inexpensive lightweight down throw blankets like those that are sold at Costco in the US (and I believe in other countries too) you can cut them in half so that they are just the size to tuck into a liner. The weight of the half blanket is only about 225 grams.

I actually have this tiny down blanket - it's more expensive, but the quality is a bit better. I bought mine before I knew about the Costco down blankets.

Being cold all night is miserable. If you get a cold spell, you might need it until pamplona.. and in other mountain areas. Why not consider a synthetic comforter/blanket. Lighter than a sleeping bag, but additional protection.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It's possible that post Covid protocols might eliminate blankets in some albergues - I don't know if you can always count on them.
If you can get hold of inexpensive lightweight down throw blankets like those that are sold at Costco in the US (and I believe in other countries too) you can cut them in half so that they are just the size to tuck into a liner. The weight of the half blanket is only about 225 grams.

I actually have this tiny down blanket - it's more expensive, but the quality is a bit better. I bought mine before I knew about the Costco down blankets.
That's an interesting use for a throw. The last time I went away for a long weekend (Sept 2019!) it was to a draughty cottage and we were all advise to bring a throw or fleece blanket "just in case". I took my Costco and found I could wear it like a shawl, holding it in place with the existing KAP snaps and was as snug as a bug in the proverbial . . .
I "shrugged" off (see what I did there?) suggestions that I looked like a Maori warrior - I was warm!

1612482900922.png

That's an interesting use for a throw. The last time I went away for a long weekend (Sept 2019!) it was to a draughty cottage and we were all advise to bring a throw or fleece blanket "just in case". I took my Costco and found I could wear it like a shawl, holding it in place with the existing KAP snaps and was as snug as a bug in the proverbial . . .
I "shrugged" off (see what I did there?) suggestions that I looked like a Maori warrior - I was warm!

View attachment 92867
Jeff, I hope you threw on some clothing under your throw.🤭

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I was under the knowledge that Spain was not allowing people into the country until the end of summer and even that is a query?

I was under the knowledge that Spain was not allowing people into the country until the end of summer and even that is a query?
They are planning for April 2022.
Roncesvalles Albergue has agreed to change our prepaid bookings (yet again), to end of April 2022.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe you could bring some packets of body heaters. I'm thinking of those envelopes filled with iron filings that you open up to cause the iron to rust giving off heat. They are cheap enough to buy a few to see how they do with a sleep sheet on a chilly night at home.

Seeing as there are a bunch of you you may want to buy in bulk.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
book a room at the adjacent hotel

Not an option on our budget unfortunately, especially as we've already paid for the albergue, but thanks for the idea. We might go with taking a small lightweight cheap synthetic fleece blanket each, which we could just leave at another albergue further along the trail, if we find we don't need them anymore.

€60,-
Not an option on our budget unfortunately, especially as we've already paid for the albergue, but thanks for the idea. We might go with taking a small lightweight cheap synthetic fleece blanket each, which we could just leave at another albergue further along the trail, if we find we don't need them anymore.
If budget is an issue, down sleeping bags are likely of the table. Theres some cheap bags on amazon and sometimes sold at discount markets (Lidl, Aldi for germany, don't know if theres something alike at your place). While more than double the weight on what i am using at around 600-700g, they cost like 20€ and if you are not super weight-concious are still within limits.

if you are not super weight-concious

Yep, we are definitely super weight conscious :eek:. This is mainly because we have to take our packs on the plane into the cabin with us, otherwise we have to pay another arm and a leg for baggage in the hold on our long haul flights 🥺. Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated!

Yep, we are definitely super weight conscious :eek:. This is mainly because we have to take our packs on the plane into the cabin with us, otherwise we have to pay another arm and a leg for baggage in the hold on our long haul flights 🥺. Thanks for your thoughts, much appreciated!
Is there a weight limit for your carry-on luggage? If you need to, you could check one group bag with the extras that you can't take on board, and split the cost. I would get an old duffel bag or something that you could dispose of easily. Of course, you would have to purchase another inexpensive bag before returning home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
you could check one group bag with the extras that you can't take on board, and split the cost.
Great idea, thank you!

If carryon limits are a problem, i guess the rest of your pack might be to heavy to start with. i guess most airlines limit at 8kg or above, but of course, yours might be different.
Even if thats the case, theres ways to get around this. Wear the heavy stuff on your body, the light in the backpack... Or just bite the bullet and buy 1x20kg checked luggage as recommended. Whatever works for you :)

I have used the Costco down throw, plus a liner, on 2 Caminos. I definitely needed it in Roncesvalles, in early May.

I would not count on getting blankets in albergues, unless you are booking privates.
Also, the elevation and temperature changes, so you may be hot one day and freezing the next.
I almost FROZE in Santo Domingo one June!

My query is, I remember they don’t supply blankets, but that is the only night that we will probably need more than just a sleep sheet. We are reluctant to carry sleeping bags for probably one night’s use only. I can’t remember if they have heating on cold nights. End of April could be

I'd be taking a light weight sleeping bag all the way to Santiago. You'll surely need one for more than a few nights
Have fun I hope it happens for you in 2022

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.