• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles/ albergue or youth hostel ?

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
Will hopefully start in Roncesvalles in April. The albergue looks quite huge and anonymous. So my preference goes towards staying the night in the youth hostel. Do any of you have specific recommendations about these two places?
Still absorbing the wealth of info here on this forum. And apologies that the only thing I can do right now is asking questions instead of answering them....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I didn't know there was a hostal in Roncevalles... there is?

The alburgue "is" huge.. but it was a fun experience, I thought.

cheers Annie!
Yes , according from what I read there was and albergue juvenil but government of Navarra seems to be transforming it into a regular albergue. Was closed in 2010 , so it seems , for redecoration.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On my very first Camino, in 2000, the big albergue was not open, and all peregrinos stayed in the youth hostel (if you continue walking straight ahead when you get to the pilgrim's office, it's a big building in that complex). It's been closed the other times I've been there. The main difference is that the youth hostel had rooms rather than the open floor plan of the albergue. So, there's a chance you won't have snorers in the youth hostel, but if you sleep in the albergue someone somewhere will be snoring within earshot. I also think that there were regular, not bunk beds, but my memory is a little fuzzy, and of course that may change if it's reopened.

I agree that although the albergue is big and like an airplane hangar, there are plenty of opportunities for interaction -- down in the basement, there's seating and tables, and people are always hanging around outside in the nice weather. I think I'd just go where the people I've struck up a conversation with are going.

Buen camino, Laurie

When I walked last September, there was no youth hostel. Just the big albergue in the monastery plus two hotels. There is a new albergue being built next to the monastery but there is no way it will be ready until, maybe, the latter end of 2011. I think the motto of the albergue is 'you are now a pilgrim so you shall learn to suffer'. Nevertheless it was a unique experience, in it's special way. The albergue does not supply meals but you can prebook at one of the hotels for a very good menu del dia for 9 euros.

Thank you Laurie and camino-david. Yes David, the new albergue would most probably be the old youth hostel that they are transforming.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, yes the albergue is very big. I think it can acommadate 120 people in one big dormitry. When busy be prepared to wait in line to get a shower. But its a lovely place to stay, it has a nice mystical feel to it.

According to the Mundicamino website (http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/ficha ... ncesvalles) the youth hostel is open and has 76 beds. It's available for pilgrims under 25 years of age.

If you don't want to stay in either the albergue or youth hostel, there are two small hotels in Roncesvalles, Hostal Restaurante Sabina and Hostal La Posada. These cost around 40euros per night, and both offer pilgrim menu dinners to all pilgrims for around 9euros. Have to say I've always stayed in La Posada as I prefer a good nights sleep at the beginning of the Camino.

Trudy

And of course there is always the possibility to walk on to Burguete, only 3 Km further on. I slept there october 2008 (no albergue but an hostal), and didn't meet any pilgrim over there.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cheers everyone! Yes Trudy, I decided to book a room in La Posada for exactly the same reason as you stated.

Carli, Its a few years ago but we continued to Burgette also after a short break in Roncesvalles.
We were ""drenched"" and stayed in a Casa Rural on the right side of main road.

**If it has a name we would love to receive as the MMDD has long gone.No 25 rings a bell

They gave us a warm fire, paper for the boots in front of fire, coffee and the best bathroom we encountered all the way to Finasterre.A lovely family and well worth the stay.
Any knowledge of name is appreciated.
Buen Camino to all,
David

I stayed last October in a hostal or casa rural in Burguete opposit to the hotel. The name was Juandebua or something like that. Nice room with a shared bathroom in the hall cost 16 euro. breakfast 3 euro. Did not have to queue up for something to eat in the morning. Nice place, nice food in the hotel across the street. phonenr. 948 760 078. The lady took my wet clothes to dry too.
ranth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Roncesvalle may be huge and barn like but it is well set up and modern inside, while still retaining the sense of history. Would not have missed it. And if you can't cope with the snoring here, it ain't going to get any better along the way!

I'm very well aware of the fact that I will encounter snorers ( or myself snoring ) on the way. It is just that , from what I read here on the forum, I will more likely prefer smaller albergues and smaller towns. And for my first night on my first Camino I really want a good nights sleep...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Many thanks Carli for the effort.
We are off to Vezelay in July and finish in Pamplona.

Best wishes to you for 2011,
David

Re: youth hostel Roncesvalles

Trudy wrote:
It's available for pilgrims under 25 years of age.
That is not true: I am an old man of 75 yrs and on my travels in Europe and also in the USA I slept mostly in youth hostels. As a so called "Senior" one has to pay only a slightly higher price.
"Seniors" - provided they have a membership card of the international youth hostel organisation - are entitled to stay in youth hostels all over the world :D apart from Bavaria. :(
Here is the web site of the youth hostel Roncesvalles
Buen Camino
Jochen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SabineP said:
I'm very well aware of the fact that I will encounter snorers ( or myself snoring ) on the way. It is just that , from what I read here on the forum, I will more likely prefer smaller albergues and smaller towns. And for my first night on my first Camino I really want a good nights sleep...
One of the worst night's snoring experience (according to my husband - I use earplugs so don't ever hear a thing), was in a small room for 4 (us two and another couple). They apparently snored in competition all night and the walls reverberated. In fact, if one is sleeping in a larger dorm, you have a better chance of not being right near the person. I prefer dorms for about 20 people best. Having said that, sometimes one is soooo glad just to find a bed, that it really doesn't matter where you sleep! Anne

I loved the albergue in Roncesvalles! Loved to sleep among 100s of pilgrims in the church-like room, all off on a big adventure. Had the best sleep (earplugs), and the hospitalieros were great! One of them - a group of volunteers from Holland - told me the next morning in the midst of the chaos of everyone trying to find their shoes to remember to take it slow! Enjoy!

It was a great start!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back