• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles albergue reservations

bethbakke

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan on going in 2019
I hope someone can help me. I have tried to book 4 beds at the Roncesvalles albergue online for May 17 and it looks like it won't take my reservation. My Spanish is not good so I may be missing something. Thank you in advance. Beth from North Dakota

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi @bethbakke, please use the English version of the website:
https://alberguederoncesvalles.com/en/book-your-bed/

Then tell us at which point of the online reservation process you get stuck. This will make it easier to see whether we can help.

FWIW, I have no problems with starting a booking for 4 people on May 17 up to the point where I would need to enter my credit card details and pay.

I was able to get through the booking in English and then there was a message in Spanish,"No se puede realization la operation. Numero de Perdido repitido." I still hit the continue button and got thos message, "no se ha realized la compra. No hay Reserva activa."

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Update: it went through this time.
Great to hear it! Buen Camino to all four of you!

Let me add a piece of general information because there is something new this year on the webpage of the pilgrim albergue of Roncesvalles: In addition to the usual options (bed, dinner, breakfast, picnic) you can now also book backpack transport to Zubiri, Larrasoaña and Pamplona.

Options Roncesvalles.jpg

Is it now a requirement to book a bed for Roncevalles, or can you just show up? I’m walking at the beginning of July. Thanks in advance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is it now a requirement to book a bed for Roncevalles, or can you just show up? I’m walking at the beginning of July. Thanks in advance.
You can just show up. But in summer you may then find the albergue is full. Up to you. I generally prefer not to book in advance but I probably will for myself and a friend in SJPDP and Roncesvalles this summer.

You can just show up. But in summer you may then find the albergue is full. Up to you. I generally prefer not to book in advance but I probably will for myself and a friend in SJPDP and Roncesvalles this summer.
Thanks. I have booked my first night in SJPDP but my plan was to continue onto Espinal as my first stop from SJPDP, but wanted the option to stop at Roncevalles if needs be.

You can just show up. But in summer you may then find the albergue is full. Up to you. I generally prefer not to book in advanc
Actually, July is not that busy on the Camino Francés until you reach Galicia.
And while Roncesvalles does have a pre booking system I believe that they also hold beds back for those without reservations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
From my experience the public albergues like the one in Roncesvalles keep most of their beds on a first come basis. Maybe someone else has % numbers. I was there last September and just showed up with no trouble at all. It does fill up though...so late arrivals end up going to Burgete.

No, not necessary in July.

Be aware of the San Fermin festivities in Pamplona (running of the bulls) which are from July 6th through July 15th. During this period in Pamplona most albergues are closed, hostels and hotels are prebooked months before and the prices are exorbitant high!
And many, many drunk people in the streets ...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will be in Roncesvalles this 2nd or 3rd April.. shouldn't be a problem NOT to prebook? 🤞

Thanks. I have booked my first night in SJPDP but my plan was to continue onto Espinal as my first stop from SJPDP, but wanted the option to stop at Roncevalles if needs be.
Unless you are a REALLY strong hiker, you may want to consider the 3 1/-4 hour walk to Orisson on day 1, then go on to Espinal on day 2. A triathalon athlete could barely walk for 3 days. Different sports use different muscle groups. To travel from SJPD to Espinal in 1 day is very difficult.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Unless you are a REALLY strong hiker, you may want to consider the 3 1/-4 hour walk to Orisson on day 1, then go on to Espinal on day 2. A triathalon athlete could barely walk for 3 days. Different sports use different muscle groups. To travel from SJPD to Espinal in 1 day is very difficult.
I live close to all the mountains in Scotland and hike regularly and do an average of 6.5km per hour uphill so not really concerned about the distance from SJPD to Espinal, but wanted the option to stop at Roncevalles without having to book accommodation. I thought SJPD to Orisson was only a 2hr walk as many youtube videos have people doing it in that time. But thanks for your advice.

as stated you can show up.
When I walked in 2022 I arrived to Roncesvalles on May 23rd. I had a reservation made pre-Camino and some of the Pilgrims I just met the previous night at Orisson did not. It took a bit of time to get everyone processed... they wound up in "the basement" but a bunk bed each they got.
Ulitmately your decision as to book ahead or not.
Buen Camino!

I live close to all the mountains in Scotland and hike regularly and do an average of 6.5km per hour uphill so not really concerned about the distance from SJPD to Espinal, but wanted the option to stop at Roncevalles without having to book accommodation.

It's quite possible that there will be a bed at the albergue in Roncesvalles when you arrive. They don't allow all of their beds to be booked in advance.
I thought SJPD to Orisson was only a 2hr walk as many youtube videos have people doing it in that time
You probably can walk to Orisson in about 2 hours. It's about 8 km from SJPdP.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I wish I read this thread sooner. I booked my stay at Roncesvalles last night. The booking site states that pre-booking is allowed for the first floor. I assume they do first-come, first served for the rest?

The idea of staying at Orisson and then walking the next stage to Espinal is intriguing. Has anybody tried that? My only concern is that a 3-4 hr day seems a bit short to me especially at the start of your journey when you're all amped up and ready to walk. Has anyone arrived in SJPP, gotten their passport and then head out straight away to Orisson? Time wise, just wondering if that was possible seeing as my flight into Biarritz doesn't land until 3pm.

The idea of staying at Orisson and then walking the next stage to Espinal is intriguing. Has anybody tried that? My only concern is that a 3-4 hr day seems a bit short to me especially at the start of your journey when you're all amped up and ready to walk.

Yes, I've stayed at Orisson the first night and Espinal the second.
When walking "only" to Orisson the first day I relax in SJPdP until around 11 am before I start walking. Then I take my time walking up to Orisson. You are in the beautiful Pyrenees - take your time and enjoy it!
Has anyone arrived in SJPP, gotten their passport and then head out straight away to Orisson? Time wise, just wondering if that was possible seeing as my flight into Biarritz doesn't land until 3pm.
If your plane lands at 3pm you don't have time to travel to SJPdP, stop at the Pilgrim Office and walk to Orisson to arrive by 6pm as required.

My husband and I are planning our first Camino the French way in late august 2023. I have been trying to book the Roncesvalles albergue with no success. Multiple times I have gone as far as putting in my payment information and get a message that the transaction did not process. After checking with my bank they state nothing has hit the bank, that’s in USA. I have sent a message to the albergue 2 times and have not received an email back. I was afraid it was closed but it doesn’t sound like it. So, it is open now?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@condyfesker, yes, the albergue is open all year. Late august is a very, very busy period so making a reservation certainly is a must.
I have often read here about paying problems with creditcards from the USA. Something has to be adjusted to make them compatible with European creditcards. I do not know what or how, but your bank can solve this problem.

I have often read here about paying problems with creditcards from the USA. Something has to be adjusted to make them compatible with European creditcards.
Yes, one can see this when trying to make the payment (see screenshot). The credit card must be enabled for a specific secure payment process called Visa Secure, Mastercard ID Check or American Express SafeKey. Credit cards issued in Europe have this function automatically enabled and websites such as the Roncesvalles one will accept only payment by credit cards with this function. This issue can only be solved by your own bank or other organisation that issued your credit card in the USA.

1679932207996.png

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back