• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Albergue: Booking, Availability, and COVID Restrictions

Anto

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017 SJPDP to Pamplona
Hi everyone
I have a couple of questions re the Albergue in Roncesvalles ,have searched the forum and threads go back to 2017 so wondering about the present state of play;
1. From what I can see you don't have to book a bed but would it be advisable to do so for the coming May.
2.When booking is there a website you use and what is it ,if its just by email what is the address.
3.Just out of interest is it still run by a religious order or is it state or community run.
4.How many beds are likely to be available that time of year and what changes has covid made to the operation of the hostel.
5.Is there any limit on the arrival time at the hostel.

Apologies if I am slow responding to your replies as I can only dip in and out to the forum at the moment

A selection of Camino Jewellery
1. From what I can see you don't have to book a bed but would it be advisable to do so for the coming May.
The Easter weekend and the first two weeks of May and the first two weeks of September are the busiest pilgrimage periods of the year at Roncesvalles. Inevitably, pilgrims who have neither booked nor arrived early enough during the day to obtain a "walk-in bed" have been and will be turned away and need to either walk on or get a taxi to find accommodation elsewhere.
This happens whenever the number of arriving pilgrims is larger than the number of available beds.

2.When booking is there a website you use and what is it ,if its just by email what is the address.
The booking system of the Roncesvalles albergue is here: https://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/index.php?idioma=2 (in English)

3.Just out of interest is it still run by a religious order or is it state or community run.
No religious order but a small number of priests live there who serve Roncesvalles and neighbouring communities. The Roncesvalles complex belongs to the Diocese of Pamplona. During the main season from March to October, the pilgrim albergue is managed by volunteers from the Netherlands, under the supervision of Spanish staff employed by the Church.

4.How many beds are likely to be available that time of year and what changes has covid made to the operation of the hostel.
Maximum number of albergue beds is around 180. How many of these albergue beds will be available in May 2022 will depend on the general public health situation and on government regulations at the time.
Details are on https://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com.

You might find gronze.com useful for your planning gronze.com. Here is the link to Albergue de Peregrinos de Roncesvalles.

I think it would be a good idea to make a reservation for the night. I have not included the breakfast, and hiked to the next town where there is a cafe. I did include dinner ... you can attend the pilgrim mass either before or after dinner dependent on your seating time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is prudent to book in Roncesvalles and it is vital to reserve in Orisson if you are taking the route in two parts...
Many accounts of bottlenecks at some periods where also the adjoning private solutions are filling up nearby, and people have to take taxis as far away as Zubiri to get a bunk for the night...
Roncesvalles is the only Albergue I have had to book in advance and it was a blessing when coming over on a day that started in sunshine and ended in snow at the last day of April....

If you are reserving a bed, include dinner. When I stayed there in early May 2019, it was packed. I did not have a reservation, but got a bed. I paid for dinner and breakfast at the same time. I was glad I did, as the Roncesvalles albergue had booked all of the sittings at the local restaurants. I ran into a number of people who had not booked a meal, and when they wanted to eat, were told that the only option was vending machines. When you check into the albergue, if you ordered a meal, you will get a ticket for one of the restaurants and a specific meal time. By the way, the restaurant I was assigned to for dinner and breakfast was very nice and much nicer that the normal pilgrim meals.

Hi everyone
I have a couple of questions re the Albergue in Roncesvalles ,have searched the forum and threads go back to 2017 so wondering about the present state of play;

Apologies if I am slow responding to your replies as I can only dip in and out to the forum at the moment
If Roncesvalles is really busy/full during peak times there is always the option to take the Valcarlos route and stay at the very nice Albergue in Valcarlos itself. It is a fairly easy 3 hour walk from SjPdP and an excellent option if arriving on the noon train at St Jean where lack of beds may also be an issue. You can then walk the next day through/passed Roncesvalles and walk another easy 6.5Km or so to Espinal which has numerous options for food/lodging. This leaves you able to get a two hour head start the next morning on the Roncesvalles stay pilgrim crowd and you can decide 4 hours of walking later if notable choke point at Zubiri has available beds or you can walk on even further towards Pamplona.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might find gronze.com useful for your planning gronze.com. Here is the link to Albergue de Peregrinos de Roncesvalles.

I think it would be a good idea to make a reservation for the night. I have not included the breakfast, and hiked to the next town where there is a cafe. I did include dinner ... you can attend the pilgrim mass either before or after dinner dependent on your seating time.
I always opt for my dinner choice at La Posada, you will eat at table for 8 and get to strike up a nice conversation about your first or second day on the Camino.

I always opt for my dinner choice at La Posada, you will eat at table for 8 and get to strike up a nice conversation about your first or second day on the Camino.
Definitely choose La Posada.
My second stay at Roncesvalles I had dinner at the other restaurant - Casa Sabina?
They had tables for four, and the other three at my table spoke only French, so I couldn't really participate in the conversation. The odds of having someone to talk to at your table at La Posada is better. 😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Or at the new Auberge Borda, which is about one km past Orisson.
They are accepting reservations via email right now.

Thank you. I wanted to mention this somewhat new albergue also but you beat me to it. I will add that it appears that La Borda is much, much, much better at responding to reservation requests than Orisson.

If you want to attend Mass and the Pilgrims' blessing, make dinner reservation at 7:00. Mass time may have changed, so maybe inquire when you make your reservation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you are reserving a bed, include dinner. When I stayed there in early May 2019, it was packed. I did not have a reservation, but got a bed. I paid for dinner and breakfast at the same time. I was glad I did, as the Roncesvalles albergue had booked all of the sittings at the local restaurants. I ran into a number of people who had not booked a meal, and when they wanted to eat, were told that the only option was vending machines. When you check into the albergue, if you ordered a meal, you will get a ticket for one of the restaurants and a specific meal time. By the way, the restaurant I was assigned to for dinner and breakfast was very nice and much nicer that the normal pilgrim meals.
If I’m staying at Hotel Roncesvalles do you think I need to reserve dinner ahead of time?

If I’m staying at Hotel Roncesvalles do you think I need to reserve dinner ahead of time?
Yes. Do reserve because their dining room is popular with regular tourists besides pilgrims.Their bar also has good food. Buen camino.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you. I wanted to mention this somewhat new albergue also but you beat me to it. I will add that it appears that La Borda is much, much, much better at responding to reservation requests than Orisson.
They are also on booking.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All,

Thank you so much for your replies . I will take all that you have said on board . I have walked this section of the Camino Frances before but stayed in Burgette and always regretted not staying at the monastery in Roncesvalles due to its Camino history that I didn't know much of at the time but know some more now .
Someone mentioned the pilgrim mass at 7.00 pm and that would interest me as well .
I am unexpectedly going with my son in May (covid permitting) only as far as Pamplona so a short stint but really looking forward to it

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your replies . I will take all that you have said on board . I have walked this section of the Camino Frances before but stayed in Burgette and always regretted not staying at the monastery in Roncesvalles due to its Camino history that I didn't know much of at the time but know some more now .
Someone mentioned the pilgrim mass at 7.00 pm and that would interest me as well .
I am unexpectedly going with my son in May (covid permitting) only as far as Pamplona so a short stint but really looking forward to it
Staying in Roncesvalles in 2017, there was a local guide who gave a tour of the monastery and the vaults and it was fascinating, I don't know if such a tour is still available but well worth checking out when you arrive.

Hi All,

I believe the Mass was at 8:00. So reserving the 7:00 dinner allows you to attend Mass afterwards.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Always book at Roncesvalles and include the evening meal but make sure you also pay for it online. I booked for 2019 and was confirmed by email. When I arrived and said I had a booking and showed them the email, I was told that I has not booked as I had not paid. Luckily there was enough room.

Under the conditions prior to Covid it was possible to reserve 60 of the 180 beds and the remainder were kept for walk-in pilgrims.

I tried to make a reservation for Roncesvalles during February 2019 for the second week of May 2019 but all beds able to be reserved were already taken. I also tried to reserve at Orisson but never got a reply.

I decided to go anyway. In SJPdP I heard about the shuttle and ended up spending two nights in SJPdP. On my first walking day I walked up past Orisson to the statue of the Snow Virgin and caught the shuttle back to SJPdP in the afternoon, for my second night there.

The next morning I caught the shuttle back to the statue and walked from there to Roncesvalles. This put me well ahead of most other pilgrims and I had no trouble getting a bed at Roncesvalles.

Many people recommend not pre-purchasing breakfast at Roncesvalles and based on value for money I would agree as the breakfast was very poor. However, over breakfast I met a delightful Irish couple who I reconnected with later in my Camino and so serendipity rules on the Camino.

Now Zubiri is a different matter. I just assumed that I would get a bed. I was one of the last to leave Roncesvalles (and then spent time trying to get breakfast) and so I was possibly one of the last pilgrims to leave Roncesvalles.

Fortunately the rain was bucketing down that day and I managed to pass a large number of people along the way and scored the second to last bed in Zubiri.

Moral: If you are worried about getting a bed in Roncesvalles then you should also worry about that in Zubiri but if you are prepared to allow the Camino to provide then sometimes it does.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Now Zubiri is a different matter.
So true. In mid-April 2015 I arrived at the municipal and had no problem getting a bed (although it was my worst experience that year). In mid-April 2017 when walking the Frances again, we had pre-booked a new private albergue a little further away. We stopped in Zubiri for a snack and noticed a large bus parked in town and loaded up with many pilgrims. The driver was hoisting all the backpacks in the hold and they were being taken to a different location as no beds were available.

I also never knew you could reserve beds at the muni in Roncesvalles, but having walked the more peaceful route to Valcarlos both years, we arrived in town before those coming from the Napoleon, so it was no problem getting our beds without reservations.

Last edited:
Staying in Roncesvalles in 2017, there was a local guide who gave a tour of the monastery and the vaults and it was fascinating, I don't know if such a tour is still available but well worth checking out when you arrive.
Don Valentin, one of the priests in residence, used to do a tour of the church and if you were lucky, the church tower too. Around 6pm, before dinner and/or mass. I hope he is still there, as I'm looking forward to my third volunteering time in June this year, at magic Roncesvalles! If you're there when I am, you are invited to join the 'stretch and relax' Yoga for Pilgrims I offer every day. :)

Hi everyone

My sister and I started 9/12/19 and were told don’t book any accommodations, just go with the flow and enjoy. Well, 8 nights later we had to very sadly end our Camino as there were no available.We were extremely creative during those 8 days. However, we deemed it unsafe to just sleep in the plazas. So, after all that planning and preparation, we ended our Camino.
I still consider coming back to finish, but only with reservations.
Better to be safe, than sorry.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Don Valentin, one of the priests in residence, used to do a tour of the church and if you were lucky, the church tower too. Around 6pm, before dinner and/or mass. I hope he is still there, as I'm looking forward to my third volunteering time in June this year, at magic Roncesvalles! If you're there when I am, you are invited to join the 'stretch and relax' Yoga for Pilgrims I offer every day. :)
Hello 👋
I will be coming to the monastery on 17/4/22. I would love to do the tour then the mass. Is the priest there to do the tour this year? Also is it best to take dinner at 7pm or 8.30pm if you are doing the tour and mass? Many thanks in advance. Valerie

Hello 👋
I will be coming to the monastery on 17/4/22. I would love to do the tour then the mass. Is the priest there to do the tour this year? Also is it best to take dinner at 7pm or 8.30pm if you are doing the tour and mass? Many thanks in advance. Valerie
I believe the 7pm dinner is better for the 8pm mass (unless the schedule changed). Don't know about the tour - but someone above said it is at 6pm - so again the 7pm dinner would work better.

Hello 👋

Don Valentin certainly is still there, you will see him during the Mass.
But you will be arriving on a Sunday. On Sundays the Mass is at 6 pm, and there will be no tour unfortunately. The dinner at 7 pm is OK for you, as the Pilgrim's Mass takes shorter than an hour.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don Valentin certainly is still there, you will see him during the Mass.
But you will be arriving on a Sunday. On Sundays the Mass is at 6 pm, and there will be no tour unfortunately. The dinner at 7 pm is OK for you, as the Pilgrim's Mass takes shorter than an hour.
Do you know what time the mass will be on 2nd May 2022? It's a Monday so I thought it might also be the May public holiday in Spain.

Do you know what time the mass will be on 2nd May 2022? It's a Monday so I thought it might also be the May public holiday in Spain.
On weekdays it is always at 8 pm. I do not suppose it will be different that day, but on arrival ask the hospitaleros in the albergue.

What time is mass on Saturdays (6pm or 8pm)? I will be there on May 27.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back