• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles albergues

marie12

I will be starting the Camino in Roncesvalles on June 15:). Based on the trains and buses I will be taking there, I wil not be able to get to Roncesvalles until 17:10. Do I need to worry about finding a place to stay in Roncesvalles? Will I be allowed to stay in an albergue since I didn't walk to Roncesvalles? Should I try to make a pension reservation now to make sure I have a place to stay?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
marie12 said:
I will be starting the Camino in Roncesvalles on June 15:). Based on the trains and buses I will be taking there, I wil not be able to get to Roncesvalles until 17:10. Do I need to worry about finding a place to stay in Roncesvalles? Will I be allowed to stay in an albergue since I didn't walk to Roncesvalles? Should I try to make a pension reservation now to make sure I have a place to stay?

Marie,

The new albergue at the Roncevalles monastery has more than 180 individual bunks. You can also reserve in advance a space. See this web site for more information http://www.roncesvalles.es.
Many pilgrims begin their Camino at Roncevalles so there is no problem about walking to the abbey in order to stay. Credentials or Pilgrim Passports are also issued there if you need one.

Other types of accommodation available at Roncevalles is also listed on their web page.

Since June is a busy month on the Camino perhaps it would be best for you to reserve in advance.
With a reservation your journey to Roncevalles will be more relaxed.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Thanks for the info, Margaret.

I was looking on the site you gave me underneath services. I didn't see an abbey listed as a place to stay ... is the REFUGE "Itzandegia" the same thing?

I didn't realize it was possible to make reservations ahead of time. I think that would make me much more relaxed. The refuge I mentioned didn't have a website. Did I miss where I was supposed to click to make a reservation?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
marie12 said:
Thanks for the info, Margaret.

I was looking on the site you gave me underneath services. I didn't see an abbey listed as a place to stay ... is the REFUGE "Itzandegia" the same thing?

I didn't realize it was possible to make reservations ahead of time. I think that would make me much more relaxed. The refuge I mentioned didn't have a website. Did I miss where I was supposed to click to make a reservation?

Marie,

Yes. The REFUGE "Itzandegia" was the abbey albergue.

To be exact this Refuge info is about the OLD albergue at the abbey. As of last year there is a splendid NEW albergue in the the old youth hostel space!! For pictures and more info regarding reservations see the Eroski web page http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-itzandegia.

Margaret

If you prefer a private room your first night you can reserve rooms at La Posada. I think a double is 59 euros. Not sure about a single but maybe you could share with another pilgrim.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hostel Availability: All year. From November to March is moved to the collegiate shelter about 18 squares
Price: 10 euros
Total places: 183
Room Description: Three floors with 72 seats in the first two and 39 in the last
Reserve a place in the hostel: Yes, up to a maximum quota of 60 places
Admission requirements for access to the hostel: Being a pilgrim with card
Opening hours: 13:00 (From 10 can be sealed)
Closing time: 22:00
Possibility to leave or not when you close: No
You do need a credential to stay in the albergues, but you can get one on the spot. The La Posada restaurant requires a reservation for the pilgrim menu, so visit them right after you check into the albergue. You can get a baseline experience on the menu; in my opinion, most will be better later! This first one, however, will give you an opportunity to meet a number of fellow pilgrims with whom you will be walking for a while, so the sacrifice in quality is a minor distraction. Many will be quite filled with the exhilaration of the Pyrenees climb, and an equal number will be in considerable pain! You may feel a bit like an outsider, not having shared that experience, but you will have your first opportunity to learn how to fit into a crowd of strangers, a skill that you will use repeatedly over the next month. While you will often find familiar faces, groups come and go. Adapting to that change is one part of a camino.

Have fun!

Okay fellow peregrinos...I need a little help here. I sent email to Roncevalles albergue asking if I needed reservations for mid-May. Got a reply...in spanish...uh..I can figure out that yes I need a reservation...and it's 10eu...but not understanding how to get them the money. Looks like they have given me some numbers for a bank.

Número de cuenta reserva peregrinos:

BANCO SANTANDER

0049 2814 95 2894002454

IBAN ES7300492814952894002454

SWIFT BSCHESMMXXX

Titular: REAL COLEGIATA DE RONCESVALLES

Could someone help me out, please? What do I need to do.

THANKS!
Rick

Hi, sanddreamer,

You're right that the albergue is telling you that if you want to make a reservation you have to make a bank transfer. This is a very simple process if you have a bank account in a European bank, but it is a very complicated (and expensive, often) process if you have a US or Canadian bank account. Some more info on this thread: miscellaneous-topics/topic16703.html

I have stayed in the Roncesvalles albergue on numerous occasions and have never had a reservation, so I think you will be fine without one in mid-May. I just checked their page on the Eroski guide and it says that of the 183 total beds, a maximum of 60 will be given out on a reservation basis.

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Laurie, Think I will just take my chances on staying there without a reservation. I appreciate your reply. :)

FYI - the Albergue in Roncevalles will accept PayPal for reservations. Costs an extra euro. Total is 11 euros. Much simpler than bank transfer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Merit which way are you walking via oreson or varcalles

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Hi Larry,
I'm hoping to take the Napoleon Route (all been well) from SJPDP so that would be through Orrison.
Which path are you and Des intending to walk?

I hope we meet in SJPDP for tea maybe?

Cheers,
Marie

We have not decided on route yet - will depend on teh weather - but we are sending our bags to Ronscevalles we are not going to carry them the first day - there is plenty of time for that after day 1 the cost is Euro8 a bag so worth the chance to get our legs moving before carrying the packs - mind you we are already walking with them now :)

Thanks Larry for the idea of transporting packs ahead to Roncesvalles... that actually sounds like a really smart thing to do going over the Pyrenees.
Good on you and Des for walking with your packs in preparation, I must admit, I have been a bit idle with carrying my pack - I aim to take only 6kg at most, could do with less weight so I will try to be a minimalist. I have however been climbing the hills around Alice Springs in preparation for the Camino. I will follow your example and start walking with my pack this weekend :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's really worth walking the extra 3 km to stay in Burguete. All sorts of Casa Rurales which are quite reasonable. 30-35 Euros for a double and all the hot water you want for a shower! Great restaurant by the church with a Pilgrim's menu too.

It's really worth walking the extra 3 km to stay in Burguete. All sorts of Casa Rurales which are quite reasonable. 30-35 Euros for a double and all the hot water you want for a shower! Great restaurant by the church with a Pilgrim's menu too.

Oh wow! Hostal Burguete looks like a really lovely place to stay, thank you for introducing this to me although I've made a reservation with Irugoienea only yesterday and the price includes a single room (towel & linen included), dinner and breakfast for 39 euros. Plus they have a complementary pilgrim shuttle bus to and from Roncesvalles since their Albergue is about 5km out. They give a number to call them on once you've arrived in Roncesvalles for pickup. And they're providing me a veggie dinner too.
I know I'll definitely be seeking a nice bed and food when I get to Roncesvalles.
Everything else after Roncesvalles I will discover as I go, just wanted a good rest after crossing the Pyrenees... I know I'll be knackered.
#CaminoCrazy# :cool:

We booked at the monastery so we are like you after Roncesvalles we have no plans except we would love some tips on places that are different to stay on on the trip like old castles monasteries etc just places that are different so we can plan to stay as we want to make it enjoabl

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum mobile app

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
... we would love some tips on places that are different to stay on on the trip like old castles monasteries etc just places that are different ...

Larry,

Look at this 2013 Forum thread where others and I discuss and list monasteries along the Camino Frances which host pilgrims.

Happy planning and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

My stamp shows I stayed at Pedroarena. It was spotless, quiet, and a great breakfast and right next to the clinic in case you already had blisters!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, sanddreamer,

You're right that the albergue is telling you that if you want to make a reservation you have to make a bank transfer. This is a very simple process if you have a bank account in a European bank, but it is a very complicated (and expensive, often) process if you have a US or Canadian bank account. Some more info on this thread: miscellaneous-topics/topic16703.html

I have stayed in the Roncesvalles albergue on numerous occasions and have never had a reservation, so I think you will be fine without one in mid-May. I just checked their page on the Eroski guide and it says that of the 183 total beds, a maximum of 60 will be given out on a reservation basis.

Buen camino, Laurie
We stayed there without reservation in Sept which was also really busy. No problems getting a bed, and I dont think many people booked. At that stage we didn't know that booking was a possibility anyway.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back