• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles and Much Much More

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Roncesvalles and Roland, Roland and Roncesvalles with the Camino forever intertwined as our hero appears in Roncesvalles in churches all along the Camino Francés, the Le Puy Camino, and Vezelay. Roland already featured in the chronicles of the city Najera for there he fought and conquered the Saracen paladin and giant Ferracutus who died from a wound struck in the navel, his only vulnerable spot. Later of course we learn that poor Roland was perfidiously ambushed by the Muslims in a mountain pass near Roncesvalles, in the rear guard protecting Charlemagne's withdrawal from Spain. We also know that the story was embellished somewhat since there were no Muslims around, only some very mad Basques seeking justice, vengeance, and retribution and they did the deed. His gallant effort is well known, his tragic death, the Oliphant –another relic now missing from Roncesvalles-veteran caminantes may remember seeing it there , and indeed his sword, Durendal. This sword, was a mighty weapon, was presented to him by his uncle (?) Charlemagne-a gift from the angels or perhaps from Helen of Troy (a spurious Italian legend for sure) and continued to have a chequered history of its own. As Roland was dying he wished to prevent Durendal from falling into Muslim (Basque) hands so he attempted to break it by striking the rocks in that mountain pass, creating a huge cleft and is perhaps still embedded there. Others maintain that no, he laid upon it attempting to hide the precious sword allowing a future for storytellers, and others claim that no, it was thrown far away, a mighty effort indeed, landing in… the Lot département in southwestern France at Rocamadour where it may be seen today. Yet another spurious Italian legend states that Roland suffered from strabismus, that is crossed eyes, and that Durendal was in fact stolen by one Rinaldo, a brigand at the head of forty thieves, and was used to kill the evil Saracen enchantress Madama Roversa struck in her only vulnerable spot, a body part not mentioned in polite society. The Camino is infinite, if you will allow it to happen.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If I am recalling correctly Rolland's army had destroyed part of Pamplona before withdrawing back to France, with the tribes of the Basque area following & setup the ambush of the rear guard including Rolland. Like much of the Camino the history of all the Caminos leading to Santiago the history alone is a very good education.

Roncesvalles and Roland, Roland and Roncesvalles with the Camino forever intertwined as our hero appears in Roncesvalles in churches all along the Camino Francés, the Le Puy Camino, and Vezelay. Roland already featured in the chronicles of the city Najera for there he fought and conquered the Saracen paladin and giant Ferracutus who died from a wound struck in the navel, his only vulnerable spot. Later of course we learn that poor Roland was perfidiously ambushed by the Muslims in a mountain pass near Roncesvalles, in the rear guard protecting Charlemagne's withdrawal from Spain. We also know that the story was embellished somewhat since there were no Muslims around, only some very mad Basques seeking justice, vengeance, and retribution and they did the deed. His gallant effort is well known, his tragic death, the Oliphant –another relic now missing from Roncesvalles-veteran caminantes may remember seeing it there , and indeed his sword, Durendal. This sword, was a mighty weapon, was presented to him by his uncle (?) Charlemagne-a gift from the angels or perhaps from Helen of Troy (a spurious Italian legend for sure) and continued to have a chequered history of its own. As Roland was dying he wished to prevent Durendal from falling into Muslim (Basque) hands so he attempted to break it by striking the rocks in that mountain pass, creating a huge cleft and is perhaps still embedded there. Others maintain that no, he laid upon it attempting to hide the precious sword allowing a future for storytellers, and others claim that no, it was thrown far away, a mighty effort indeed, landing in… the Lot département in southwestern France at Rocamadour where it may be seen today. Yet another spurious Italian legend states that Roland suffered from strabismus, that is crossed eyes, and that Durendal was in fact stolen by one Rinaldo, a brigand at the head of forty thieves, and was used to kill the evil Saracen enchantress Madama Roversa struck in her only vulnerable spot, a body part not mentioned in polite society. The Camino is infinite, if you will allow it to happen.

Lets start a rumour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Lets start a rumour.
Great idea! You drop by Rocamadour and pick up Durendal, the nuns there at the hostal have a tall ladder. I'll get to work on the rumor.
Rocamadour-09-%C2%A9-French-Moments.jpg

...Along the Rhine legend has it that Roland didn't die at Roncevalles. He died of unrequited love. After the battle at Roncevalles Roland returned to Rolandseck only to find that Hildegunda, his betrothed had entered a nunnery. Roland hung himself. Another legend suggests he expired in the arms of a priest.

Last edited:
Great idea! You drop by Rocamadour and pick up Durendal, the nuns there at the hostal have a tall ladder. I'll get to work on the rumor.
Rocamadour-09-%C2%A9-French-Moments.jpg
I heard that they had a trampoline

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back