• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Beds - How was it in 2017?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
There was a lot of concern on the Forum early in the year about the reduction in beds at Roncesvalles.

But I didn't see much more about it during the rest of the year.

How did it all turn out?

Were lots of people turned away?
Did they find beds elsewhere?
Did it impact bed availability further along?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How did it all turn out?
According to information from the volunteer group that provides most of the hospitaleros for Roncesvalles throughout the year:

The Roncesvalles albergue had beds available for 257 persons throughout the time of operation, ie March to October (183+34+40=257), not just 183 beds as often claimed here. During winter, the Roncesvalles albergue is open but with a reduced number of beds and no volunteers, it is then run by the staff employed by the collegiate church.

On Good Friday they accommodated 322 pilgrims (the "camp" was still open at the time but was soon to be closed).

First of May long weekend: Pilgrims were regularly sent away. Friday 28/4 and Wednesday 3/5 were the busiest days when SJPdP announced that 400 persons daily were on their way. Roncesvalles albergue organized taxis for those they could not accommodate.

May in general: Roncesvalles albergue was regularly full and pilgrims had to be sent away, for example 40 persons on Saturday 20 May.

First week of September: every day full house and 40-80 pilgrims were sent away nearly every day. Taxis with capacity of 8 passengers constantly coming and going.

Once, a pilgrim presented a letter from his bishop that said that he can sleep in the church but Roncesvalles did not allow him to do so. They did find him a bed, however.

As a matter of policy, only about 60 to 70 albergue beds can be reserved in advance, the rest is first come first served.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There was a lot of concern on the Forum early in the year about the reduction in beds at Roncesvalles.

How did it all turn out?

Roncevalles was incredible. Really well done and well run by Dutch hospitaleros. I was there at the end of September. There was no problem with accommodations being overcrowded as I moved on. I did reserve ahead of time in Roncevalles because I had heard that there was obviously a lot of demand. There is also a super hotel just across the courtyard.

I was staying in Roncesvalles on 4th October this year. I was there somewhere between 3 and 4pm and had no problem in getting a bed. I saw people coming much later than me and they were allowed to stay so I'm not even sure if there was anyone that had to leave.

BUT I have a tip for people staying there - don't take a breakfast there early in the morning. They told us to come between 7 and 8am and there were so many people in the queue it took us almost 30 minutes to get a meal. Anyway apart from this small drawback place is very nice.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

How did it all turn out?

I was there at the end of May, supposedly a very busy time. I had reservations (which they responded to promptly within 2 days, despite all the warnings I’d heard of long response times). The beds were plentiful and many seemed not to have reservations and still were getting beds at 4 in the afternoon. The facility was awesome, and they washed and dryer and folded and delivered your clothes to your bunk for only a few euros. It was wonderful.

I tried to reserve at Roncesvalles in early September for mid-September for my daughter and I. I was doing it online. It was showing as no beds available. I then tried the nearby hotels and they were also all booked. So, I found a place a few kilometres on (Espinal) and reserved beds there. However, when we arrived at Roncesvalles we found out that there were plenty of beds available. I talked with one of the very kind hospitaleros and he said that they only allow reservations on a certain number of beds (I don't recall the number—maybe 75?) the rest of the beds are left for people who arrive without reservations (which I was glad to hear). He urged us to stay and we would have loved to but there were those reservations in Espinal so that is where we went. Though we were disappointed to miss the stay in Roncesvalles we had a lovely time and met some new people whose company we enjoyed and the accommodations were very nice in Espinal. All's well that ends well :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
. . . Really well done and well run by Dutch hospitaleros . . .
Totally concur with this assessment, great team of hospitaleros. I had a reservation for two bunks [last week of September], the place was packed, but late in the evening a couple showed up without a reservation and were able to get a couple of bunks. If I walk this route again I would make a reservation [St Jean and Roncesvalles will always be "reservation" stops in my book]. Closing now, Feliz Navidad, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I booked Roncevalles on their website for the middle of June 2017 after reading they had reduced the number of beds they make available. I stayed at Orisson the night before and it was completo, so I was glad to have booked ahead for both places. As it turned out there was plenty of space available at Roncevalles that night but the next night in Zubiri, El Palo de Avellano was at full capacity and luckily I found a bed. The same was true for Zabaldiki the following night. I got there early and was able to relax in front of the church but it was blazing hot day and by 3pm it was completely filled.

Has anyone else had difficulty booking at Roncesvalles through their website? I keep getting a message that my transaction was denied, but when I check with my credit card company, they tell me that they have not denied any charges and, in fact, they don't even see an attempt made.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Has anyone else had difficulty booking at Roncesvalles through their website? I keep getting a message that my transaction was denied, but when I check with my credit card company, they tell me that they have not denied any charges and, in fact, they don't even see an attempt made.
Try using PayPal

There was a lot of concern on the Forum early in the year about the reduction in beds at Roncesvalles. But I didn't see much more about it during the rest of the year. How did it all turn out?

Hello Robo - I arrived around 1.30 pm (Tuesday 2nd May) from Valcarlos - cold, somewhat wet and hungry. There was space available at the big albergue but as they were not admitting any one before 2.00 pm and only in numerical order I took advantage of a taxi heading for Burguete and continued on to Espinal. I was in Haizea albergue before 2.00 pm, warm shower, clothes drying and enjoying a beer by 2.30 pm. Not sure how those who stayed in Roncesvalles faired but I know I made the best choice for me!!!

Hello Robo - I arrived around 1.30 pm (Tuesday 2nd May) from Valcarlos - cold, somewhat wet and hungry. There was space available at the big albergue but as they were not admitting any one before 2.00 pm and only in numerical order I took advantage of a taxi heading for Burguete and continued on to Espinal. I was in Haizea albergue before 2.00 pm, warm shower, clothes drying and enjoying a beer by 2.30 pm. Not sure how those who stayed in Roncesvalles faired but I know I made the best choice for me!!!

Remaining flexible is the name of the game :):)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think the best advice for anyone leaving in May or September is to leave St Jean as early as possible. It's horrible to feel rushed to get to the next place but it's worth it for this first day. It's tough enough without having to walk on further!

When I was there a couple of years ago I almost missed out on a bed. It was Mid May and totally full within an hour of me arriving at 2pm.

I was carrying a tent at the time and would have looked for somewhere to camp Of course very few pilgrims would want to carry the extra weight and I totally understand that!

Yes, a few people reported similar problems on this forum. The reason is not clear to me. I personally would try a different credit card, a different browser (yes, and it should be up to date!) or contact the albergue Roncesvalles by email as a last resort. There is no option to use Paypal. To me, it looks like a normal secure payment system. It's run by Comercia Global Payments.

Thanks for the information - it's good to know I'm not alone (although not any less frustrating). I did attempt another credit card, a different browser, and even Masterpass (which is the only other option). None of them worked. I emailed them and perhaps I'll try again next week. If nothing else, I'll just have to plan to arrive as early in the day as I can to snag a non-reserved bed.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for the information - it's good to know I'm not alone (although not any less frustrating). I did attempt another credit card, a different browser, and even Masterpass (which is the only other option). None of them worked. I emailed them and perhaps I'll try again next week. If nothing else, I'll just have to plan to arrive as early in the day as I can to snag a non-reserved bed.

I had problems reserving Ronscavalles online; however, I simply sent them an email and they sent a paypal receipt direct to me for payment within a few days. Just make sure to translate your email into Spanish :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I had problems reserving Ronscavalles online; however, I simply sent them an email and they sent a paypal receipt direct to me for payment within a few days. Just make sure to translate your email into Spanish :)

Wonderful! I sent another email in Spanish this time.

I have also had trouble making a reservation in Roncesvalles. Just wondering if you got a response to your email?

I have also had trouble making a reservation in Roncesvalles. Just wondering if you got a response to your email?

Yes - I originally sent a message through the website explaining the problem and then, the next day, sent an email asking if I could pay via Paypal. In the response from my website message, they suggested I send my credit card information by email -- which made me a bit uncomfortable. But then they responded to my email and said I could pay via Paypal for two euro more -- which was fine with me. So my reservations are all set!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes - I originally sent a message through the website explaining the problem and then, the next day, sent an email asking if I could pay via Paypal. In the response from my website message, they suggested I send my credit card information by email -- which made me a bit uncomfortable. But then they responded to my email and said I could pay via Paypal for two euro more -- which was fine with me. So my reservations are all set!

Thanks for the information! I've sent an email (with a little help with the Spanish part) and will hope for a reply.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back