• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles during Good Friday

kimberlyerind

Time of past OR future Camino
Future Camino April/May
Hi all, Long time dreamer, first time walker.

I am in currently planning my first camino to start on April 14, 2022. I am staying the night at Albergue Borda and on to Roncesvalles on April 15, A.K.A. good friday. What I am trying to find is the time for the Good Friday Mass in Roncesvalles. I want to pre-book the Albergue but I want to pick the right dinner hour that doesn't coincide with the Mass. Options are 7:00 and 8:30 pm for dining. Anyone know what time Mass is?

Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I am in currently planning my first camino to start on April 14, 2022. I am staying the night at Albergue Borda and on to Roncesvalles on April 15, A.K.A. good friday. What I am trying to find is the time for the Good Friday Mass in Roncesvalles. I want to pre-book the Albergue but I want to pick the right dinner hour that doesn't coincide with the Mass. Options are 7:00 and 8:30 pm for dining. Anyone know what time Mass is?

Thanks

Well in the strict sense of the word there is no Mass on a Good Friday in the Catholic Church. Just a wordservice.

This is a link to the hours of Semana Santa services in Roncesvalles from last year.

Well in the strict sense of the word there is no Mass on a Good Friday in the Catholic Church. Just a wordservice.

This is a link to the hours of Semana Santa services in Roncesvalles from last year.

Thanks for the quick response.

It shows Friday at 5:30 last year. I was just confused because online it says Pilgrims Mass at 8:00, except during public holidays, then its 6:00, but its good friday so I don't know? Think its safe to select the 8:30 dinner so to not miss out on possible experiences?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the quick response.

It shows Friday at 5:30 last year. I was just confused because online it says Pilgrims Mass at 8:00, except during public holidays, then its 6:00, but its good friday so I don't know? Think its safe to select the 8:30 dinner so to not miss out on possible experiences?
Like I wrote : no Mass on Viernes Santo so I'm pretty sure that the service will again be at 17.30.

In addition to what @SabineP has already said: Last year, 2021, was different from other years because of the Covid-19 restrictions and because there were next to no pilgrims. Nobody knows what this year will be like during the week before Easter Sunday.

The Roncesvalles website happens to have the schedule for Easter in 2015. It is perhaps typical for normal years. See here: https://www.roncesvalles.es/noticia.php?id=4&3&idioma=1

I agree with @SabineP that the service (Celebración de la Muerte del Señor) will be scheduled for starting at 17:30. Is it this that you wish to attend or is it the Pilgrim Blessing which is separately scheduled on Good Friday?

Last edited:
Further to what @SabineP has already said: Last year, 2021, was different from other years because of the Covid-19 restrictions and because there were next to no pilgrims. Nobody knows what this year will be like during the week before Easter Sunday.

The Roncesvalles website happens to have the schedule for Easter in 2015. It is perhaps typical for normal years. See here: https://www.roncesvalles.es/noticia.php?id=4&3&idioma=1

I agree with @SabineP that the service (Celebración de la Muerte del Señor) will be scheduled for starting at 17:30. Is it this that you wish to attend or is it the Benediction of Pilgrims which is separately scheduled on Good Friday?
I would kinda like to do both? I e-mailed the Albergue but haven't heard back?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks
Hello, this is not to answer your question but my friend and I are starting our walk on the 14th and staying at Borda and Roncesvalles on the 15th also! I guess we will be meeting up. We are having the early dinner.

Hello, this is not to answer your question but my friend and I are starting our walk on the 14th and staying at Borda and Roncesvalles on the 15th also! I guess we will be meeting up. We are having the early dinner.
Oh my Goodness how cool! Literally same dates so looks like we might be walking buddies at some point! Cant wait to meet you for dinner at Borda ahaha.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
At your check-in in the albergue you can ask what time the mass will be. If you picked the 'wrong' dinner ticket, you can change your ticket for the more conventient time (as long as they are available of course).

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back