• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Municipal Albergue

marstine

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi - I have tried to make a reservation at the above several times but no luck with their payment system. My visa won't go through. Called my bank and they said the problem was with the payment system at the albergue. Emailed them, they said to send money through paypal to an individuals name. Seems wierd? Any suggestions. Will I need a reservation for April 19? Or wait to get to St. Jean and make reservation through Pilgrim office?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I found a similar problem with their web address, but had no problems last year. Mid April should be no problem but reserve a day before to be safe.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi - I have tried to make a reservation at the above several times but no luck with their payment system. My visa won't go through. Called my bank and they said the problem was with the payment system at the albergue. Emailed them, they said to send money through paypal to an individuals name. Seems wierd? Any suggestions. Will I need a reservation for April 19? Or wait to get to St. Jean and make reservation through Pilgrim office?

Not weird to send money to individuals name. I have emailed properties in Spain and got replies from a totally different name. I stressed a little when they didn't answer my question...is this the right place. But all was well and the reservation was in place when I arrived. The Camino is often in rural Spain and some places one busy person runs every thing.

Just to confirm: over the last year or so, a handful of people, all from outside Europe it seems, have reported the problem you describe, ie not being able to pay through the online reservation system of the Roncesvalles albergue (which btw is not owned by the municipality but by the collegiate church of Roncesvalles) although there is no detectable problem with their credit card. The solution was as you describe, ie contacting them directly and then payment via email/Paypal so there's nothing weird about it.

Probably not related but worth mentioning in this context: everyone trying to make an online reservation for the Roncesvalles albergue should make sure that automatic translation from Spanish to English is switched off in their browser as it may cause problems and make reservation impossible. I agree with others that you don't need a reservation for the date of 19th April.

How about mid-May (17 or 18 in May)? So do I. I tried to reserve at Refuge de Peregrinos (Colegiata) but its online system did not work. So I emailed. It asked an alternative way to reserve by Paypal. I asked on its official email "Other way except Paypal?. No response. I left my credit card number and its expiration date, except secret code. I did not yet its response.
Do you think it will be hard to get two beds there in mid-May?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just to confirm: over the last year or so, a handful of people, all from outside Europe it seems, have reported the problem you describe, ie not being able to pay through the online reservation system of the Roncesvalles albergue (which btw is not owned by the municipality but by the collegiate church of Roncesvalles) although there is no detectable problem with their credit card. The solution was as you describe, ie contacting them directly and then payment via email/Paypal so there's nothing weird about it.

Probably not related but worth mentioning in this context: everyone trying to make an online reservation for the Roncesvalles albergue should make sure that automatic translation from Spanish to English is switched off in their browser as it may cause problems and make reservation impossible. I agree with others that you don't need a reservation for the date of 19th April.

Thanks so much for your reply. I did have my English to Spanish translation on. I will go with the majority and not worry about a reservation at this time of the year. We are very excited to head out next week from Seattle to Madrid and onward! Blessings to you all!

Last year in mid-April, I saw them turning people away for lack of reservations.
Last year (2017), Good Friday was on 14 April, so the major long Easter holiday with various as well as varying public holidays and school holidays throughout Spain and throughout Europe and with an increase in demand for beds was in mid-April. This year, Good Friday was on 30 March and the "Easter bump" is behind us. Some of you guys don't seem to be tuned into this ;). The month of May with a new set of attractive public holidays is now looming, of course. :cool:

PS: I discovered only this year that some Spanish regions have Maundy Thursday as a public holiday but not Easter Monday while in other regions it is the other way round. Other European countries have Good Friday and Easter Monday as a public holidays, others only one of the two. But all of this explains increased pedestrian traffic in the week before and after Easter Sunday. And as every pilgrim knows, of course, the date of Easter - unlike the date of Christmas - changes considerably from one year to the next.

Last edited:
Wow, I was so lucky, I didn't book, I didn't even realise at that stage that booking was possible.

How about mid-May (17 or 18 in May)? So do I. I tried to reserve at Refuge de Peregrinos (Colegiata) but its online system did not work. So I emailed. It asked an alternative way to reserve by Paypal. I asked on its official email "Other way except Paypal?. No response. I left my credit card number and its expiration date, except secret code. I did not yet its response.
Do you think it will be hard to get two beds there in mid-May?
I would suggest a reservation. They do have a telephone, so why not call them?

I have walked in April also and they were full. However, if you are walking from Orisson or Valcarlos you should be there early enough that you should get a bed. If you are walking a long day from SJPdP the chances are higher that you will have a problem.....but who knows :)

I just got a note that Edurne is on maternity leave.
She will be back in the office when she can.
If you want a reservation, send the date, and number of people and ask her to hold the beds.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Wow!
I just got a note that Edurne is on maternity leave.
She will be back in the office when she can.
If you want a reservation, send your credit card info, the date, and number of people and I think she will hold the beds.

Wow! Wonder of Life! Congrats!!

I changed the posting - maybe don't send your credit card info until she asks for it.
But I think she will hold the beds if you email and give her the date and number of beds.
If you don't hear back, keep emailing. That's what I did and she finally answered.
Their website is difficult - the calendar doesn't work.
I wish they'd get Paypal.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I had no problem making the payment to Roncesvalles a few weeks ago. I called my credit union, they allowed the use of my visa internationally and all went through without a hitch. So I’m not much help, am I? The first time I tried, I used my Discover. Then I remembered that it’s not used much in Europe. But, if you used a Visa or MC you should have been fine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
IIRC, reservation is not always available, but only when the demand for beds starts being high.

During this year 2018, you can book beds at the Roncesvalles albergue through their web reservation system for any day during the period from 17 March 2018 until 6 November 2018.

Last edited:
My last few times through Roncesvalles I've ended up sleeping outside in my sleeping bag (once in the rain), and once had even to force my way into the bathroom simply to go to the toilet.

NOT my favourite refugio, though many of the Hospitaleros there are fine people just "following orders".

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back