• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles Reservation - with or without dinner and/or breakfast?

CndR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Aug/Sept 2022;
Resume May 2023
Hola,

When I make my reservation for Roncesvalles Pilgrim's hostel - Monastery ... should I make it with dinner and/or breakfast.

I have read through the posts and am finding it a bit confusing. Is dinner offered in the Hostel, or do they send you a restaurant and if so, do you choose the one you want?? Any explanation and direction here is greatly appreciated.

As far as breakfast, I know there is a town (Burguete, I think) that is pretty close and I may be able to eat breakfast and have coffee there ... but if they are not open. Ha. I love my coffee in the morning. So should I get breakfast at Roncesvalles hostel? Does anyone know how early they serve breakfast?

Thank you to all, in advance.
Cindy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola,

When I make my reservation for Roncesvalles Pilgrim's hostel - Monastery ... should I make it with dinner and/or breakfast.

I have read through the posts and am finding it a bit confusing. Is dinner offered in the Hostel, or do they send you a restaurant and if so, do you choose the one you want?? Any explanation and direction here is greatly appreciated.

As far as breakfast, I know there is a town (Burguete, I think) that is pretty close and I may be able to eat breakfast and have coffee there ... but if they are not open. Ha. I love my coffee in the morning. So should I get breakfast at Roncesvalles hostel? Does anyone know how early they serve breakfast?

Cindy

A few of the above what-if problems are resolved once you make a reservation and include dinner and breakfast. You'll have a bed to sleep in, no worries about dinner, and breakfast in the morning.

I always purchase bed and dinner. I have found better breakfasts up the trail in Burguete. The Compound at Roncesvalles is only a few buildings all very close together in a smaller space than a "block" in the USA so walking from one to the other takes literally minutes. Your choices for dinner are at Casa Sabina or La Posada. I like La Posada because they serve (when I've been there) at larger tables. Sabina has served at smaller tables of 4-6. The food choices are pretty much the same and if you like fish, I highly recommend the local trout. I usually take the first dinner so I can attend the Pilgrim Mass.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I always purchase bed and dinner. I have found better breakfasts up the trail in Burguete. The Compound at Roncesvalles is only a few buildings all very close together in a smaller space than a "block" in the USA so walking from one to the other takes literally minutes. Your choices for dinner are at Casa Sabina or La Posada. I like La Posada because they serve (when I've been there) at larger tables. Sabina has served at smaller tables of 4-6. The food choices are pretty much the same and if you like fish, I highly recommend the local trout. I usually take the first dinner so I can attend the Pilgrim Mass.
Thank you so very much for this amazing information ... exactly what I wanted to know! :).

@Anniesantiago, I too, liked La Posada, and ate dinner there both times as I liked the food and ambiance.
I rarely eat the breakfasts offered at hostels and albergues; preferring my fave cafe con leche and more variety, rather than the standard toast and jam usually served. I'm willing to wait and always find a nice bar/cafe a little later.

@Anniesantiago, I too, liked La Posada, and ate dinner there both times as I liked the food and ambiance.
I rarely eat the breakfasts offered at hostels and albergues; preferring my fave cafe con leche and more variety, rather than the standard toast and jam usually served. I'm willing to wait and always find a nice bar/cafe a little later.
Thank you! Sounds like that will be my plan!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola,

Cindy
I did both. the dinner was good - chance to have a sit down with fellow pilgrims, and the food was fine. I'd skip the breakfast - dried bread/toast with jam - and eat in one of the towns shortly after
Roncesvalles.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ditto for dinner, but not breakfast.
Having said that, I am a breakfast person. And on my first CF I enjoyed the breakfast.

However, we were crammed in, fast and furious, get in get out scenario, as so many had booked breakfast and they had to accommodate all.

Would never do it again at Roncesvalles.

Hola,

Cindy
Bed and dinner. Breakfast at Burguete was nice and popular, and not too far away.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For the dinner (€ 11,00) you have the choice between the 7 pm and the 8.30 pm dinner. The pilgrims Mass in church is at 8 pm (on Sundays at 6 pm) so you will be able to attend the mass too. Most pilgrims prefer the 7 pm dinner. Breakfast is € 5,00 and starts at 7 am. In my opinion much too late for early starters. In the albergue we have vending machines with sandwiches and yogourts, there is a coin operated coffee machine, so take a cup of coffee and just start walking. In half an hour you are in Burguete, the bar and the supermarket are open early in the morning.

I see that the Roncesvalles Albergue website only offers a single choice for breakfast.

When I walked in mid May 2019, without a reservation, I was offered two choices for breakfast with my bed. A small breakfast and a large breakfast. The small breakfast was just toast and jam while the large breakfast included omelette and bacon.

BTW, I noticed on the website that they are still only allowing reservations for the 60 beds on the first floor (2nd floor for americans) while holding back the other 120 beds for walk in pilgrims. So, if it seems like Roncesvalles is full when you try to reserve then it is only the first floor that is full.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I can only speak about the breakfast. In Burguete, as in any village: you can choose the first one you see or hedge your bets. We waited, and found a cafe on the main street heading onwards. Well up ten steps to the left, on a kind of plaza. The tortilla was just done. The bread, so fresh, the cafe con leche, bliss.

I was there in late October 2021, and I had reserved both breakfast and dinner. I was given a voucher and sent to the restaurant of Hotel Roncesvalles, right opposite the church. This for both dinner and breakfast, and I think it may have something to do with covid measures - the dining area in the albergue was not used (although it was accessible). I understand some people were also sent to La Posada. Since this is mentioned in the original question: no, I was not given a choice. The quality of both dinner and breakfast was decent, and worth the price. Just be careful with expectations for breakfast: it consisted of coffee/tea, orange juice and toasted bread with butter/jam.

Roncesvalles is a small place, so the dinner through the albergue made sense for me. As for breakfast, I found it very convenient to have breakfast before starting out, given that daylight comes only after 8 a.m. at that time of the year. I also do not remember seeing anything open in the first couple of villages below Roncesvalles, but this again must be because I was there out of season. I am sure that in summer, something will be open.

I can only speak about the breakfast. In Burguete, as in any village: you can choose the first one you see or hedge your bets. We waited, and found a cafe on the main street heading onwards. Well up ten steps to the left, on a kind of plaza. The tortilla was just done. The bread, so fresh, the cafe con leche, bliss.
My experience too - and it was early March. So still off season.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I reserved dinner and breakfast. Even though it isn't a wonderful breakfast, I do like to have a cup of coffee first thing in the morning so I can go use the WC before leaving.
Having a couple of pieces of toast is enough to keep me going for quite a while.

I see that the Roncesvalles Albergue website only offers a single choice for breakfast.

When I walked in mid May 2019, without a reservation, I was offered two choices for breakfast with my bed. A small breakfast and a large breakfast. The small breakfast was just toast and jam while the large breakfast included omelette and bacon.

BTW, I noticed on the website that they are still only allowing reservations for the 60 beds on the first floor (2nd floor for americans) while holding back the other 120 beds for walk in pilgrims. So, if it seems like Roncesvalles is full when you try to reserve then it is only the first floor that is full.
Yes, it used to be two choices for a breakfast: the € 3,50 one for a simple breakfast (coffee/tea, toast, jam and juice) and the € 5,-- breakfast (the same but with meat/cheese/egg). Now they only offer the € 5,-- breakfast. As the restaurants only serve the breakfast at 7 am, in summer, when people want to start early, we always advise them to just start walking (take a coffee from our coffeemachine) and take the breakfast in Burguete, after half an hours' walk.

Hola,

Cindy

We didn't make reservations (May 2016), but asked for to be put down for the early dinner when we signed in at the hostel (at about 2pm). Even if you're not Catholic/Christian/religious, the pilgrims mass and blessing is worth going to. The church is beautiful-- and the community and blessing is very memorable to me.

As for breakfast...I think I got a horrible coffee out of a machine, and we had some bread and cheese in our packs (maybe a squashed pain au chocolat?) and munched on that.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola,

Cindy

If your lucky and get to eat at the Nice restaurant at the hotel. Then dinner is Nice. If you get dinner at the bar. Then it’s not worth it imo.

Breakfast is not worth it.

Hola,

Cindy
Definately have both meals there. The food is good, and you wont have to walk back and forth to town before you begin your walk.

Definately have both meals there. The food is good, and you wont have to walk back and forth to town before you begin your walk.
Back and forth. Everything is within 2 mins :). But you never know if you get to eat at the bar or restaurant until you have payed and get your tickets. I’ve eaten twice at the bar and twice at the restaurant at the hotel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If your lucky and get to eat at the Nice restaurant at the hotel. Then dinner is Nice. If you get dinner at the bar. Then it’s not worth it imo.

Breakfast is not worth it.
Dinner in the restaurant of the hotel is good, but dinner in the restaurant of Casa Sabina was extremely good last year. It is not - as you write - in the bar where you can only have pinxtos (tapas). Dinner is served in the restaurant of Casa Sabina. There is another restaurant, La Posada, last year the dinner there was not as good as in Casa Sabina. I don't yet know how it will be this year; it all depends on the cook, and they have problems nowadays in finding personnel to work there (as everywhere in the hotels/restaurants after the Covid lockdowns ...).

Dinner in the restaurant of the hotel is good, but dinner in the restaurant of Casa Sabina was extremely good last year. It is not - as you write - in the bar where you can only have pinxtos (tapas). Dinner is served in the restaurant of Casa Sabina. There is another restaurant, La Posada, last year the dinner there was not as good as in Casa Sabina. I don't yet know how it will be this year; it all depends on the cook, and they have problems nowadays in finding personnel to work there (as everywhere in the hotels/restaurants after the Covid lockdowns ...).

Well the original message was about food from the monastery. And of all the times I’ve slept there. There was only either the hotel or La Posada. And La Posada was bad imo before covid.

if your lucky and get to eat at the Nice restaurant at the hotel
I guess that needs some explanation. Do you mean the restaurant of the Hotel Roncesvalles, the restaurant of La Posada, or the restaurant of Casa Sabina?

The restaurant of the Hotel Roncesvalles, with one small entrance door (under the doorway) close to the albergue, serves their own guests but I think it is open to other customers, too. Their breakfast buffet is one of my better culinary memories of the Camino Frances (I stayed at the place). I don't know whether their breakfast buffet is open to customers who did not pay to spend the night at the hotel.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When we stayed at the albergue in Roncesvalles in 2014 and booked the dinner option, to my surprise the dinner was at the Hotel Roncesvalles. 😎

Definitely reserve dinner. My first time in Roncesvalles in May 2018, we arrived late, all the reservable dinner slots were full, and my dinner consisted of a pack of almonds from a vending machine so I could make it to mass, followed by tapas at the bar much later. The monastery seems to usurp most of the food service in town. Last fall, I reserved dinner and was assigned to eat at the Roncesvalles Hotel, and had a wonderful evening with the eight people at my table. Buen camino!

@Thedanishvikingpilgrim: there is no such thing as 'food from the Monastry'. In the albergue itself there is no restaurant, there are only vending machines (and microwaves) with sandwiches, meals (rice- and pastameals), yogourts, drinks etc. As Kathar1na already explained, there is a restaurant in the hotel, and two other restaurants: La Posada and Casa Sabina.

@anamcara, yes, if the restaurants fill up quickly and the restaurant of the hotel still has capacity, you can have a pilgrims dinner for the same price as in the restaurants. The normal price for a three course meal in the hotelrestaurant is somewhat higher, I think it is € 18,00 instead of the € 11,00 for a three course pilgrims dinner (including wine and water) in the two restaurants. So you were lucky!

@Katharina, yes, the hotelrestaurant is also open for people who do not sleep there. I always eat there with my group of hospitaleros when we arrive on the day before our working period starts.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have had bed and dinner which is great breakfast was tough due to the small cafe being packed.

Just noticed that the Roncesvalles Pilgrim albergue now has photos of the food that you get for your meal ticket on their revamped booking webpage. Breakfast, dinner (it's alway either trout or chicken, there's no variation I think) and who knew that you can even buy a picnic?

Roncesvalles meals.jpg

For first-time pilgrims: the meal photos on the bookings page of the Roncesvalles pilgrim albergue are a good introduction to the concept of "pilgrim meal" or "menu del peregrino". Soup or pasta, frites/chips/fries with some kind of animal protein, absence of vegetables, the 'free' bottle of wine that you may or may not quickly get tired of, and a dessert that may consist of an ice cream cone upside down on a plate and in its wrapper. Ah, nostalgia ... 🤭

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For the dinner (€ 11,00) you have the choice between the 7 pm and the 8.30 pm dinner. The pilgrims Mass in church is at 8 pm (on Sundays at 6 pm) so you will be able to attend the mass too. Most pilgrims prefer the 7 pm dinner. Breakfast is € 5,00 and starts at 7 am. In my opinion much too late for early starters. In the albergue we have vending machines with sandwiches and yogourts, there is a coin operated coffee machine, so take a cup of coffee and just start walking. In half an hour you are in Burguete, the bar and the supermarket are open early in the morning.
Best answer award!!

"menu del peregrino"
An excellent learning opportunity for nuevos peregrinos.

"Menu del Peregrino" = they're tired & hungry and won't be back for at least a year if ever. They'll eat anything.

"Menu del Dia" = this is what my local clientele look for - the local workers; the gentlemen and ladies of the Guardia; the Mayor and his/her party members... If this isn't tasty, nutritious, generous I'm out of business.

That said the grilled Trout in the Posada has been memorable even if the wine was unspeakable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola,

Cindy
Hi Cindy, here is my Roncevalles experience from rather a long time ago:
When we finally made our way into Roncevalles, we went to the hotel to book supper, there were two sittings and you needed to pay ahead of time. We were at round tables of 8 or so which was lovely as we got to socialize. We were in the overflow of the overflow dormitory and next morning all was closed for non-residents at the hotel. We walked to Buguete and on the square there was cafe and he was open and doing a brisk business with coffee and ham sandwiches and we were grateful that he was open early on the Sunday morning.
This is my memory from rather a long time ago!
Buen camino.
Julia

We have booked a room at hotel Roncesvalles. I asked if we had to book dinner ahead of time and she get the lid us no, they would have a tabele for us. Different than the municipal i’m sure. We aren’t going to get the breakfast and we’ll wait for the next town. I also need my coffee and bough so will have tat in my hotel room first!!

Hola,

Cindy
Definitely go for dinner. The restaurants fill up pretty quickly. Last time I was there, I booked but a friend did not. She thought she could just walk in but it was booked out. That was in April so will be even worse later in year. Breakfast not a problem, you can always get a bite to eat in burgette if need be

Thank you so much to everyone and all your direction and information. I am so grateful!!

I don't remember the dinner we had in Roncesvalles, but I remember the breakfast, and I loved it - a bottomless coffee urn and good company! And despite my research before going, and my ambitious plan of shopping and cooking, after two days of trying that I quickly found that I had no energy to find a shop, do the shopping, cook, and then clean up afterwards. It was probably due to my advanced age of 66 at the time! 😁 But the real reason was that I found the communal meals were the best option for a rookie like I was ... I actually learned many things about the Camino and its resources while eating and conversing with other pilgrims, some of whom remain friends to this day. Let me put it another way, I think the benefits of a communal meal or going out to a restaurant with other pilgrims outweigh the tasks of cooking and cleaning up etc. If you go the communal route, you can also dispense with the space and weight of carrying eating utensils and even the lightweight dishes. I can easily and strongly recommend communal meals as often as possible.

my ambitious plan of shopping and cooking, after two days of trying that I quickly found that I had no energy to find a shop, do the shopping, cook, and then clean up afterwards.
Amen! I never cooked one meal on my Caminos; I do that at home and too tired. I prefer to sit, whether at a communal dinner or a pub/restaurant.
OTOH, people do love the communal cooking together to both save money and enjoy having a shared experience with new friends. They do seem happy doing it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I'm arriving in Roncesvalles on 16th May and debating whether to pre book/pay for dinner and a bed at the Albergue.. Do you think this is advisable or d'you think I'd be ok to just to turn up? .. Also any idea if I can pay by cash?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm arriving in Roncesvalles on 16th May and debating whether to pre book/pay for dinner and a bed at the Albergue.. Do you think this is advisable or d'you think I'd be ok to just to turn up? .. Also any idea if I can pay by cash?
Since May, along with September are the busiest months for pilgrims starting from SJPdP, I would go ahead and book at Roncesvalles. Then you can take your time and walk without worrying that there's a place for you.
If you don't book ahead you can pay cash when you arrive.

Since May, along with September are the busiest months for pilgrims starting from SJPdP, I would go ahead and book at Roncesvalles. Then you can take your time and walk without worrying that there's a place for you.
If you don't book ahead you can pay cash when you arrive.
Thanks for good advise 🙏

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for good advise 🙏
Just to be clear, Roncesvalles has a total of 180 pilgrim beds. 60 of those can be reserved beforehand while 120 are kept for walk-in pilgrims on a first in first served basis.

I don't know if it is possible to reserve a meal without also reserving a bed.

I also don't know what the maximum number of meals that can be delivered is. I suspect, but don't know, that it is less than 180.

Depends on when you think that you will arrive. I was at Roncesvalles on the 16th May 2019 and I got a walk-in bed without problems. I took two days walking from SJPdP. On day one I walked to the statue of the Snow Virgin and caught the shuttle back to SJPdP then on day two I caught the shuttle back to the statue and walked from there.

The walk from the statue in the morning plus an unscripted off piste adventure (a story for another day) got me to Roncesvalles at 1:25pm (according to my Google Maps timeline). There was a long queue when I arrived and I was a little worried but I easily got a bed along with a lot of other people who arrived after me.

Of course this was my experience, on exactly the same day that you are planning. Your experience may be different but, please, don't let pre-Camino jitters get to you.

Even the pilgrims who arrived too late at Roncesvalles to get a bed there, still got a bed somewhere else and experienced an unexpected adventure while doing this.

I met one woman who had been unable to get a bed at Roncesvalles and she chose to walk on a short distance to an alternate albergue.

I have never met anyone who had to sleep outside.

Last edited:
Also, for context, from memory May 2019 has the current record for the most number of pilgrims on this section of the Camino Frances and so May 16th 2019 was probably one of the busiest days on record.

Hola,

Cindy
I have purchased bed, dinner and a picnic to take with us the next day. Thought that might be good .

I enjoyed my dinner at the Posada: chance to meet other pilgrims around the table and the food was adequate, although I would have prefered a vegetarian option rather than the fish. But breakfast was a disaster. And I don't even remember the food. I had signed out at the monastery, so had my pack on my back. The restaurant was packed and I had to wait outside in the rain until there was space to go in, then leave my pack outside in the rain while I gobbled a basic breakfast, retrieved my very wet pack and went on, letting others enter. If I hadn't signed out, I would almost certainly have found myself locked out of the monastery with my pack inside, as all that waiting time meant that they were closed down for the day by the time that I was fed.

I enjoyed my dinner at the Posada: chance to meet other pilgrims around the table and the food was adequate, although I would have prefered a vegetarian option rather than the fish. But breakfast was a disaster. And I don't even remember the food. I had signed out at the monastery, so had my pack on my back. The restaurant was packed and I had to wait outside in the rain until there was space to go in, then leave my pack outside in the rain while I gobbled a basic breakfast, retrieved my very wet pack and went on, letting others enter. If I hadn't signed out, I would almost certainly have found myself locked out of the monastery with my pack inside, as all that waiting time meant that they were closed down for the day by the time that I was fed.
We always ask pilgrims to take their backpack with them when they go to the breakfast, as we close the door at 8 am and start our daily work. After a short breakfast ourselves we are quite busy cleaning the dormitories. In case someone rings at the doorbell, we do not hear that, as the bell only rings in our hospitalero-kitchen. At 10 am the Spanish lady who works in the reception-desk starts her work, and from that moment the door is open again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We always ask pilgrims to take their backpack with them when they go to the breakfast, as we close the door at 8 am and start our daily work. After a short breakfast ourselves we are quite busy cleaning the dormitories. In case someone rings at the doorbell, we do not hear that, as the bell only rings in our hospitalero-kitchen. At 10 am the Spanish lady who works in the reception-desk starts her work, and from that moment the door is open again.

Sounds completely reasonable! Afterall you hospis are managing some of the busiest albergues of any Camino.

Depends on when you think that you will arrive. I was at Roncesvalles on the 16th May 2019 and I got a walk-in bed without problems. I took two days walking from SJPdP. On day one I walked to the statue of the Snow Virgin and caught the shuttle back to SJPdP then on day two I caught the shuttle back to the statue and walked from there.

The walk from the statue in the morning plus an unscripted off piste adventure (a story for another day) got me to Roncesvalles at 1:25pm (according to my Google Maps timeline). There was a long queue when I arrived and I was a little worried but I easily got a bed along with a lot of other people who arrived after me.

Of course this was my experience, on exactly the same day that you are planning. Your experience may be different but, please, don't let pre-Camino jitters get to you.

Even the pilgrims who arrived too late at Roncesvalles to get a bed there, still got a bed somewhere else and experienced an unexpected adventure while doing this.

I met one woman who had been unable to get a bed at Roncesvalles and she chose to walk on a short distance to an alternate albergue.

I have never met anyone who had to sleep outside.
I have seen pilgrims crying in the foyer because the beds were full, there were no beds ahead in the small villages, Zubiri was full, and their remaining option was to taxi to Pamplona.

I have seen pilgrims crying in the foyer because the beds were full, there were no beds ahead in the small villages, Zubiri was full, and their remaining option was to taxi to Pamplona.

May and September are always the busiest months and yes, many people are very disappointed and sad when they cannot sleep in Roncesvalles. When you arrive early (fast walker and/or if you had an overnight in Orisson) you will probably be able to get a bed in these busy periods. But many times people arriving at 3 or 4 pm will have to walk on, or wait till the taxis arrive to bring them to other places. The taxis on the other hand cannot arrive earlier, as they first have to bring the schoolchildren from the schools to their houses in the villages in the neighbourhood during the afternoon.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As an experienced hospitalera myself, my post was intended to advise new pilgrims on the situation which they are likely to find at Roncesvalles at breakfast time. If I had known, I would certainly not have bought a breakfast ticket but would have planned to walk on. Of course, some pilgrilms may feel that any food first thing is better than none. I think that if I spent a night at Roncesvalles again I would bring some sort of snack in my pack and eat it with machine coffee before setting off in the morning. And I would certainly have a reservation somewhere for the next night.

Yes on our way back from dinner, people were still walking in and the albergue team was finding them lodgings and a taxi elsewhere.

Yes on our way back from dinner, people were still walking in and the albergue team was finding them lodgings and a taxi elsewhere.
Good point: That a number of people who are 'doing this for the first time' arrive quite late in the day and even late in the evening at Roncesvalles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You can go to their website and pay up front they do ask that you bring your own sleeping bag but after making enquires it's acceptable to bring just a sleeping bag liner ..but because of covid they have reduced their capacity

No, Aterpea (the big albergue) opens next Friday March 4th and we can use now full capacity.
The website still says 50% capacity. I assume that will change soon?

Siguiendo las recomendaciones sanitarias para este tipo de establecimientos, el aforo del albergue de Roncesvalles se verá reducido al 50% aproximadamente, asignando las camas de forma que se mantenga la distancia de seguridad entre un peregrino y otro.

It also states that a Covid pass is mandatory.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We did the dinner and breakfast in summer 2019 and if I walk again I would do the same. For me it was the convenience. We were dead tired upon arrival and in no shape to go looking for a meal - the meal wasn't something spectacular but it was convenient and easy after what my mom and I thought was a long and difficult day. Breakfast was ok, we included it just because of the unknown. We didn't want to start the day hungry.

There is a nice vending machine room at the albergue that can provide a quick breakfast snack - to give your blood sugar a boost - to take with you on the way to Burguete. In the three times staying at the the albergue and then leaving before 7am, I always found a breakfast of tortilla de patatas waiting with my name on it in Burguete. :)

We usually leave around 6 a.m. as we try to avoid the midday heat, and 7 a.m. is too late for us.
6 a.m. is too early for breakfast for us as well, as we don't feel like eating so early, so Burguete is a very good option, around 35 min. normal walking speed; Espinal is a good option as well, around 1h30-40min. from Roncesvalles.

Definitely go for dinner. The restaurants fill up pretty quickly. Last time I was there, I booked but a friend did not. She thought she could just walk in but it was booked out. That was in April so will be even worse later in year. Breakfast not a problem, you can always get a bite to eat in burgette if need be
Hi this is Elaine I am planning the Frances Camino in September 2023. The internet shows that the roncevalles pilgrim hostel is permanently closed is that accurate?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very strange! I stayed in the albergue in January. @Ianinam who is a regular volunteer there has been posting about how busy the reservation system is just now. And some of the 1000+ people who were registered in SJPDP last week would probably have commented here on the forum if they found the place shut up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The albergue is open all year, and at the moment we welcome many, many pelgrims every day.
Reservations only online on the website with payment in advance, in case you want to send an e-mail you can write in English.

This is what shows up on Google
View attachment 144189
Unfortunately, this kind of information on Google is not always reliable. We had the same misinformation about the Orisson albergue last year. I have submitted a request and a screenshot of the albergue’s own website to Google so that they correct their data. Good to know that you went directly to the albergue’s own website where you can book a bed.

Unfortunately, this kind of information on Google is not always reliable. We had the same misinformation about the Orisson albergue last year. I have submitted a request and a screenshot of the albergue’s own website to Google so that they correct their data. Good to know that you went directly to the albergue’s own website where you can book a bed.
Thank you for following up

In summer 2019 we did the dinner and breakfast option. Dinner was in the next building at a restaurant - it was an ok dinner - veggie soup or pasta, pork loin or trout, dessert, bread and wine - honestly we were so tired and hungry that we would have eaten anything put in front of us :). Breakfast was just toast, jam, coffee and juice - typical breakfast on the Camino.

when I walked if a place offered dinner and/or breakfast I usually chose that option just out of pure convenience. Some days were long, hot and tiring and it was nice to not have to go out and search for a place to eat.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back