• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles to Irun

john sommo

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning on doing the Camino Frances April/May. I would like to walk but foot problems may require using a bike. If that is the case, then I would like to extend my camino so I could ride for 6-8 weeks.
Has anybody walked from Roncesvalles to Irun? I would like to start my Camino in St. Jean and walk over the Pyrenees and then join up with the Camino Norte. Some of the links I have found seem to be several years old. I'm an older hiker but in good shape!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The only reasonable route anything like that would be start in Roncesvalles, walk over to SJPP, then walk to Hendaye from there.

The Roncesvalles to SJPP walk is beautiful and a lot easier than in the other direction.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Check this this earlier thread re St Jean to Irun.
I walked from SjpP to Irun last year. In the pilgrim office they gave me a route description which was rather unclear, one massive piece of text without much structure. I had another description found on Route You. The two descriptions contradicted eachother sometimes. Things were more more complicated because of the many different markings. In the end it was doable but it demanded more alertness and navigation than on a regular Camino.
I stayed in Bidarraj ( albergue), in Espelette (hostel managed by a painter Andy Bleu) and Urunje (air b&b)

You could walk the GR11 trail from Burgette to Irun. The Cicerone guide Through the Spanish Pyrenees: GR11 has it as four days but the guide has you walking from Irun to Burgette. There is a note saying that navigation in the Basque region is complicated due to the abundance of trails.

You may want to stop on the GR11 when you reach Elizondo as it is on the Camino Baztan (there is an albergue there). From there you can walk it a half stage to Berroeta (with another albergue). From there you go off camino following the highway N-121a north for about 7 kilometers to Oiregi where the Via Verde del Bidasoa starts on its 44 km way to Irun, about a marathon distance away.

Via Verdes are old railways converted to walking and cycling routes, what we in the US call rail trails. So it should be easy walking. And it is downhill to Irun. Also, if you use Google Maps to plot a walk from Berroeta to Oiregi you see it plots a way following the highway but not on it. It uses smaller parallel roads.

Note: I haven't walked any of this trail or the GR11.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
f84c45d9d80e6ad297736bebe15ce58e.jpg

this route you can start in Burgette, that is 3 km from Roncesvalles and you walk to Irun.

Thank you all!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.