• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles to Pamplona by public transport

Claire&Amelia

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Camino Frances 24th August 2018
Hello,
I am struggling to work out public transport from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. I know there is a bus run by Artiedas that covers this route but their website says that tickets have to be bought at the bus station (not in advance on-line).
Does anyone know where I might buy tickets in Roncesvalles or if I can get them from the driver on the day?
I have emailed the bus company but have had no reply!
I am keen to use public transport rather than a taxi!

Thank you in advance for any help.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have seen that bus on its way to Pamplona, and it looks like it is a local type bus, rather than inter city. My guess is that any person who lives/works in Roncesvalles can show you the bus pickup point. Good luck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband and daughter and I caught the bus from St Jean Pied de Port to Pamplona. We bought tickets online but some people bought tickets from the bus driver. It stopped in Roncesvalles. Just a word of warning, the ride is very windy and bumpy, both my daughter and I suffered from travel sickness on the trip. On the return trip we took travel sickness tablets and we were fine.
We bought the tickets on this website, it will show you the schedule, however it looks like you can’t get tickets from Roncesvalles to Pamplona so you will need to get them from the bus driver. I think Roncesvalles was about halfway time-wise.

We bought the tickets on this website, it will show you the schedule, however it looks like you can’t get tickets from Roncesvalles to Pamplona so you will need to get them from the bus driver.
I don't think you can take the ALSA/CONDA bus from Roncevalles to Pamplona. ALSA/CONDA has Navarra's international license and Artieda has the main local license. PLM does has service a few days a week between Pamplona, Valcarlos and Arneguy (actually still Spain but just a short walk across the border with Arneguy).

[Edit: I think you will find that the stop in Roncevalles is done for pickups to SJPdP or dropoffs from SJPdP. I suppose that if you buy a Pamplona to SJPdP ticket (or one for the other way) they really can't stop you from getting off in Roncevalles though.]

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Thank you for replying. I checked out busbud but it’s only possible to book from St Jean. I have emailed ALSA to see if it’s possible to join at Roncesvalles.
I’ll bear in mind the travel sickness!
If that bus service doesn’t work out I might just get a bus back to St Jean and travel from there.
Last year we walked from St Jean to Roncesvalles. We enjoyed it so much that we want to do that walk again and then continue walking from Sarria to Santiago- I didn’t think about how we’d bus the bit in the middle!!

Certainly people started with us in St Jean and got off the bus in Roncesvalles. They paid the bus driver and he knew they were getting off at Roncesvalles. I don’t think anyone got on the bus at Roncesvalles either way though. Good point Rick.
Good luck!

Rick is well informed, I'm just remembering the "old times". Maybe it gives you an idea.
The local bus left Roncesvalles very early (~6am) and did the route back from Pamplona in the afternoon.
The bus driver and the bus stayed in Roncesvalles or nearby during night.
The way down should be semi empty since it is only conveniant for the village people who work in Pamplona. The way up it carries a lot of pilgrim. They had no prebooking service, only the booth at the station and the bus driver.

You can also look for the backpack transporters. They shouldn't pass that early.
Taxi to Pamplona should be about 100€, maybe a bit less in the evening, asking a driver who just brought someone up.

expressbourricot serves Saint Jean-French Border @15€ two times a day.

Skipping Pamplona - Puente de la Reina (up to Logrono) is easier. You have connecting buses about every hour (La Estellesa).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The bus to Pamplona stops dayly (except on Sunday) at 9:20 am; the busstop is near restaurant/hotel La Posada (3 minutes walk from the albergue); ask the hospitaleros in the albergue, the bustimes are signposted there.
The costs are € 5,00, you can buy a ticket from the busdriver.

I expect you will not have much problems with sickness; this is only the case when you drive from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port; that is a ride through the mountains and over the pass, with many, many hairpins. The drive into Pamplona (1 hour) is a nice, comfortable ride.

Great information Ianinam. I will certainly file that away for future reference.
As for the travel sickness, if you are prone to sickness I would still think about taking medication. There is still a substantial part of the journey through the Pyrenees coming down from Roncesvalles, and my daughter and I suffered just as much on this section of the journey when we did it a couple of weeks ago. If it’s not a problem for you I’m sure you’ll be fine
Good luck

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.
In case this helps anyone: I emailed ALSA regarding their St.Jean - Pamplona service and checked if it’s possible to board their bus at Roncesvalles but they said they are only allowed to drop off there and drivers cannot sell tickets there.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you everyone for your help and advice.
In case this helps anyone: I emailed ALSA regarding their St.Jean - Pamplona service and checked if it’s possible to board their bus at Roncesvalles but they said they are only allowed to drop off there and drivers cannot sell tickets there.

Buen Camino!
Thank you for checking (and reporting).

In addition to my earlier post: in July and August the bus stops twice a day at Roncesvalles: 8.30 and 11.30 am. This is not the ALSA bus which does not take passengers, this is a bus from Autocares Artieda.

Hello,
I am struggling to work out public transport from Roncesvalles to Pamplona. I know there is a bus run by Artiedas that covers this route but their website says that tickets have to be bought at the bus station (not in advance on-line).
Does anyone know where I might buy tickets in Roncesvalles or if I can get them from the driver on the day?
I have emailed the bus company but have had no reply!
I am keen to use public transport rather than a taxi!

Thank you in advance for any help.
Since the bus company is not replying to your email maybe hospitaleros in the towns along the way could tell you whether you can get on the bus by paying the driver.

If people can get on the bus in Zabaldika, and pay the driver - which they can and do - then it seems most likely that the same applies at the start of the journey, in Roncesvalles.

If people can get on the bus in Zabaldika, and pay the driver - which they can and do - then it seems most likely that the same applies at the start of the journey, in Roncesvalles.

The reason for not picking up is that another company services Roncesvalles to Pamplona route so ALSA are not officially allowed to pick up there. In their email to me they said that they cannot guarantee that the driver will stop at Roncesvalles- I guess if no one requests to get off there they don’t stop.
I just don’t want anyone assuming that they’ll be able to get that bus (like I almost did!) and then possibly missing a connecting bus further on.

As another poster mentioned Autocarres Artiedas covers this route and although you can’t book online the driver will take payment.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In addition to my earlier post: in July and August the bus stops twice a day at Roncesvalles: 8.30 and 11.30 am. This is not the ALSA bus which does not take passengers, this is a bus from Autocares Artieda.

Thank you for this. This was the company I had emailed to find out how to book tickets but hadn’t heard back from them. I’ve since found out that the driver will take payment.

I suppose you emailed them in English? There are only few people in that area that can speak English, so maybe thay is the reason why they did not answer. But this bus definitely picks up passengers from Roncesvalles to Pamplona!

The reason for not picking up is that another company services Roncesvalles to Pamplona route so ALSA are not officially allowed to pick up there. In their email to me they said that they cannot guarantee that the driver will stop at Roncesvalles- I guess if no one requests to get off there they don’t stop.
I just don’t want anyone assuming that they’ll be able to get that bus (like I almost did!) and then possibly missing a connecting bus further on.

As another poster mentioned Autocarres Artiedas covers this route and although you can’t book online the driver will take payment.
yes, that must be the name of the bus I was referring to, I did not refer to Alsa. The main thing is that you will be able to get to where you need to go!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just to answer my own question-Roncesvalles albergue has a timetable for buses running to Pamplona! Artiedas run twice a day on Thursdays and Sundays at 8.30 and 11.30 am.
It takes about one hour.
I’m not prone to travel sickness but I felt really bad by the end of the journey.

We arrived safely in Pamplona this morning and are making our way by train now to continue our walking Camino to Santiago.

Just to answer my own question-Roncesvalles albergue has a timetable for buses running to Pamplona! Artiedas run twice a day on Thursdays and Sundays at 8.30 and 11.30 am.
It takes about one hour.
I’m not prone to travel sickness but I felt really bad by the end of the journey.

We arrived safely in Pamplona this morning and are making our way by train now to continue our walking Camino to Santiago.

I forgot to mention that the bus stop has been moved temporarily so check where the bus will pick up from!

Hi there don’t suppose you noticed what time the bus leaves other days - my research suggests same timetable 6 days and I’ve done this before without problems- I too love starting my caminoing with the Pyrenees.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Apologies for such a basic question, but can someone confirm the best way to get to Madrid airport from SDC by train. More specifically, can I book the entire route via Trainline? At first glance...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back