• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles to Santiago starting 20 September

philipc67

Hello all, this is Philip in Athens. Planning to do the Camino from Roncesvalles to Santiago, arriving Roncesvalles 19 September and starting out the next day. I speak Spanish and French.

Have already done some trekking in Africa and New Zealand.

I have of course read a lot about the Camino and have a couple of practical questions, perhaps someone who has done it before can help:

I am hoping to do the Camino in 30-33 days, is it a realistic goal?

I am currently training for up to 20km a day in a hilly track terrain, walking 4-5 km/h, should I be doing more pre-departure?

Can I get my credencial in Roncesvalles and is this at the pilgrim office or a church?

Is it easy to get a taxi from Pamplona Airport to Roncesvalles, do they have cab companies who do the route?

Weather-wise autumn seems to be unpredictable and I will pack for both heat, cold and rain, is one fleece and/or a GoreTex jacket plus perhaps a poncho enough?

Do farmacias along the way carry Compeed/blister aids? I want to avoid packing too much.

Many thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Philip,

I have walked the Camino from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in September 2006. Yes, it is very realistic to walk all the ways to Santiago in 31-32 days. Walking 20km per day at the moment is more than adequate training. You can get the credencial in Roncesvalles in the pilgrim office which is across the road from the Roncesvalles Albergue. I dont have any information about a taxi from Pamplona, each time I flew into Biarritz. As regards the weather, I had 28 days of sunshine, no need for a goretex jacket, you will not need it. Just carry a fleece and a poncho, if it does rain, the poncho is perfect as it will cover you and your backpack but it will also allow air to circulate, and the poncho is much lighter than a goretex jacket. Compeed is available in all the pharmacies along the camino, as well as any other pharmacy items that you may require along the way.

Have a great Camino.

Paul.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello!
About the taxi from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. There will be a bus from the busstation leaving at 16 on a Saturday (19.09), weekdays at 18.There is no bus on Sundays. It takes 70 minutes. You buy a ticket in or outside the bus. There will probably be a lot of pilgrims on the platform.
If you arrive later a taxi will be 80-90 euros I guess. As long as there is not a taxistrike, as there was when I arrived in 2005, it is easy to get a taxi. By the way, I suppose I am climbing over the mountain the same day on my way from Le Puy. Say hello if you see me a Norwegian peregrina.
Randi

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back