• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles, whether or not to stay

DurhamParish

Un Cerveza, Por Favor
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminho Portuguese 2012 & 2018
Camino Frances 2014, 2015, 2015, 2017, 2018
I will be beginning the Camino Frances on May the first. I will spend my first night in Orrison (I have a reservation). I had planned to stay in Roncesvalles on the next night. From my Brierley guide, I see that the distance from Orrison to Roncesvalles is about 17 K. My question is, would I be crazy to not stop in Roncesvalles and push on to either Espinal of Viskarret? Might I be too tired from crossing the Napoleon Pass to continue past Roncesvalles? Might I miss a wonderful Camino experience by passing up Roncesvalles?

Thanks.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am also wondering the same thing as I am starting out on the 7th of April. Once I make it over I will let you know if I pushed on.

Hi DurhamParish
Is it 1st time on Camino ? That stretch will test your legs being so early in your Camino when starting at Sjpdp. Take the break. I had stayed in Orisson first night and knew friendly Irish pilgrims were stopping in Burguete which is only a few ks further on from Roncesvalles. I was walking on my own and decided to push on to Burguete (which was a lovely village). But I didn't see them and regretted not experiencing Roncesvalles.

See how you feel on the day though , I thought Espinal was very pretty as I walked thru too.
Since you probably won't be booking ahead then? Continue to read up on the way and decide as you go.
Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
At first I was planning to walk on to Burguette from Orisson , but experienced Pilgrims I met told me to stop at Roncesvalles, since according to them the new Albergue is one of the nicest on the Camino Frances.

The new albergue is Roncesvalles is very big but nice. The layout of the very large dormrooms are set up in way that they do not feel big at all. Small 4 bed cubicles with each his own locker.
If you arrive late and have to sleep it the overflow, hmmm, thats not so nice.

Roncesvalles is ok, but Very very small. The one thing i did not like about Roncesvalles was the inability to get breakfast anywhere. First possible shop is, if i remember correctly, 30 walk and every pilgrim and his mother is standing in line to buy bread, fruits ect...
I must say, that was the first check-out line where i ever had fun....soooo early in the morning :)

I'm in the Burguete camp. All sorts of Casa Rurales to take a nice shower and great places to eat!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think Ronc is a must! There is a special feeling that comes with ascending down into it...then if a pretty day the rest of your day is sitting at a table outside of a restaurant watching pilgrims come in. I would make the time to walk thru the beautiful hotel there that shares a courtyard with the new auberge. It is so pretty. I have nothing bad to say about the new auberge BUT it is just that in my eyes a new auberge that looks like IKEA came thru and made the inside of it...nothing bad but can't say I'd stay there JUST for that...

But the rest...I'd make sure I stayed there!
Make sure when you sign up for dinner you don't conflict with mass.
When people stand to receive the bread offering know that YOU ARE WELCOME to participate no matter your religion, it was said during my mass that we are all one there.

If there was anything I would reconsider it would be the dinner...I found it to be a rushed event, like a cattle call of sorts. I was not the only one who said this. Instead I would have filled up on food there at the outside tables at the restaurant that has them (name escapes me).

I would know the legend tale of Roland, Charlemagne's legendary knight...it will make the water fountain and the monument a little more special.

...and in the morning...make sure you stop going into Burgette at the small grocery market there, I will never forget the owner and his long line of pilgrims...he stopped and asked questions of each one of us. I loved that man and he obviously loved us!

A night with pilgrims just starting out there in Ronc can not be bought for any sum of money...my vote...stay!!!!!!

The new albergue is Roncesvalles is very big but nice. The layout of the very large dormrooms are set up in way that they do not feel big at all. Small 4 bed cubicles with each his own locker.
If you arrive late and have to sleep it the overflow, hmmm, thats not so nice.

Roncesvalles is ok, but Very very small. The one thing i did not like about Roncesvalles was the inability to get breakfast anywhere. First possible shop is, if i remember correctly, 30 walk and every pilgrim and his mother is standing in line to buy bread, fruits ect...
I must say, that was the first check-out line where i ever had fun....soooo early in the morning :)

I heard the old auberge housed Napoleon's horses...if true I could justify staying there I think :)
Neat story...

I'm in the Roncesvalles camp. It's an amazing and very spritual village, with a fantastic albergue, plenty of eating options, amazing history, lots of places to sit out and relax / contemplate and a wonderful pilgrim mass. It shouldn't be missed.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I loved Ronc. It was such a scene. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. My bed was #82 in a huge old monastery. I was sooo tired it was surreal. Traded my bottom bunk for a top bunk cuz my friend who had gotten a top had really messed up feet.

Food has never tasted so good. They threw down a whole fried trout on our plates, there must have been a lake full of trout consumed that night. It was heavenly.

Ronc became in my mind the quintessential Camino night. Will never forget rolling in at 6pm, walking right under the belfry just as the bells started peeling, shaking the ground announcing evening novena. We were all sure they were ringing those bells for us.

The next day was beautiful, the sun came up, we laughed at each other as we limped out in search of coffee and toast, we hit the road.

Being a joyous part of the hoi polloi, the madding crowd, the churning humanity, the camino scene: I loved it. Don't miss Roncesvalles!

From the *technical* point of view, crossing a tough mountain pass the first day is not a good call. But I can understand (and share) the appeal. So, I would recommend making it as easy as possible, which means stopping at Roncesvalles. The new albergue (I was the 3rd pilgrim to arrive, on its inauguration day :) is huge, well designed, modern, a bit impersonal. It actually has a kitchen http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/servicios.php, vending machines, computer room, etc.
I did not specially like the dinner at the restaurant, but it was an opportunity to meet people. But you should not, really, miss the ecumenical Mass.
Burguete is just half an hour after Roncesvalles, but believe me, when you are dead tired, that´s a lot. And after sleeeping in Roncesvalles, walking in the morning through the forest was magical. You can have breakfast in Burguete, there is a restaurant that opens early in the morning, and it will be full of pilgrims. This may be a good idea, bcs there is not another cafe before Zubiri.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Without a doubt for me it has always been and shall be Roncesvalles where I have had nine exhausted but memorable stops during nine caminos. Staying there one senses history in the continuous monastic tradition of welcome to all.

January 2009 I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I was the only pilgrim staying in the old winter albergue.

The monk who stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction for pilgrims. It was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

I'm in the Roncesvalles camp. It's an amazing and very spritual village, with a fantastic albergue, plenty of eating options, amazing history, lots of places to sit out and relax / contemplate and a wonderful pilgrim mass. It shouldn't be missed.
Hello! I am leaving in 6 weeks and I am concerned about the weather and what to take and what to leave. I know weather is unpredictable in that area but any little help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Hello! I am leaving in 6 weeks and I am concerned about the weather and what to take and what to leave. I know weather is unpredictable in that area but any little help will be appreciated. Thank you.

This post probably should be under "gear".

Early May? Between SJPDP and Roncesvalles fog is quite likely and it could get cold. After Pamplona it is likely to warm up.

Don't be too concerned about your final choice of what to take - no-one ever gets it completely right. And the weather makes fools of us all. The best advice is to layer your clothing - I like a fine merino wool t-shirt under a fine merino cardigan with the ability to pull on a poncho or something similar to stop the wind and protect from rain - I'm trialling a Packa this weekend. If it gets hot I strip down to the t-shirt. Bottom half I wear light quick dry zip hiking pants with zip off legs. In my pack I carry knitted silk long johns.

If you really need something you can buy it there, if you take too much you can post it on or donate to an albergue.

Search this forum and you'll find plenty of packing lists. Just be careful that you are comparing the same time of the year and the same route - conditions vary greatly from one season to another and from one route to another.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Durham-

I started in SJPdP and went all the way to Espinal my first day- and later definitely wished I hadn't! I'd say either stop in Roncesvalles or at most go to Burguete. I know there's that "listen to your body" point too, but I would urge you to just take it easy and stop at one of those two points. I felt energized and ready that first day which is why I went so far- and also did the same the next day- and then dealt with the very VERY sore feet for the next several days. There's no reason to rush it! Just take it easy the first few days to let your body and feet adjust and find their rhythm.

This post probably should be under "gear".

Early May? Between SJPDP and Roncesvalles fog is quite likely and it could get cold. After Pamplona it is likely to warm up.

Don't be too concerned about your final choice of what to take - no-one ever gets it completely right. And the weather makes fools of us all. The best advice is to layer your clothing - I like a fine merino wool t-shirt under a fine merino cardigan with the ability to pull on a poncho or something similar to stop the wind and protect from rain - I'm trialling a Packa this weekend. If it gets hot I strip down to the t-shirt. Bottom half I wear light quick dry zip hiking pants with zip off legs. In my pack I carry knitted silk long johns.

If you really need something you can buy it there, if you take too much you can post it on or donate to an albergue.

Search this forum and you'll find plenty of packing lists. Just be careful that you are comparing the same time of the year and the same route - conditions vary greatly from one season to another and from one route to another.

You are right. I apologise. My post should have been under "gear". Thank you Kanga so very much for your kind words.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I think I will stop at Roncesvalles after all. The ulterior motive for moving on past it was to try to maybe get to Pamplona by Saturday night. I think I should stick to embracing the "Camino de Santiago Pilgrim" experience (the reason for this journey) and not try to also mix in the "Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises" experience.

Again, my thanks for everyone's input, including you too Odem. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I camped by the river in Roncevalles. That was awesome. The albergue is huge and renovated. I heard hilarious stories from pilgrims the next day. I don't think I would have slept well for all the carrying on I heard about.
It depends on your needs and wants. If you can sleep tnrough the apocalypse and want to experience Ronc then do it. If your priorities are different keep going.

This thread makes me think I can"t always say, " your feet will tell you when stop" etc....
Sometimes you do need to plan special moments and help create them!
There are places that I will have stop on my next Frances not knowing if my feet are wanting to stop or go on...I will carve these special places out if able.

I'm not disagreeing with those who say, "stop when your body says stop" ...but juast throwing out the idea to consider stopping because you've heard of great times at a place....and more importantly help provide great times for others.

Buen Camino

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I think I will stop at Roncesvalles after all. The ulterior motive for moving on past it was to try to maybe get to Pamplona by Saturday night. I think I should stick to embracing the "Camino de Santiago Pilgrim" experience (the reason for this journey) and not try to also mix in the "Hemingway - The Sun Also Rises" experience.Again, my thanks for everyone's input, including you too Odem. :)
You can do both DP. Don't forget to check the paths down to the streams and look for the trout!
Regds
Gerard

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be beginning the Camino Frances on May the first. I will spend my first night in Orrison (I have a reservation). I had planned to stay in Roncesvalles on the next night. From my Brierley guide, I see that the distance from Orrison to Roncesvalles is about 17 K. My question is, would I be crazy to not stop in Roncesvalles and push on to either Espinal of Viskarret? Might I be too tired from crossing the Napoleon Pass to continue past Roncesvalles? Might I miss a wonderful Camino experience by passing up Roncesvalles?

Thanks.
There's a lot of camaraderie in the bar in Posada de Roncesvalles. You'd also get a chance to see this work of art!
scarypilgrim.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Pilgrim Mass is a wonderful experience and the albergue has vending machines with, I think, cakes and biscuits etc in. Not cheap but you can get a quick breakfast from them before you set off

From the *technical* point of view, crossing a tough mountain pass the first day is not a good call. But I can understand (and share) the appeal. So, I would recommend making it as easy as possible, which means stopping at Roncesvalles. The new albergue (I was the 3rd pilgrim to arrive, on its inauguration day :) is huge, well designed, modern, a bit impersonal. It actually has a kitchen http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/servicios.php, vending machines, computer room, etc.
I did not specially like the dinner at the restaurant, but it was an opportunity to meet people. But you should not, really, miss the ecumenical Mass.
Burguete is just half an hour after Roncesvalles, but believe me, when you are dead tired, that´s a lot. And after sleeeping in Roncesvalles, walking in the morning through the forest was magical. You can have breakfast in Burguete, there is a restaurant that opens early in the morning, and it will be full of pilgrims. This may be a good idea, bcs there is not another cafe before Zubiri.
Buen camino!
There is a cafe in Espinal. Turned out to be one of my favorites, maybe because it was my first experience of a Spanish bar/cafe. The coffee was great, and the bartender was playing some great music.

There is a cafe in Espinal. Turned out to be one of my favorites, maybe because it was my first experience of a Spanish bar/cafe. The coffee was great, and the bartender was playing some great music.
Can you give directions or a name for the Bar/Cafe? Would like to stop there next week.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
TioRay,

You need not wait for Espinal to get a coffee! In Burguete there is only one church, next to it is a small plaza and at the back of the plaza a GREAT cafe/bar which is open early every morning and very pilgrim friendly. Within their complex is the local fronton court. I always stop here on my way down from Roncesvalles. If is still dark as you leave Roncesvalles be sure to wear or carry your head lamp or torch.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Very good. Thanks for the info, Margaret. May just be an early morning start with the headlamp.

It's at the Posada de Roncesvalles which will be very easy to find. I think you have to walk right past it. Ground floor - walk in and it'll be to your left just past the internet cubicle.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry! My answer was for the bar with the abstract pilgrim painting.

I pushed through to Espinal and don't regret it. I had my first solo walk from Roncesvalles to Espinal.. I was the only one on the Camino and a wonderful limenal experience at the White Cross. In retrospect, I wish I had at least stop by the monastery, but I felt driven to walk on. Whatever you decide, will be the right decision for you, follow your heart. Light and Love Ingrid

My 2 cents: this may become a mute issue with weather; if wintry weather (which is not unheard of on early May...) you may have to stay put. Add to this that immediately after leaving Roncesvalles you will be in the Sorginaritza Forest (Robledal de las Brujas). Very thick, forrested area which makes it sort of a darkened area (Think "The Blair Witch Project"). I strongly advised to be with company when crossing. I was by myself. In the 15-16th centuries a number of "witches" were burned at the stake (for the horrid "sin" of practing natural/herbal medicine!) at this forrest . I knew nothing of this beforehand but had a very unsettling feeling; only time I ran on the Camino. My jaw dropped when I read the plaque placed at the exit of the forrested area.

The other point I wanted to make is that Roncesvalles is one of the most spectacular medieval architectural complexes you will find along the Camino Frances. Do not miss the opportinuty to learn more on this aspect. The church, the monastery; those are all worth of a stop & look. If none of this makes a compelling case for Roncesvalles, then let me say the 6pm Mass can be a really nice spiritual experience, if so inclined.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stopped in Viskarret for breakfast after leaving Roncesvalles. I had a really good tortilla there. I shared it with a cat :) I met an New Zeeland girl there and we never saw each other again until I was heading back from Muxía then she was walking out to Finisterre and we both stayed in Vilaserio. Oh the memories.

But 11,8 km might be to long for some to wait for there morning coffee.

Attachments

• 1395775670777.jpg
    1395775670777.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 41
I love staying in Roncesvalles.
You can attend the Pilgrim's Mass there and be blessed for your Camino.
Also, breakfast wasn't difficult for me to find - and you can also walk a short way to the next village where there are many places serving breakfast.
Re Roncevalles did you book it ahead?

I think Ronc is a must! There is a special feeling that comes with ascending down into it...then if a pretty day the rest of your day is sitting at a table outside of a restaurant watching pilgrims come in. I would make the time to walk thru the beautiful hotel there that shares a courtyard with the new auberge. It is so pretty. I have nothing bad to say about the new auberge BUT it is just that in my eyes a new auberge that looks like IKEA came thru and made the inside of it...nothing bad but can't say I'd stay there JUST for that...

But the rest...I'd make sure I stayed there!
Make sure when you sign up for dinner you don't conflict with mass.
When people stand to receive the bread offering know that YOU ARE WELCOME to participate no matter your religion, it was said during my mass that we are all one there.

If there was anything I would reconsider it would be the dinner...I found it to be a rushed event, like a cattle call of sorts. I was not the only one who said this. Instead I would have filled up on food there at the outside tables at the restaurant that has them (name escapes me).

I would know the legend tale of Roland, Charlemagne's legendary knight...it will make the water fountain and the monument a little more special.

...and in the morning...make sure you stop going into Burgette at the small grocery market there, I will never forget the owner and his long line of pilgrims...he stopped and asked questions of each one of us. I loved that man and he obviously loved us!

A night with pilgrims just starting out there in Ronc can not be bought for any sum of money...my vote...stay!!!!!!

I concur about the dinner,didn't enjoy it one bit,far too rushed,i was 'forced' to go to the little pub for beer :)))

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The dinner at Roncesvalles was dismal to say the least- Thank God the Menu del Dia only improved greatly after that! ;). That said, I cannot even imagined not staying at Roncesvalles, it is spectacular and the Pilgrim's Mass at 6pm was lovely. Given: the towns that followed are very quaint, but Roncesvalles's monuments and history are a true highlight of the Camino. If staying at the Casa de Beneficiados (hotel attached), they do have a buffet breakfast that was fantastic.

The dinner at Roncesvalles was dismal to say the least- Thank God the Menu del Dia only improved greatly after that! ;). That said, I cannot even imagined not staying at Roncesvalles, it is spectacular and the Pilgrim's Mass at 6pm was lovely. Given: the towns that followed are very quaint, but Roncesvalles's monuments and history are a true highlight of the Camino. If staying at the Casa de Beneficiados (hotel attached), they do have a buffet breakfast that was fantastic.
Could you tell me did you book in advance? I am going in September

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As Kanga says "it's huge"!! 183 places plus 'hidden' overflow space.

It's the pilgrim albergue within the monastery complex that Kanga and I are describing,

Last edited:
AnnieY-- if you are referring to the private lodging, I booked in advanced as a cautionary measure not knowing in what shape was I going to be after the crossing from SJPDP. I booked the Hotel Casa de los Beneficiados and made arrangements in advance to share with another pilgrim because the rooms in this hotel are actually apartments with small kitchenettes and living room. There was a soccer championship game that night and many pilgrims gathered at our room to watch the game. A great time. The room included dinner the day of arrival and buffet breakfast the next morning. All fantastic.

There are 4 private lodging options at the Roncesvalles historical complex: Hotel Casa de los Beneficiados, Casa Sabina, Hotel Roncesvalles, and Posada de Roncesvalles. The Posada has a small store. Hope this helps. I do agree that Burguete and Vizcarret further down some KMs are lovely, but honestly, it is a bad move to missed Roncesvalles in favor of advancing down the route. You can feel the "soul" of a 1,000 Years of Pilgrimage on this place....just amazing.

AnnieY-- if you are referring to the private lodging, I booked in advanced as a cautionary measure not knowing in what shape was I going to be after the crossing from SJPDP. I booked the Hotel Casa de los Beneficiados and made arrangements in advance to share with another pilgrim because the rooms in this hotel are actually apartments with small kitchenettes and living room. There was a soccer championship game that night and many pilgrims gathered at our room to watch the game. A great time. The room included dinner the day of arrival and buffet breakfast the next morning. All fantastic.

There are 4 private lodging options at the Roncesvalles historical complex: Hotel Casa de los Beneficiados, Casa Sabina, Hotel Roncesvalles, and Posada de Roncesvalles. The Posada has a small store. Hope this helps. I do agree that Burguete and Vizcarret further down some KMs are lovely, but honestly, it is a bad move to missed Roncesvalles in favor of advancing down the route. You can feel the "soul" of a 1,000 Years of Pilgrimage on this place....just amazing.
thank you can you tell me how much it cost at the Hotel Casa please

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thank you can you tell me how much it cost at the Hotel Casa please
I split it with another pilgrim and my share was $50 (May 2011). This included dinner and breakfast; this was an apartment. I think this is the pricier lodging option at Roncesvalles. The Hotel Roncesvalles and Casa Sabina were booked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
had you booked?

I assume he would be staying in the Albergue. Very few people stay elsewhere. It is also, like Orisson, a great way to meet people. There is no need to book; it is huge.

I have booked the Aubergue for September. I am not quite sure how it all works as I didn't think it could be booked. They asked for a bank transfer of the full amount. Happy to do it as am travelling solo. This will be my first night and I am very nervous about the exertion of the first day as I have some vertigo issues! After that I am going to trust the Camino and hope that if I slightly alter the regular stages I will find a bed. I have no tent, sleeping mat or other fall back solution though! As a minor question, do you think a silk bag liner treated with permethrin will be enough to counter the bedbugs or should I take a light treated fitted sheet too? Am nervous as my daughter recently had a very severe reaction to bedbugs in a home stay in the USA.

I have booked the Aubergue for September. I am not quite sure how it all works as I didn't think it could be booked. They asked for a bank transfer of the full amount. Happy to do it as am travelling solo. This will be my first night and I am very nervous about the exertion of the first day as I have some vertigo issues! After that I am going to trust the Camino and hope that if I slightly alter the regular stages I will find a bed. I have no tent, sleeping mat or other fall back solution though! As a minor question, do you think a silk bag liner treated with permethrin will be enough to counter the bedbugs or should I take a light treated fitted sheet too? Am nervous as my daughter recently had a very severe reaction to bedbugs in a home stay in the USA.
I have emailed them as I am also going in September, solo, so wanted the reassurance that I would get a bed for the night, how long did they take to get back to you?

I assume he would be staying in the Albergue. Very few people stay elsewhere. It is also, like Orisson, a great way to meet people. There is no need to book; it is huge.
Kanga as you have stayed there before could you enlighten me about a sleeping bag, as they say on their website you need one, I had hoped not to be carrying one! And just making do with a silk liner)

Kanga as you have stayed there before could you enlighten me about a sleeping bag, as they say on their website you need one, I had hoped not to be carrying one! And just making do with a silk liner)

Annie,
The first time I stayed there the Albergue was in the main monastery complex, up several flights of stairs. It was cold as a brass monkey. You needed a fur rug, let alone a sleeping bag. The second time I stayed the Albergue had combined with the youth hostel and the heaters were on and it was too hot. The third time I stayed it was the old stone building below the roadway which was fine, although I did have a light sleeping bag. The current Albergue is back where I stayed the first time but it has been extensively refurbished so hopefully not glacially cold. I haven't stayed there since the renovations - last time I bypassed Roncesvalles and stayed in Burguette. So I can't really answer.
Mainly pilgrims are asked to use sleeping bags so they are not directly on the mattresses, but a sleeping sheet does that anyway.

Last edited:
Annie,

All they really want is a protection between your body and the mattress. A liner will do. No one will look at what exactly you do have.

Kanga,

The new "Hiltonesque" albergue in the renovated old youth hostel space closes in November for the winter when smaller facilities are used; not much heat, however.

MM

€83,-
Annie,
The first time I stayed there the Albergue was in the main monastery complex, up several flights of stairs. It was cold as a brass monkey. You needed a fur rug, let alone a sleeping bag. The second time I stayed the Albergue had combined with the youth hostel and the heaters were on and it was too hot. The third time I stayed it was the old stone building below the roadway which was fine, although I did have a light sleeping bag. The current Albergue is back where I stayed the first time but it has been extensively refurbished so hopefully not glacially cold. I haven't stayed there since the renovations - last time I bypassed Roncesvalles and stayed in Burguette. So I can't really answer.
Mainly pilgrims are asked to use sleeping bags so they are not directly on the mattresses, but a sleeping sheet does that anyway.
thank you so much

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annie,

All they really want is a protection between your body and the mattress. A liner will do. No one will look at what exactly you do have.

Kanga,

The new "Hiltonesque" albergue in the renovated old youth hostel space closes in November for the winter when smaller facilities are used; not much heat, however.

MM
thank you so much

AnnieY I will be there on Sep 1. Perhaps we will meet but I suspect not with a three week GAO. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Without a doubt for me it has always been and shall be Roncesvalles where I have had nine exhausted but memorable stops during nine caminos. Staying there one senses history in the continuous monastic tradition of welcome to all.

January 2009 I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery of Roncesvalles! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I was the only pilgrim staying in the old winter albergue.

The monk who stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction for pilgrims. It was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time. ...

Margaret Meredith

Margaret:
That has to have been truly memorable! The conditions you endured to get there also must have made it even more meaningful.
Robert J. Fernandez

Margaret Meredith

Lovely post Margaret. Worth quoting again so people understand the place.

Just a couple of points.
The big newish Albergue has an elevator, thru a door at the end of the Dorm rooms. They don't advertise it.
The pilgrims dinner at the Albergue restaurant is a bit of a scramble, and altho adequate, the general opinion was that it left a bit to be desired. And that was a shame because I was looking forward to the famous Basque meal of baked whole trout.
Folks 'in the know' were pre booking dinner at one of the other establishments. You MUST book in advance apparently.
Regds
Gerard

I will definitely be staying at Roncesvalles. I studied medieval history at university and I had to read the Song of Roland, the 11th century French epic poem about the battle of Roncesvalles in 778, more than once. Therefore I could not possibly pass up the opportunity to spend a night at Roncesvalles - it's one of the places I am most excited about seeing on the Camino.

We are staying at the hotel in an apartment. I have booked our first 3 nights on the Camino so we know we have a bed and we can assess just how we are feeling - then we will take it from there! The buffet breakfast is pricey but it might be a good option to consider. We will have a kitchen area so we could prepare a simple dinner as an alternative. Is there somewhere we could buy a few basics? Thanks for the advice.

Just a couple of points.
The big newish Albergue has an elevator, thru a door at the end of the Dorm rooms. They don't advertise it.
The pilgrims dinner at the Albergue restaurant is a bit of a scramble, and altho adequate, the general opinion was that it left a bit to be desired. And that was a shame because I was looking forward to the famous Basque meal of baked whole trout.
Folks 'in the know' were pre booking dinner at one of the other establishments. You MUST book in advance apparently.
Regds
Gerard

Is there a decent place for dinner in Roncesvalles?

We are staying at the hotel in an apartment. ... Is there somewhere we could buy a few basics? Thanks for the advice.

In the monastery complex of Roncesvalles there is NO shop for food as such. On the ground floor of the pilgrim albergue there are vending machines which sell food items.

MM

Is there a decent place for dinner in Roncesvalles?

Besides the inexpensive pilgrims' dinner which must be booked in advance three restaurants at Roncesvalles have a separate regular menu. Those restaurants are within the La Posada, Casa Sabrina and the Hotel Roncesvalles.

Over the years I have eaten at both La Posada and Casa Sabrina; my preference is for La Posada.

MM

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
To the OP, the obvious question for me is why stay in Orrison? Why not go through to Roncevalles on the first day?
The walk to Orrison is extremely brief and would have driven me crazy staying for the rest of the day. We had a wonderful stay in Roncevalles and it was a great start to our camino.

To the OP, the obvious question for me is why stay in Orrison? Why not go through to Roncevalles on the first day?
The walk to Orrison is extremely brief and would have driven me crazy staying for the rest of the day. We had a wonderful stay in Roncevalles and it was a great start to our camino.

I think the most obvious answer to that question is: different folks, different strokes.

Also, I wouldn't regard the walk to Orisson as being extremely brief. Certainly, by the time I settled into the Camino, anything less than 20 kms felt like a short day, but on that first day, I was quite glad when I saw Orisson looming in the near-distance. Yes, it is 'only' 8 km from St Jean and the incline becomes more pronounced beyond that point, but I recall feeling that climb in my legs and being more than happy to split the walk. I stayed in Roncesvalles the next night and didn't feel at all disadvantaged.

As others have alluded to above, I see two potential pluses to stopping at Orisson, depending upon the individual - 1. It helps to ease your body into the walk, thus helping to avoid little strains and injuries that could come back to haunt you further on, and 2. It's a great way to meet fellows pilgrims at the start of the walk and make those personal connections that help to make the Camino as special as it is.

Over the years I have eaten at both La Posada and Casa Sabrina; my preference is for La Posada.

MM

My vote is for La Posada too. Possibly an emotional attachment because of a great hot bean and beef cassoulet on a freezing night after an exhausting walk and a cold shower (on my first Camino).

I think the most obvious answer to that question is: different folks, different strokes.

Also, I wouldn't regard the walk to Orisson as being extremely brief. Certainly, by the time I settled into the Camino, anything less than 20 kms felt like a short day, but on that first day, I was quite glad when I saw Orisson looming in the near-distance. Yes, it is 'only' 8 km from St Jean and the incline becomes more pronounced beyond that point, but I recall feeling that climb in my legs and being more than happy to split the walk. I stayed in Roncesvalles the next night and didn't feel at all disadvantaged.

As others have alluded to above, I see two potential pluses to stopping at Orisson, depending upon the individual - 1. It helps to ease your body into the walk, thus helping to avoid little strains and injuries that could come back to haunt you further on, and 2. It's a great way to meet fellows pilgrims at the start of the walk and make those personal connections that help to make the Camino as special as it is.
In my case I stayed and walked around St Jean in the morning and went to the grocery store and then left up the hill ( mountain)... Arriving at Orisson at the perfect time.
Coming in from the States late this was an enjoyable morning. I was so fortunate to share it with " Black Dog" from this forum.

In my case I stayed and walked around St Jean in the morning and went to the grocery store and then left up the hill ( mountain)... Arriving at Orisson at the perfect time.
Coming in from the States late this was an enjoyable morning. I was so fortunate to share it with " Black Dog" from this forum.

Around what time did you leave St. Jean, and around what time did you reach Orisson ? We are also planning to do the same, walk in the morning and possibly see the market in St. Jean, and then head to Orisson around noon. I think there is a farmers market in St. Jean on Mondays, which is the day we intend to start The Camino. We have reservations at the Orisson, so no rush for us to try to find a bed there.

€46,-
As tough as it was for me to get to Orrisson, I don't regret it one bit! I met two wonderful couples, and even though they are in better shape and most likely won't meet again on the Camino, but who says our paths won't once again cross.

Canuck, your preference is yours...each pilgrim must walk their own Camino.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum

As tough as it was for me to get to Orrisson, I don't regret it one bit! I met two wonderful couples, and even though they are in better shape and most likely won't meet again on the Camino, but who says our paths won't once again cross.

Canuck, your preference is yours...each pilgrim must walk their own Camino.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
Of course, and I was not saying that there should be only one way.
The OP asked a question and it was merely another option that I gave based on our experience. Isn't that what it's all about? Hearing different options when you ask a question?

I *personally* found that the second day was tougher and it was interesting that the OP was thinking of a very short first day and then wanting to really lengthen the 2nd day.
I also met many folks who stayed in Orrison who met great people and walked the entire way with them. As you say, each must do their own and I didn't mean to sound like I was giving "The One And Only Way". If, for whatever reason, you took my expression of our experience as one that I insist others would also experience, I apologize. I sincerely tried to ensure I worded it in such a way as to give our experience rather than saying that someone else would find the same results.

I really enjoyed my night at Orisson, as previously mentioned I stayed behind in St Jean and window shopped, hit the grocery and enjoyed a nice late afternoon or early afternoon walk to Orisson. Had I arrived at Orisson at 10 am or 11 am I might have a different opinion. By the time Black Dog (forum member) and I got to it almost everyone had checked in and was sitting out welcoming us.
I can easily say he (very fit) and I were exhausted upon reaching it. I had a very long flight to get to St Jean and wonder why I struggled so much with getting to Orisson.

I can walk with the best of them (did 52 km on the Inglais a few weeks back) in one day, BUT elevations do take their toll on me.
Endurance wise nothing really scares me but just the thought of my trip over the mountain exhaust me greatly :)

Thanks.
Well i do not know if it is your case, but being a Roman Catholic, did the Camino mainly for religious purposes in 2010 , i left St.Jean at around 10:30 i arrived pooped out at 20:30... missing the pellegrino Mass at 20:00 with a special blessing to the peregrines attending... This year i am trying to start earlier to get there on time. for mass. Roncisvalle's accommodations ....and trout dinner... is something that is nice to remember... nice medieval surroundings and atmosphere... i would not miss it ... besides i think i would not be able to do more in a day. especially in the first week's Camino... this to me was the hardest part of the whole Camino not being very trained and with way too much stuff in my backpack (i was the one with the heaviest backpack 19,5 kg!) and so started off wrong with a lot of blisters...i had to send stuff back home (tent is useless) and other stuff to Santiago post office to get a good "light" load...that permitted me to complete the Camino.

I'm back home now. I am SO GLAD I STOPPED AT RONCESVALLES!!!!! It is truly a spiritual place. The albergue is very nice and the hostpitalerros were great. We even had the one with the guitar leading us in singing "Morning Has Broken" as we put our boots on. I went to the mass, which was a real moving experience.

I really got a kick out of the hospitalerros coming through at 6:00 AM turning on the lights and announcing "The Camino Awaits You".

Last year, after pilgrim's mass, we have the privilege of a visit to the old monastery, guided by the officiant (was he the abad? not sure). It was very interesting. Another motive for staying there.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back