• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles worrying

Nancy walker

Time of past OR future Camino
First time starting 22nd Sept 16 from St Jean Pied
Hello,

I'm due to start my camino from SJPP on 22nd September. I'm staying a night at Orisson.... Then into Roncesvalles.

I'm worrying, probably unnecessary.... but where do you sleep in Roncesvalles?! And do I need to book a meal there or something? Don't want to come down off the mountain exhausted and find I can't get a meal and some sleep!

This is just one of my camino worries! Pre camino nerves methinks... I'm mainly worried that I'm unfit and and going to be too exhausted to function.

Saying that, I can't wait to set off ;-)

Nancy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,

I'm due to start my camino from SJPP on 22nd September. I'm staying a night at Orisson.... Then into Roncesvalles.

I'm worrying, probably unnecessary.... but where do you sleep in Roncesvalles?! And do I need to book a meal there or something? Don't want to come down off the mountain exhausted and find I can't get a meal and some sleep!

This is just one of my camino worries! Pre camino nerves methinks... I'm mainly worried that I'm unfit and and going to be too exhausted to function.

Nancy
Here are a few links that will give you lots of information on where to stay.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino_frances_in_navarra

http://www.rayyrosa.com/albergues/camino-frances

Nancy, I walked the Camino from St. Jean to Santiago last September. Apart from my reservations in Bayonne, France, and Madrid, Spain, I had no reservations on the entire route. Roncesvalles is expecting you. They have been expecting Pilgrims for over a thousand years. They have a lot of beds. I slept in the overflow area in a "shipping container" with an Estonian, Dane, American from Georgia, and 4 Spaniards because the main dorm in the monastery was full. We became good friends and we crossed paths many times during the next month. If you arrive at Roncesvalles before I did, 5:30 pm, you will have a better chance of getting a bed in the Monastery. With regard to dinner. I ate with a lovely group of new friends in the posh-looking restaurant in the Monastery at a bargain price, no reservations required. We walked over to La Posada to get a drink and learned that they had a marvelous dinner available over there too. I don't know of anyone who did not get a bed or a meal that night. A lot of this journey you are undertaking is based on faith and trust. If you approach each day with a completely open mind, without conditions, and open your heart to making friends, I would trust you will be taken care of, as I was. Even the one night I did sleep out, because the only albergue was full, it was in the fine company of an Englishman and 3 Scots on the porch of the Dutch Albergue in Monjardin. We were well taken care of, even outside, and allowed to use all the other facilities. Have a marvelous Pilgrimage, if that is your plan, or a marvelous long hike, if religion is not a priority.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Albergue at Roncesvalles is huge, with almost 200 beds. If needed, they have additional spaces in a camping area. They accept reservations
http://www.alberguederoncesvalles.com/reservas.php
When you arrive the hospitaleros offer you tickets for one of the existing restaurants; I found this a bit odd. Anyway, most pilgrims accept this option, so it is good for meeting people. They even organize turns. I suppose you can also dine on your own, and order from the menu, but in another, separated area.
There is another restaurant: it looks good, and the prices are not too expensive.
Note that there is a big, good kitchen in the albergue, with microwaves, and you can buy some packaged food in the selling machine. Not that I recommend that, but it is an option. The machines also sell coffee, candies, cereal bars, and "mini guides".
It is a minuscule place, you cant´t be lost.
Buen camino!

Hello,

Nancy

Nancy
No worries it will be a very fun experience. Tired people from throughout the world, all getting into a groove. Don't forget to keep a journal as it is interesting the changes in the group as days & weeks pass. More importantly will be the effect it will have on you.
Buen Camino
Keith

... i am in the week before you 16thSept and there seems to be something going on that weekend as all the hotels have been booked for months .... I have decided to walk 2km onto Burguete and booked only a few days ago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you people of the forum. I have to say, I feel incredibly reassured after reading your posts. I think I just need something to be nervous about. I know that once I am there, I will be so stuck into doing the camino and talking to people that all of these worries will fall away. Thank you.

As others have said, the Roncesvalles place has been redone in recent years and it's enormous. You can do it in one go from SJPD and then onto Pamplona the next day. I think Roncesvalles to Pamp is one of my favorite walks, especially knowing that all those good pinchos await in Pamp.

You'll find plenty of other things to worry about on the Camino. Like snoring. :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

Nancy
You might want to order the guidebook published by the Confraternity of St. James also. It gives the basics including how many beds there are in the albergues. www.csj.org.uk/

Hello Nancy,

If you are starting the day in Orisson, don't be surprised if upon arriving in Roncesvalles, you will feel like walking more! I can recommend a nice family run private albergue about 6 km from Roncesvalles in a pretty Basque village of ESPINAL (Aurizberri), where I stayed once, and I believe the homemade food they served for supper was much better than what I could get in Roncesvalles on another occasion.

The link to albergue webpage: Albergue Irugoienea
The link to Eroski webpage (in Spanish): Albergue Irugoienea

albergue-irugoienea.jpg

Once you are down in Roncesvalles, and feel like walking more, you can call them and reserve the bed (I believe the daughter of the owner speaks English). But I don't think that at the end of September it is necessary to book. For me it was a great experience to stay the first night in Spain in a nice Basque house with a few other pilgrims, rather than with the crowds in Roncesvalles.

This way or another - Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,

Nancy
I was there last night and was impressed. Yes, it is large, but very well run. The beds are in "pods" of two bunk beds, and each bed has a locker. The showers there are fantastic, and laundry is wonderful with a centrifuge to spin dry clothes before hanging get out the line. Or you can have your clothing washed, dried, and folded. The only negative was the meals, especially after the exemplary dinner at Orisson.

And some of these places just a few km past Roncesvalles even offer you transport back to go to the pilgrims mass! Buen Camino, SY

You will be in good company, there are a number of us starting of on the 22nd. There is four in our party staying at Orisson that first day so when we head off we Roncevalles, we shall all wonder together where we shall stay ...lol. We will be ok and so will you :) Buen Camino !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not confirmed my start date but will be around this time, hence not been able to book into Orrison which I think would be the sensible option. Trouble being around this time I'm sure Orrison will be fully booked so my choices will be limited. Bar this possible beast of a first day I'm determined to go with the flow.
I'm sure you will be fine Nancy, our paths like with many others may cross. Buen Camino.

Lots of good info above in relation to your queries.
This may give you a taste of what's in store.
Part 1
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...the-mountain-part-1-st-jean-to-orisson.23398/
Part 2
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...untain-…part-2-orisson-to-roncesvalles.23525/

Good travelling & Buen Camino
Gerard
Thanks so much for sharing the account of your first 2 days Gerard - brilliant writing! I head off in about 20 days, not nearly as trained up as I'd hoped and day 2 scaring the me silly! But after reading your story, I'm feeling much more at ease about it. Thanks again!

I would remind nervous nellies due to head off soon that millions of pilgrims have accomplished what you have set yourselves to do.
And there are a terrible lot of us who dearly wish we could be with you.
Good footware, a light pack, and an initial moderate pace, will ensure your Camino gets off to a fine start.
Ultreia!
Good travelling and Buen Camino
Gerard

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If I were you, I would book a bed in Roncesvalles now.
You can do it online and pay via Paypal.
I saw many pilgrims turned away this year - and it seems to be a craps shoot depending on the day.

Hello,

Nancy
Please do not worry at all. The gite in roncevalles has 400 beds and all the facilitied for washing , eating and sleepling

On camino the first thing you have to learn is to leave your fears at home. Just enjoy the walk , be with yourself and the meeting other persons
Bon Camino. Jose

Hello,

Nancy
Hi Nancy,

I started in SJPP a few days ago. (Currently in Puente la Reina. There's a wonderful hosperteria there. You can choose to stay in the hotel in the same facility. (I opted for the hotel after the arduous climb from SJPP.) Don't worry. There are lots of beds available in Roncevalles(and at least as far as Puente la Reina!). Buen Camino! Bill

Nancy, one thing to note: your first day's walk to Orisson is not very long but it is quite steep. I recommend that you take your time, walk slowly and take a few breaks along the way. There's a nice opportunity for coffee at the gite at Huntto. When you stop, take off your pack and, if you're like me, take off your boots and socks. Moist feet = bad; dry feet = good! Be gentle with your feet if you haven't hardened them in training. Treat any hot spots as soon as you feel them with some moleskin or similar adhesive tape. There used to be a saying in the navy: "Outward bound, don't run aground" In other words, don't wreck yourself on the first day! The second day, from Orisson, will still be a significant climb but mostly at a gentler slope. On the downhill section you will cross a road not too far down from the ridge line. Here is the place on Google Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.0256...hcUl1fHZ4fBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
You can continue down the marked camino which leads steeply down through the woods or turn right and take the slightly longer (maybe an extra kilometer or so) route along the road. The road is quite a bit gentler in slope, with surer footing and has some nice scenic views. You will likely find, at least at the start of your camino, that steep downhill can be just as challenging as the uphill bits. It can be very hard on knees and toes (head and shoulders too!). If it has been raining, the walk in the woods can also be quite slippery and muddy. But, as they say, "It's all good!" You will likely be well ahead of the major herd starting in SJPP so, even if you are a slow walker, you should be one of the early arrivals in Roncesvalles. There will be no problem at all in finding a bed. Once you've got your bed sorted, organize yourself into one of the supper sittings at one of the restaurants as others have mentioned above and then go shopping at the discarded items table. The Dutch crew at the albergue will take good care of you.....suggest you learn how to say "thank-you" in Dutch! There is also a nice mass in the church which you may want to attend.
You are walking at a great time of the year, you have a good plan and you should have a marvellous experience. ¡Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Nancy, one thing to note: your first day's walk to Orisson is not very long but it is quite steep. I recommend that you take your time, walk slowly and take a few breaks along the way. There's a nice opportunity for coffee at the gite at Hontas (sp?) When you stop, take off your pack and, if you're like me, take off your boots and socks. Moist feet = bad; dry feet = good! Be gentle with your feet if you haven't hardened them in training. Treat any hot spots as soon as you feel them with some moleskin or similar adhesive tape. There used to be a saying in the navy: "Outward bound, don't run aground" In other words, don't wreck yourself on the first day! The second day, from Orisson, will still be a significant climb but mostly at a gentler slope. On the downhill section you will cross a road not too far down from the ridge line. Here is the place on Google Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.0256...hcUl1fHZ4fBQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en
You can continue down the marked camino which leads steeply down through the woods or turn right and take the slightly longer (maybe an extra kilometer or so) route along the road. The road is quite a bit gentler in slope, with surer footing and has some nice scenic views. You will likely find, at least at the start of your camino, that steep downhill can be just as challenging as the uphill bits. It can be very hard on knees and toes (head and shoulders too!). If it has been raining, the walk in the woods can also be quite slippery and muddy. But, as they say, "It's all good!" You will likely be well ahead of the major herd starting in SJPP so, even if you are a slow walker, you should be one of the early arrivals in Roncesvalles. There will be no problem at all in finding a bed. Once you've got your bed sorted, organize yourself into one of the supper sittings at one of the restaurants as others have mentioned above and then go shopping at the discarded items table. The Dutch crew at the albergue will take good care of you.....suggest you learn how to say "thank-you" in Dutch!
You are walking at a great time of the year, you have a good plan and you should have a marvellous experience. ¡Buen Camino!

As we are first time trekkers(Sept.22) ... this is very sound advice which we shall heed...Thank You Gillean !! Buen Camino !

Hello,

Nancy

Remember these names, Joan, Bill, Rachele and Chad ... we will be traveling right along with you from SJPP on the 22nd and a stop at Orisson and then the next day to Roncevalles if you don't mind :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nancy, when you get to Roncesvalles, you might appreciate this like I did. At the desk where you register, they have these signs posted all over the desk that reads "Don't Panic." It made me feel like they understood us pilgrims!

I felt no different than you about both my really first night on the Camino in Roncesvalles and about the first day over the Pyrenees, which I now know is fairly typical of many first time pilgrims.

The monastery was a little of a worrysome and unknown for me, and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. We got there in the afternoon and there was quite a crowd standing in line for a bed. I had a feeling we would be turned down by the number of people there, but we got great beds on the third floor in our own little cubicles. The place was spotless and the people that volunteer there were very friendly and helpful, as most had been pilgrims themselves. My understanding is that no one is turned away, and if you are not in the peak season there should be no issue. As others have mentioned, there are several choices for places to eat next to the monastery.

On my first day out of SJPDP I was a little nervous. As it turned out, there were some people trekking faster than me, and some slower, there were old, young, fit, and not so fit. Some of those that were faster, I saw days later with foot and knee injuries, blisters, etc. Just remember to go at your own pace because it is not a race. Remember too that this is the hardest section of the Camino Francis and every section after this might be challenging, but not as difficult as this section. Wow, the feeling you will experience at the end is hard to describe and knowing what you've achieved will be a wonderful feeling!

Buen Camino

image.jpeg image.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Someone posted
You can do it in one go from SJPD and then onto Pamplona the next day.

If you do that, for you,the Camino will be over very quickly, unless you've just come back from Rio and have been competing in the Olympics.

You can do the SJPdP in one day with an early start. But to do two stages of the Brierley guide in one day would be pushing it.

As many people have pointed out, it's not a race and"It's your Camino" and do it at whatever speed you want but I'd recommend spending time having a look round SJPdP and then a "leisurely" stroll to Orisson. The staff, the ambience, the food and drink make it a very pleasant stop.

The fact that you will have a head start the following morning over those doing SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one hop mean that you have no worries about getting a bed.

Make sure when booking in and paying for your bed, evening meal and breakfast that you get all the tickets! I am sure that I missed out on my breakfast at Roncesvalles because the receptionist was distracted by the phone as she was booking me in.

You really will have the time of your life.

Nancy, I walked the Camino from St. Jean to Santiago last September. Apart from my reservations in Bayonne, France, and Madrid, Spain, I had no reservations on the entire route. Roncesvalles is expecting you. They have been expecting Pilgrims for over a thousand years. They have a lot of beds. I slept in the overflow area in a "shipping container" with an Estonian, Dane, American from Georgia, and 4 Spaniards because the main dorm in the monastery was full. We became good friends and we crossed paths many times during the next month. If you arrive at Roncesvalles before I did, 5:30 pm, you will have a better chance of getting a bed in the Monastery. With regard to dinner. I ate with a lovely group of new friends in the posh-looking restaurant in the Monastery at a bargain price, no reservations required. We walked over to La Posada to get a drink and learned that they had a marvelous dinner available over there too. I don't know of anyone who did not get a bed or a meal that night. A lot of this journey you are undertaking is based on faith and trust. If you approach each day with a completely open mind, without conditions, and open your heart to making friends, I would trust you will be taken care of, as I was. Even the one night I did sleep out, because the only albergue was full, it was in the fine company of an Englishman and 3 Scots on the porch of the Dutch Albergue in Monjardin. We were well taken care of, even outside, and allowed to use all the other facilities. Have a marvelous Pilgrimage, if that is your plan, or a marvelous long hike, if religion is not a priority.
Excellent, accurate advice!!!!!Dont worry!Go with the flow! You are going to love this!!!

Hello,

Nancy
Nancy, Will be starting one day ahead of you. I am sure we will meet on the way.

Buen Camino, I too have the pre camino jitters but am sure it will all work out

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Nancy
Steve and I leave on the 20th and have some of the same novice worry ;)

In fact, I have a question for you regarding booking Orisson. Did you do this via their website? How long did it take to get a reply? I understand they take a while, but getting a little nervous after a couple of days as I don't think we will be fit enough (dodgy knees) to go from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one go.

Buen Camino, and maybe see you along The Way.

Julie

Asothers have said, reservations are the least of concerns. I started my first Camino last week on Aug 24/16. I survived the first 10 km out of SJPP and had to stay at Orrison. You will love it there. Orrison is placed in Heaven and run by angels.

Two major concerns for anyone doing any Camino.

1) if you think your pack is not heavy, you are likely wrong.

2) Conditioning - Walking 10 k a week or even a day at home may not prepare a person for the first day's climb of close to 800 m in 10 km. It may also not prepare one for the descent to Roncesvalles. After the final climb from Orrison, about 600 m, the descent us about 700 or 800 m.

Few live in areas where they can truly work on the strengths that will be called upon on the Camino.

Finally, the most honest, and for some, the scariest reality of the Camino is it will find any weakness, physical or mental.

After only three days, my left leg has developed a pinched nerve and I can no longer walk. My Camino is over. I took buses from Zubiri to Santiago overnight and am writing from the Hotel Capital Galicia, resting before I take my Mother's ashes to Fisterra tomorrow and place them in the sea. That was the purpose of my Camino. Tomorrow it will be completed.

Asothers have said, reservations are the least of concerns. I started my first Camino last week on Aug 24/16. I survived the first 10 km out of SJPP and had to stay at Orrison. You will love it there. Orrison is placed in Heaven and run by angels.

2) Conditioning - Walking 10 k a week or even a day at home may not prepare a person for the first day's climb of close to 800 m in 10 km. It may also not prepare one for the descent to Roncesvalles. After the final climb from Orrison, about 600 m, the descent us about 700 or 800 m.

Few live in areas where they can truly work on the strengths that will be called upon on the Camino.

Finally, the most honest, and for some, the scariest reality of the Camino is it will find any weakness, physical or mental.

After only three days, my left leg has developed a pinched nerve and I can no longer walk. My Camino is over. I took buses from Zubiri to Santiago overnight and am writing from the Hotel Capital Galicia, resting before I take my Mother's ashes to Fisterra tomorrow and place them in the sea. That was the purpose of my Camino. Tomorrow it will be completed.
You will be able to access the ocean in Finnesterre, but if your bus goes to the lighthouse with a pinched nerve it is a very steep & far decent to the ocean.
Blessings to you & your mothers soul.
Keith

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My husband and I are leaving SJPdP Sept. 19, staying at Orisson that night. I made reservations about six months ago, and it did take them a few days to get back to me. I was sent an invoice and used PayPal to pay the required deposit. I appreciate all the encouraging words I hear on this forum from veteran pilgrims. Thank you all for sharing the lessons you learned. It is possible that we may see some of you leaving around the same time we are. Our plan is 38 days, two rest days included. Since we are doing other traveling we are having one bag shipped to Santiago, and one transported from town to town with us. Glad that these services exist.

I well remember Roncesvalle as our first night of not booking (3 Sept last year). We were really tired and it was about 6:30 pm when we arrived. I could hardly put words together. Gratefully we were guided and supported by the hospitalleros. And there were beds for us in the cabins!! Sometime I'd like to go back and stay in the main part. I did go to the mass. I could barely stand up - and I truly felt like a pilgrim. The pilgrim meal afterwards was special. The start of so many special memories.

Here's the thing....the walk from SJPd to Roncesvalles isn't easy. However, stopping in Orisson will make it a lot simpler. I went the entire way when I walked this past May and if I were to do it again I would stop in Orisson. Keep this in mind. It's walking....just put one foot in front of the other. Take your time. Stop when you need a rest Don't rush. Rushing is what the Camino let's you leave behind. Leaving from Orisson means you will probably arrive early enough in Roncesvalles to get a bed in the main building. That's a huge plus. The "containers' outside the building are not good. I had to stay there and it ended up being my least favorite overnight of the entire Camino. The beds in the main building (from pics above) look wonderful. Have a great time. The Camino will provide all you need.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My husband and I are leaving SJPdP Sept. 19, staying at Orisson that night. I made reservations about six months ago, and it did take them a few days to get back to me. I was sent an invoice and used PayPal to pay the required deposit. I appreciate all the encouraging words I hear on this forum from veteran pilgrims. Thank you all for sharing the lessons you learned. It is possible that we may see some of you leaving around the same time we are. Our plan is 38 days, two rest days included. Since we are doing other traveling we are having one bag shipped to Santiago, and one transported from town to town with us. Glad that these services exist.

Hi Catherine- thanks for the reply. I have just had a reply from Orisson. All booked :)

We will be leaving one day behind you, staying SJPdP on the 19th and Orisson on the 20th. I suspect we will take around 37-38 days. We will be dropping our car/bags off in Santiago first too as traveling long term.

Really excited now, just want to get started. And very much appreciate all the advice on this forum.

Hi Nancy
Steve and I leave on the 20th and have some of the same novice worry ;)

In fact, I have a question for you regarding booking Orisson. Did you do this via their website? How long did it take to get a reply? I understand they take a while, but getting a little nervous after a couple of days as I don't think we will be fit enough (dodgy knees) to go from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one go.

Buen Camino, and maybe see you along The Way.

Julie

Hello, Yes I booked via their website... they were a bit slow to get back to me.... say a few weeks or so... I guess they're very busy!

Can't wait to meet you all!! Nancy

€149,-
Hello,

Nancy

Dyan and I will be starting on the 22nd of Sept. from SJPP. I am very out of shape and know that I will be walking very very slow. Spending the night in Orisson also, to help break up that challenging climb over.

Looking forward to meeting you there.

Debra

dear Mooncat hola, I too am setting out for the first time and plan to go, free in complete faith and trust I shall be taken care of .. your words nevertheless, are balm to my heart.. very inspiring, reassuring, thank you

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
dear Mooncat hola, I too am setting out for the first time and plan to go, free in complete faith and trust I shall be taken care of .. your words nevertheless, are balm to my heart.. very inspiring, reassuring, thank you

Dear Olga, I hope you have a marvelous Camino. There are many people in the same situation, traveling alone, so there will be many people asking the same questions, looking for people to eat with, looking to exchange stories. Tell us how it goes.

The albergue in Ronces is enormous and a bit chilly. Bring earplugs if snoring keeps you awake and an eye-mask if you can't sleep with lights on (they don't turn the emergency beams off). It was the most expensive albergue I stayed in during my Camino, which is a little absurd given the conditions, but it's well worth it to spend a night with virtually every single pilgrim you met on the mountain!

My complaint about the conditions is more a result of having walked the Le Puy route through France beforehand... Those French B&Bs spoiled me big time!

Buen Camino :)

Hello, Yes I booked via their website... they were a bit slow to get back to me.... say a few weeks or so... I guess they're very busy!

They just don't have Internet connection up there! Someone deals with all the bookings down in the town for them :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The albergue in Ronces is enormous and a bit chilly. Bring earplugs if snoring keeps you awake and an eye-mask if you can't sleep with lights on (they don't turn the emergency beams off). It was the most expensive albergue I stayed in during my Camino, which is a little absurd given the conditions, but it's well worth it to spend a night with virtually every single pilgrim you met on the mountain!

My complaint about the conditions is more a result of having walked the Le Puy route through France beforehand... Those French B&Bs spoiled me big time!

Buen Camino :)
The dinner at Orisson and at Corazon Puro the night before spoiled me for food on the Camino. The dinner at Roncesvalles was a bit disappointing to say the least.

So sorry to hear this, Michelle. What a blow, to have to stop so soon. I hope your trip out to Fisterra went well and the experience brought you some comfort. It is good you were able to undertake this meaningful element of your Camino despite having to stop walking. Have a safe journey home.

The monastery was a little of a worrysome and unknown for me, and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise.
The beds are in "pods" of two bunk beds, and each bed has a locker.
This was what I had thought the Albergue would be like, but am I missing something? There aren't 2 albergues, but where I was was very different. We were on the the ground floor, not far from the chapel--a room with a bunch of old bunk beds. I was repeatedly awakened in the night by a jet-lagged Korean peregrino who had the bunk above mine--he kept going out for a smoke. Certainly no luxurious pods as in your photo, Ted. (It was early March, so perhaps the new area was not yet open for the year?)
One thing that really surprised me was the large number of peregrinos in Roncesvalles, when there had been fewer than 10 of us leaving from SJPP. What I didn't know initially was that many people (including a large group from Korea) were starting their walk the next day and had arrived from Pamplona much earlier than those of us coming up from France on foot. But there was room, regardless....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This was what I had thought the Albergue would be like, but am I missing something?
I believe there is an old building, used now for overflow. Maybe you were put there, for some reason?

I stayed in the "new" building in October of 2014 and 2015, and it was very nice - modern fittings, cubicles of 4 beds (2 bunks) off a long aisle, excellent washroom, all very well managed.

The dinner at Orisson and at Corazon Puro the night before spoiled me for food on the Camino. The dinner at Roncesvalles was a bit disappointing to say the least.
@trecile:
I stayed at Roncesvalles, but I did not eat my evening meal in the restaurant for which the reception desk there was selling tickets. I had an excellent evening meal at La Posada restaurant, a few minutes walk away from the Roncesvalles albergue. I went over there after I had checked in at reception and put in my order for dinner. I ate at a large round table with the other pilgrims who had booked dinner there. It was an inexpensive menu peregrino, but very tasty and good company. I understand that the restaurant for which tickets are sold at reception is associated with the albergue. You do have to buy a breakfast ticket for there at reception, because pilgrims have to vacate the albergue by 8:00 am and breakfast is not served at La Posada until 9:00. There are long line-ups for breakfast and you may have to wait outside in the rain, as I did, and leave your pack out in the rain. If I go through there again, I may look for breakfast later in one of the villages along the route.

@trecile:
I stayed at Roncesvalles, but I did not eat my evening meal in the restaurant for which the reception desk there was selling tickets. I had an excellent evening meal at La Posada restaurant, a few minutes walk away from the Roncesvalles albergue. I went over there after I had checked in at reception and put in my order for dinner. I ate at a large round table with the other pilgrims who had booked dinner there. It was an inexpensive menu peregrino, but very tasty and good company. I understand that the restaurant for which tickets are sold at reception is associated with the albergue. You do have to buy a breakfast ticket for there at reception, because pilgrims have to vacate the albergue by 8:00 am and breakfast is not served at La Posada until 9:00. There are long line-ups for breakfast and you may have to wait outside in the rain, as I did, and leave your pack out in the rain. If I go through there again, I may look for breakfast later in one of the villages along the route.
I also ate at La Posada. Depending on what time you wanted dinner you were given a ticket for La Posada or the other restaurant. As I said, the food at Orisson and Corazon Puro really spoiled me. I loved dining with the other pilgrims, but we all felt that the food was a bit disappointing.

... I understand that the restaurant for which tickets are sold at reception is associated with the albergue. ...
Actually everything at Roncesvalles, the restaurants, the albergue, the bars depends and is connected to the Collegiata (roughly translated the monastery set-up of Roncesvalles). Roncesvalles is not a village in the classic sense but an ancient monastery with, from it dependent, services and outbuildings. Buen Camino, SY

2004%25202.JPG

Here is a modern print depicting Charlemagne mounted finding Roland dead in August 778 on what would later be known as the Valcarlos route near Roncevalles. (For a further description of this scene see this Roncevalles monastery history page) Hence the village of Valcarlos was named in honor of Carlos ie. Charlemagne. For more on the history and toponymy of the village see this Wikipedia entry in Spanish.
It may come as a surprise but the Valcarlos route was THE original medieval pilgrims' path through the mountain pass to Roncevalles; the present Napoleon camino over the mountains to Roncevalles is later.
@mspath, thank you for this link--it has a lot of information!
I believe there is an old building, used now for overflow. Maybe you were put there, for some reason?
Well, it was early in the year and so I suspect the main hostel was not yet open. Where we were was definitely 'aged!'

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ha ha, C. :D Oh, sorry...yes...well seasoned.
Well, it was definitely an 'into the deep end' introduction to albergue life, but I was too tired to care much. A bed is a bed is a bed.
It's a trade, I guess: off-season relative quiet and the old dorms, versus the multitudes and flasher accommodations. I'll take scruffy and quieter any day.

... i am in the week before you 16thSept and there seems to be something going on that weekend as all the hotels have been booked for months .... I have decided to walk 2km onto Burguete and booked only a few days ago.
Snap. 16th too and also walking on to Burguete, where are you hoping to stay there?

Hello,

Nancy
There are a couple of places you can book in Roncesvalles. We didn't and stayed in the monastery Albergue last night.
It was sold out on second and third of September. They say first two weeks of September are expected to be very busy.
When you get to the monastery albergue thy will sell you a bed dinner and breakfast at the same time if you wish.
I would leave Orisson as early as you can and think you'll be fine as you have a had start on everyone coming from SJPP.
Beun Camino!

As for breakfast, you can walk to Burguete (just half an hour) and there is a bar in the village that opens early -it is a very good business for them. It is in the main street, to your left (besides the church?), you can't miss it.
Or, if you organize yourself, there is a large kitchen and vending machines (but there is not a shop or supermarket in Ronc., it is a minuscule place).

Hello Nancy,

If you are starting the day in Orisson, don't be surprised if upon arriving in Roncesvalles, you will feel like walking more! I can recommend a nice family run private albergue about 6 km from Roncesvalles in a pretty Basque village of ESPINAL (Aurizberri), where I stayed once, and I believe the homemade food they served for supper was much better than what I could get in Roncesvalles on another occasion.

The link to albergue webpage: Albergue Irugoienea
The link to Eroski webpage (in Spanish): Albergue Irugoienea

albergue-irugoienea.jpg

Once you are down in Roncesvalles, and feel like walking more, you can call them and reserve the bed (I believe the daughter of the owner speaks English). But I don't think that at the end of September it is necessary to book. For me it was a great experience to stay the first night in Spain in a nice Basque house with a few other pilgrims, rather than with the crowds in Roncesvalles.

This way or another - Buen Camino!
Just the advice I was looking for! I was hoping to stay in the off- Brierley recommended stops/stages but worried that from Orisson where we will overnight, to Espinal the next day, might be too ambitious. After reading this, I will keep my reservation and walk on the extra 6km towards a quiet Casa Rural and hopefully good meal.

Unfortunately if you do not stop at Roncesvalles you will miss the evening pilgrim blessing.

Roncesvalles monastery itself has been welcoming pilgrims since the eleventh century. Do plan to attend the evening mass in the ancient Romanesque church and the traditional pilgrimage blessing; this is a meaningful and poignant way to begin your camino journey.

Buen Camino!

Just the advice I was looking for! I was hoping to stay in the off- Brierley recommended stops/stages but worried that from Orisson where we will overnight, to Espinal the next day, might be too ambitious. After reading this, I will keep my reservation and walk on the extra 6km towards a quiet Casa Rural and hopefully good meal.
Sorry not sure how fit you are but I had the same goal and after getting up the mountain I was happy to stop. You’ll probably be able to walk on but Roncesvalles is a good contingency plan.
Buen camino

€149,-
Unfortunately if you do not stop at Roncesvalles you will miss the evening pilgrim blessing.

Roncesvalles monastery itself has been welcoming pilgrims since the eleventh century. Do plan to attend the evening mass in the ancient Romanesque church and the traditional pilgrimage blessing; this is a meaningful and poignant way to begin your camino journey.

Buen Camino!
Message received. Thank you. I understand they also provide transfers back for mass. Will consider if we opt to walk on and know we can come back. Might also be a good way to "slowly come back to my catholic roots"

Sorry not sure how fit you are but I had the same goal and after getting up the mountain I was happy to stop. You’ll probably be able to walk on but Roncesvalles is a good contingency plan.
Buen camino
Agreed, and I'm worried the extra Kms may be too much. Have been trying to book a double room at the Roncevalles Hotel but they are slow to reply to emails. Looking forward to the Albergue experience, just not sure starting out in a room with 183 other pilgrims is the way I want to begin. In my head, that voice is saying "don't over-think it"

Agreed, and I'm worried the extra Kms may be too much. Have been trying to book a double room at the Roncevalles Hotel but they are slow to reply to emails. Looking forward to the Albergue experience, just not sure starting out in a room with 183 other pilgrims is the way I want to begin. In my head, that voice is saying "don't over-think it"

It's the middle of Winter there.
They will reply.
Took me a week or so to get a booking.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back