• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Roncesvalles

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Hi all,
We arrived back home on Monday to a wet and cold South Africa. It rains in springtime on the Inidan Ocen coast so we are still trying to get 'holiday' clothing washed and dried! (How mundane after walking el camino for over 5 weeks.)

If you are starting in Roncesvalles and arrive in the morning, it is worthwhile walking 3km up the road to the Ibaneta Pass where you can see the monument to Roland and stunning views into France.
This time around we were able to explore the monastery complex in Roncesvalles, take time for a tour and speak with the people who work there. When I expressed an interest in the mason signs in the stones, the curator of the museum spent some time showing me the remaining walls of the original hospice, which was demolished in the 1600’s, and pointed out some of the marked stones that were recycled to build the collegiate church. If you look left when walking up to the church, you will see an open field partially enclosed by an old stone wall. The cobbled street you walk on was built where the enclosing wall used to stand.
There is a lovely statue of Santiago Peregrino in the church with a faded painting of a Pelican underneath the statue. The Pelican legend was adopted into Christianity around the 2nd century and appears in the Physiologus, a Christian adaptation of popular animal legends and symbols.
According to the legend, in a time of famine a mother pelican would peck her own breast to draw blood to give to her chicks.
Thus the pelican symbol in Christianity, also called pelican-in-her-piety, symbolizes the sacrifice of Christ on the cross (because he gave his blood for others) as well as the Eucharist (because it represents Christ's blood and provides spiritual nourishment).
If you are vegetarian, or if you don’t eat fish and intend having the menu del peregrino at Casa Sabina, let them know when you book for your meal and they will prepare eggs or a salad. The meal for the past 6 weeks has been fresh water trout and french fries, shared salad, yoghurt, bread, wine and water - for 8 euro.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sil

A warm welcome back. You survived all the challenges - no doubt the richer and perhaps fitter with all of that healthy food and walking. :)

I'm off to StJdPP myself at the end of the month so your recommendation is very timely.

Best wishes

John

Good to hear from you again Sil, it was really nice to meet you and your husband in Santiago.

Sil told me that she was being recognized on the camino, by her South African flag. When they found out that she was "Sillydoll" they were really surprised. Sil is a "Rock Star" of the pilgrim community! ... and a lot of this is due to all of the good information that she is contributing with.

Thank you Sil !

Greetings from sunny and 17c Santiago,
Ivar

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Tak Ivar! I think "old crock star" is more like it! Thank you for taking time out to meet us at Suso's.
We went to see your Pension at No.30 and Finn took a photograph of me outside. It is in such a great position that I can't see how it can fail. Perhaps you should fill it with double bunks and turn it into an albergue del peregrinos instead!
Warm hugs from a sunny Durban-by-the-Sea.

That video is making the rounds... I've shown it to my students... they love it! It reminds me of how my high school boys behaved at the clubs in Madrid this summer... they thought they were SO cool! jajaja

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey Sil... I think I might've been in Santiago at the same time as you! I went on to Finisterre, then tumbled back to Santiago for three days of revelling. Hope you had a good un, I certainly did! There were highs and a few lows... but I did it!

I checked every stone pile along the way; every message centre; checked the notes pinned onto trees and painted onto stones - nothing from you! Our paths must have crossed in Santiago. Did you revel up and down Rua do Vilar at 2 in the morning? I thought I heard a Pommie accent outside our window!
Hope you had a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful walk Minkey.
Special hugs,
Sil

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back