• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Roof tour of the Cathedral

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
How far in advance should one book a roof tour?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How far in advance should one book a roof tour?
This link takes you to the ticket page. Just clicking on a few days in the near future, there are still lots of spaces available for Holy Week, so I imagine there is little need to book too far in advance at any time. I think I bought the day of the visit.

Not that you asked, but if you want to visit the Pórtico, and if you are more interested in a free ticket rather than the guided tour, those do get snapped up more quickly. They are available only 7 days ahead of time. I was able to get on last fall with a day´s notice, though.

We walked in and bought tickets in the summer for the roof tour and portico tour. My husband also did a special tour of the underground portions when they were still doing renovations. These were all guided tours in Spanish although I think our roof tour had an English speaking guide. We also bought a ticket to enter other portions of the cathedral and the museum portion and those were self-guided tours.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I purchased a ticket that included the roof top tour of the Cathedral and the Portico of Glory in Sept 2022. It was a wonderful experience but the tour is in Spanish. If you are not steady on your feet, roof top tour could be a little scary. There are no hand rails up there. I purchased my tickets at least one month ahead (aka August)

How far in advance should one book a roof tour
If you don't speak Spanish see if there is an English speaking tour, as the views and architecture are great, but we didn't understand what the guide had to say, and therefore it became pretty boring.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked into the museum ticket office at 9:45a on Oct. 18 2022 and bought a ticket for the 10a roof tour. Problem was that the guide spoke only Spanish, and I didn’t realize I’d bought the roof tour. Boy was I surprised! Amazing experience!

Attachments

• A40E2068-12F1-4362-B195-C6DB0FF87303.jpeg
    A40E2068-12F1-4362-B195-C6DB0FF87303.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 2235D05C-E6DB-41C8-BE32-F158181D82B9.jpeg
    2235D05C-E6DB-41C8-BE32-F158181D82B9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 41
  • 63CF3F30-A7D1-49CE-A59E-D29FC1BF37DB.jpeg
    63CF3F30-A7D1-49CE-A59E-D29FC1BF37DB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
If you don't speak Spanish see if there is an English speaking tour, as the views and architecture are great, but we didn't understand what the guide had to say, and therefore it became pretty boring.
I second looking for an English tour. We booked our tour the day before (I believe), but my companions, who did not speak Spanish, didn't get too much out of it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I booked TOO far in advance and because it was teaming down with rain on actual day of my reservation I had to forego the tour. In future I would delay booking until I had some idea of the weather forecast.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did the rooftop tour in 2018 with my daughter. The guide asked the group who spoke Spanish and no one raised their hand. We were all English speakers, so she did the tour in English. Thought that was nice.
My fear of heights came on strong up there, but another tour member and my daughter held my hands coming down that steep roof. Not sure if I want to do this again.

IMG_4432.JPGIMG_4446.JPGIMG_4449.JPGIMG_20220419_182335403.jpgIMG_4443-1.jpgIMG_20220419_185022816-1.jpg This was the second time I've done the rooftop tour (both times in Spanish). This trip featured high winds, a sudden rain squall just as we exited onto the balcony of the tower, and a rainbow. An elderly Spanish gentleman kindly took my 74 year old Aunt's arm, and would help her up and down the stepped roof areas. I don't like heights but I do love the view.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I purchased a ticket that included the roof top tour of the Cathedral and the Portico of Glory in Sept 2022. It was a wonderful experience but the tour is in Spanish. If you are not steady on your feet, roof top tour could be a little scary. There are no hand rails up there. I purchased my tickets at least one month ahead (aka August)
Thank you for your comments. I suffer from vertigo so I guess that this is not for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Needing to be steady on your feet.....I'll 2nd that......

Back