• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rooms in Bilbao June 2021

Paul Wilson

Time of past OR future Camino
I have just noticed a possible accommodation issue for anyone walking through Bilbao in June 2021
There are 3 major sports events involving the Spanish national football team taking place on the 14th, 19th and 23rd June at the San Mames stadium in Bilbao the stadium hold over 50,000 so anyone planning their Camino May wish to plan ahead to avoid Bilbao on these dates as I would imagine accommodation will be scarce on those dates

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have been to Bilbao 4 or 5 times always stayed in Mecure decent hotel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ah Bilbao. Have always headed to the Plaza Barria / Nuevo, handy for both the Abando & Concordia railway stations, though a bit of a schlep to Termibus / Bilbao Intermodal. A slow and very pleasant bar crawl has saved me the cost of an hotel room more than once. Plenty of benches under cover and the guys in the high-viz with the power-hoses will always wake you with a shake rather than a soaking.

I think any link between a possible football match and a possible pilgrimage in June 2021 is tenuous at best.

Had a flight from Bilbao in middle of June this year on the day after some big music festival. Hotels were 1000 euros +, so I booked a room in Santander and a busticket to Bilbao in the morning in time for my flight. The corona put an and to it all anyway , but expect prices to be high when special events occur in Bilbao.
Some other year I ended up in Punte la Reina after a walk through a part of GR654 and wanted to stay a night in San Sebastian before taking a train to Toulouse for my flight home. No rooms at all. Learned later that Brice Springsteen had a consert the same night. So special event might make problems.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have just noticed a possible accommodation issue for anyone walking through Bilbao in June 2021
There are 3 major sports events involving the Spanish national football team taking place on the 14th, 19th and 23rd June at the San Mames stadium in Bilbao the stadium hold over 50,000 so anyone planning their Camino May wish to plan ahead to avoid Bilbao on these dates as I would imagine accommodation will be scarce on those dates
I guess you suppose people will be willing to walk the Camino? Hopefully, I would if there is a vaccine and Spain allows people from North America/Canada tootravel?

When faced with a large event in a city on the Camino the easiest thing is to plan your stages to stay elsewhere.
I passed through Pamplona during San Fermín, but stayed in Cizur Menor, where I had a reservation at Albergue Maribel Roncal.

Good morning all, a few good observations came in overnight so let’s see
@peregrina2000 i think those involved will be looking to get as many as possible allowed to the events plus I think people will also go in the hope of getting in to the event
@nathanael yes I I think people will be walking, by June I think numbers of the virus will be on the “summer decline” plus with various vaccines in production people will feel more confident
@trecile good advice, the purpose of the post is to give pilgrims a “heads up” this could create a perfect storm for beds especially the 4th event which is yet to be announced but will fall the following week and will have an impact on those planning to arrive at SdC for the 25th July celebrations. Plus if there is anyone like me on the forum (and I’m pretty sure there is) I’m well into planning for May next year and will be looking at booking some key stops in the next few weeks so it’s good to know what you are walking in to. Buen camino mi amigos

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When faced with a large event in a city on the Camino the easiest thing is to plan your stages to stay elsewhere.
I passed through Pamplona during San Fermín, but stayed in Cizur Menor, where I had a reservation at Albergue Maribel Roncal.
Great albergue and even though it was almost 10 years ago I remember Marcel who tended to everyone’s feet. I had no blisters and being a rookie didn’t have much foot care knowledge. After she took care of the many walking wounded she spent a few minutes with me and gave me great foot care tips. Had a nice meal across the street with some other pilgrims. Fortunately I didn’t catch a flu that someone came down with in my room that night. That is not the albergue’s fault. Loved the garden and had such a good evening there. Haven’t been able to stay there my other two times on the CF.

Thank you!

As a final post script to this thread it has just been announced that the events previously planned for Bilbao in June will now be moved to Seville which if restrictions are lifted or eased soon should benefit pilgrims with less people vying for the same rooms, although I did like the sound of @Tincatinker option of a bench under cover as a regular camper this appeals to me, I may have to give it a try when I walk the Norte 👍

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.