• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rosary Beads

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Minkey said:
I've either had em stolen or I've lost them... Any idea where I can get some?

The last set of rosary beads I bought was in Brazil. I can give you more detailed info. on how to get there if you want :) They are wooden and have a very pilgrim look.

lillypond.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'll pop over there after work.

Weird question, I know, but seeing as I've never bought em before, I sought the assistance of the web, only to find that most were for 'fashion' which I thought was a little odd.

Minky - every roman catholic church has a lillte shop or stall where you can buy them - both rosary beads and rosary rings - and indeed the shop at the side of Westminster Cathedral will certainly have some. There are also beautiful wooden rosary beads produced by Tradecraft. Let me know if you want more info on that.

Happy praying :)

I would like to thank the members of the forum for promoting such an exiting site. The article is about the Catholic Marian devotion. A series of articles on Rosary,rosary.jpg, blessed virgin mary,devotions and spirituality.history of rosary,praying methods, rosary and sculpture, prayers and promises, power of rosary, writings, etc.
The praying of each decade is accompained by mediation on one of the Mysteried of the Rosary, which recall the life of Jesus Christ.

catholic rosary, rosaria

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Cromwell invaded Ireland in 1649 determined to stamp out Catholism (popish superstition). Catholics were evicted from their land and either killed or sent west of the Shannon. The penal Laws were introduced. Priests were outlaws. Many young men went to Salamanca in Spain or to Rome to be trained, but once they returned their was a price on their heads. Mass was celebrated way up the mountains on a rock, known as a Mass rock. lookouts would be posted looking in all directions in case the soldiers had seen some people slipping quietly up the mountains. During these times it was the rosary recited nightly in the little stone cabins that kept the Catholic faith alive in Ireland.

During my childhood we prayed five decades of the rosary each night. and all of us have kept faith.

Unfortunately none of us kept up the tradition with our own children. (I think that competition from the TV may have been the reason) and most of our children have fallen away.

Repeating the 'Hail Mary' is like a mantra as one meditates on each of the mysteries of our Christian faith, and thank God for his great love and goodness to us.

If you have not a rosary beads just use your fingers.

Lydia

Yes, secret Catholicism ....

Mary, Mary, quite contrary,

How does your garden grow?

With silver bells and cockle shells,

And pretty maids all in a row.

You can also try Etsy or Ebay... or if you'd like lightweight beads for carrying on the Camino you can try several of the "FREE FOR CATHOLICS" websites. Someone will send you a set for free.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wished I had taken up the offer of my parish priest who wanted to lend me a rosary for the camino. I kept getting lost trying to count on my fingers. But I got a nice one in the cathedral shop in Santiago. They have a lot of beautiful things there. Now I am ready for the next time, and meanwhile trying to say the rosary regularly.

I picked up a rosary in one of the shops In Santiago but I know for a fact you can buy them at Salisbury Cathedral. Many Catholic book shops in London will sell them as well as Westminster Cathedral. (I bet the Abbey sell them as well).

I have written my own liturgy to use while saying the rosary. It is a combination of the Methodist morning and evening prayer services, a Marian leaflet bought at London Colney and also contains Bible readings for each day.

I have had written it in a moleskin book and it is the only Christian book I carry on the Camino as it doubles as service book, a Bible and an aid to devotion.

It is written in Stephen's Registrar ink which is highly resistent to water.

Enough said I think.

The persecution of Catholics by the Protestant church in Britain is a stain on our history. As a Protestant minister I, for one, am very sorry it happened.

another great by-product of carrying a small rosary: When you want to be left alone, the very sight of the thing sends chatterboxes and Romeos and just about everyone else well away from where you are. People are respectful of your prayer time. Or they are careful not to be caught in the orbit of a Rosary-weilding Religion Person! :shock:

BTW, whatever happened to the witty Minkey, once so present in these parts?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Minkey's last post was in 2009, and his last visit in November 2011. We clearly do not need enough moderating to draw him in, so we should pick up the pace of controversial posts. What can we say about rosary beads that would be provocative?

As a youngster in Church, the nuns often wore the largest set of Rosary Beads I'd ever seen around their waist. I can tell you...one swop behind the head with the end ... you saw Mary's Crown of Stars!

Now, is that considered child abuse...or, is it just today's PC world that considers it child abuse now?

OUCH!

Arn said:
As a youngster in Church, the nuns often wore the largest set of Rosary Beads I'd ever seen around their waist. I can tell you...one swop behind the head with the end ... you saw Mary's Crown of Stars!

Now, is that considered child abuse...or, is it just today's PC world that considers it child abuse now?

OUCH!

Lots of convents here also sell rosary beads in their shops together with candles, postcards etc...

haha must be a universal Nun's thingie...remember it so well myself. Didn't harm me...Indeed wouldn't be considered PC in these days. Then again when I was only six granddad sent me to the local villageshop at end of street to get him and his workmen from the carpentryshed a bottle of Cognac. Inthese days the social services would take me away...lol...but back to rosary beads...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Rosary Beads and Cognac...emmmmmm!

Also a combination to get a headache.

Brings to mind a drinking game...where on each Our Father...drat!

Way off topic here...on a more sober note...

On my most recent Camino (CP), I was going thru security in SDC and was asked to open my pack for inspection...the first bag I pulled out was a Ziploc containing, among other things, my Rosary Beads. The officer saw them, smiled and passed me right on thru...Divine Intervention?

Arn

I had been debating weight vs fashion accessory (double function!) but now with Arn's excellent point about TSA/customs (triple use!) and the best yet, Rebecah's (forgive me if spelled wrong please) fourth use--Privacy screen, well, I guess I'll pack one....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is an online ministry here in the US called Rosary Army (http://www.rosaryarmy.com). The rosaries that they use in their ministry are made of nylon twine. They can send you a Rosary for FREE (or a donation, if you choose). I know that I will have my set in my pocket on the Camino, they're in my pocket almost all the time (they've been known to get washed accidentally). I used to make rosaries for my friends and loved ones out of nylon twine, but have had a hard time getting a new supplier :cry: . I had considered carrying a spool of the twine to make rosaries for my fellow pereginos that I meet on the Camino (or beforehand, like the plane ride over), but the twine can get kind of heavy. I guess a solution would be to measure out enough twine for a handful of rosaries with knotted crosses and carry those in a plastic baggie in my ruck.

My thing with the rosary is that if you have one on you, at least make an effort to pray it. I've seen a number of younger people wearing jewelry-grade rosaries as a necklace. When I ask if they pray the devotion, they say something along the lines of "it's just for looks, don't care about prayin' ". The Rosary is a wonderful devotion to our Lord and Saviour and the Blessed Mother. It rankles me when people have it around their necks and they don't recognize the spiritual beauty of it. Okay, I'm getting on a soapbox here, and that's enough for now.

Ave Maria and Buen Camino!
WanderingChristian :arrow:

Wandering, getting on your soap box is an essential part of belonging to this forum. :D

You are indeed welcome among us.

"My thing with the rosary is that if you have one on you, at least make an effort to pray it. I've seen a number of younger people wearing jewelry-grade rosaries as a necklace. When I ask if they pray the devotion, they say something along the lines of "it's just for looks, don't care about prayin' ". The Rosary is a wonderful devotion to our Lord and Saviour and the Blessed Mother. It rankles me when people have it around their necks and they don't recognize the spiritual beauty of it. Okay, I'm getting on a soapbox here, and that's enough for now."

Oh surely it's virtual praying :)
I'm ducking, & this was started by our moderators+(not guilty gov)

Should they not be on our packing list :?:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Wandering, getting on your soap box is an essential part of belonging to this forum. :D

You are indeed welcome among us.

Thanks, MethodistPilgrim :). I try not to get on it too much.

Ave Maria and Buen Camino :arrow:
WanderingChristian

Wandering, I too have made rosaries but I made them as a member of "Our Lady Rosary Makers" and senr them to African missions.
They sell all the parts and tools on their website at http://www.OLRM.com.
They also have instructional videos if you are in need.
I have taught children as young as 7 to make cord rosaries so it shouldn't be to hard to teach a perigrino. :grin:

True, it is relatively easy hobby (ministry) to learn. I would add that getting the spacing where you want it takes a bit more practice. The thing I suggest to any Rosary makers out there would be to have a length of the nylon twine cut so you can practice the knot work. I could see making them while waiting for an albergue to open or after dinner and before lights out . There is a significance to the number of passes in each knot in the Rosaries I make. Each Hail Mary knot gets three passes for the Trinity (Father, Son and Spirit), each Our Father gets six passes for the number of days in Creation. The knot between the first three Hail Marys and the centerpiece can be either ten or twelve passes, depending on your choice. Ten passes for the Ten Commandments or twelve passes for the twelve Apostles (or tribes of Israel). Keep in mind that although I'm talking about the Catholic rosary, many Protestant churches have similar devotions (Anglicans come to mind). I love talking with Christians of all denominations to find common ground.

Ave Maria and Buen Camino,
8) Wandering Christian :arrow:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back