• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rota Vicentina

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
What is it they say about best laid plans? :confused:

So far this year I thought I was going to walk in April but other family commitments have ruled this out...

Then I thought I would walk in August... this is uncertain at the moment as I might have to work

I was 100% sure I could walk in the Autumn and 4 weeks on the CP just fell into place for me... flights, family dates, work... it was sorted! But then my husband's dates changed and my plans fell apart like a house of cards.

So today I think I have another plan... please everyone keep your fingers crossed for us! We're going to fly to Lisbon on the 7th October and bus down to Santiago do Cacem. We're going to walk south towards Cabo San Vincente partly following the Historic Way and partly following the Fishermans Way. I've found the website really useful http://en.rotavicentina.com/go.html

These are the stages we've planned and I've manage to book accommodation in all but two of these locations today...

Lisbon - Santiago do Cacem (bus)
Santiago do Cacem - Vale Seco
Vale Seco - Cercal do Alentejo
Cercal do Alentejo - Porto Covo
Porto Covo - Vila Nova de Milfontes
Vila Nova de Milfontes - Almograve
Almograve - Zambujiera do Mar
Zambujiera do Mar - Odeceixe
Odeceixe - Aljezur
Aljezur - Arrifana
Arrifana - Carrapateira
Carrapateira - Vila do Bispo
Vila do Bispo - Cabo de San Vincente

We'll take a bus/taxi to Lagos and spend the night there before taking the bus back to Lisbon for our flight home.

Any feedback, suggestions, amendments or ideas are all very welcome :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, LesBrass,
I'm going to ask Ivar to make a sub-forum of the Camino Portugues section for this route. Even though it's not a Camino, it is in Portugal, and some pilgrims have walked it! Have you seen jsalt and LTfit's accounts?

I think you should have nice weather in October, maybe even still kind of hot on the coast. As I remember Jill's and Lee's posts, there are long stretches of sunny shade-less sandy paths. I've been to most of those places and it's a beautiful part of Portugal. You are never at a loss for a "next camino", it seems! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, LesBrass,
I'm going to ask Ivar to make a sub-forum of the Camino Portugues section for this route. Even though it's not a Camino, it is in Portugal, and some pilgrims have walked it! Have you seen jsalt and LTfit's accounts?

I think you should have nice weather in October, maybe even still kind of hot on the coast. As I remember Jill's and Lee's posts, there are long stretches of sunny shade-less sandy paths. I've been to most of those places and it's a beautiful part of Portugal. You are never at a loss for a "next camino", it seems! Buen camino, Laurie

@peregrina2000 thanks - I've book-marked their notes for reference. We're hoping for good weather! We only have 15 days including travel... and trying to find a good walk, with the right flight connections, good weather (hopefully) and somewhere new to us both all pointed to this walk. My husband is coming too (yippee) and he loves Portugal so it was on our wishlist.

We're actually in Lisbon in February so we'll maybe check out the start point and find our orientation so we're prepared. I feel very happy that we've got as far as booking something!

@amsimoes - thanks for the links... I'll check them all out!

I'm just keeping everything crossed that this is a case of third time lucky... quietly very excited now :D

How exciting - I shall greatly look forward to reading all about it.
Bom Caminho!

Yeay! Enjoy!
Jill
P.S. Maybe change the title to Rota Vicentina (for future searches . . . .)
P.P.S Love your new avatar :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
P.S. Maybe change the title to Rota Vicentina (for future searches . . . .)

P.P.S Love your new avatar :)

Arghh... :eek: It's because I've been singing Sweet Gene Vincent all day :D

p.s. maybe I could take the sequins on my next walk :rolleyes:

So far this year I thought I was going to walk in April but other family commitments have ruled this out...

Then I thought I would walk in August... this is uncertain at the moment as I might have to work

I was 100% sure I could walk in the Autumn and 4 weeks on the CP just fell into place for me... flights, family dates, work... it was sorted! But then my husband's dates changed and my plans fell apart like a house of cards.

So today I think I have another plan... please everyone keep your fingers crossed for us! We're going to fly to Lisbon on the 7th October and bus down to Santiago do Cacem. We're going to walk south towards Cabo San Vincente partly following the Historic Way and partly following the Fishermans Way. I've found the website really useful http://en.rotavicentina.com/go.html

These are the stages we've planned and I've manage to book accommodation in all but two of these locations today...

Odeceixe - Aljezur
Aljezur - Arrifana
Arrifana - Carrapateira

We'll take a bus/taxi to Lagos and spend the night there before taking the bus back to Lisbon for our flight home.

If you like German sausage, don't forget to eat one(or two) at the last German sausage stall on the European continent before crossing the ocean to America . it is at Cabo São Vicente:D
https://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/14693694_327729897604981_8105993388077088768_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM2ODM0NTM4NDkwMDA5MzkxMw%3D%3D.2&imgrefurl=http://www.pictaram.com/tag/letztebratwurstvoramerika&docid=5fNzTkIbkHZF0M&tbnid=r_6siceSVy-SyM:&vet=1&w=480&h=480&itg=1&hl=nl-nl&source=sh/x/im
Bom caminho

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Odeceixe - Aljezur
Aljezur - Arrifana
Arrifana - Carrapateira

I walked part of the Rota Vicentina the end of Sept 2015 from south to north. The tourism website for the Rota has a book and map. They should be able to mail you one or you can check with your lodging to see if theey have one. Be prepared for tough walking on the fisherman trail, but it is even more beautiful than the photos. What locations haven't you booked yet? I may be able to help. It can be quite warm and sunny, so you will need a lot of sun protection. Let me know if you have any questions. Glad to help.

And at the same time get your Cabo Sao Vincente certificate delivered by the same sausage stand. A bit weird...

Great plan @LesBrass!
As Laurie mentioned I walked the Rota last March. It must be the most beautiful walk I have done to date but then again I am crazy about the ocean.
Like you I chose to walk Norte - South. In my case because I have a friend living in Vila do Bispo. She picked me up when I reached Carrapateira and brought be back the next morning then came to pick me up when I reached the Cabo.

The Rota, especially the Fisherman's way, is a gem - pristine beauty and solitary. One minus point is the lack of cultural sites but if you are a nature lover and don't mind walking hours through the sand this route is for you!

In the surfer's hostel in Vila Nova I met a cute Italian who asked if he could walk with me :D - what a hoot! I was pleased as I would have otherwise walked alone, no one else was walking North to South and we only met a handful of people (1 or 2 a day) going South to North.

One caveat - this is NOT for someone afraid of heights!

Cheers
LT

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We did the Rota last May starting in Sagres and heading north. If you have the official guide they publish you should be fine following it. (Better than us, since we had to reverse all the directions which got confusing at times! :) ) The trail is absolutely phenomenal! 100' cliffs, gorgeous views, trails that are literally inches from the edge with no protective guardrails so you're on your own there, but totally worth it.

Just know that you will also be on sand dunes a lot if you take the fisherman's trail (recommended), which can be a slog at times, and your shoes will fill up in a hurry and need emptying several times a day, but that's nothing to worry about.

Due to time constraints (also, we figured from Porto Covo to Santiago do Cacem would be much like what we'd experienced coming out of Sagres), we stopped at Porto Covo to hop on over to the Camino Portuguese. Here are the places we stayed:

Porto Covo - Porto Covo Ahoy Hostel. Nothing fancy, somewhat bare bones, but serviceable. (reg. size bed w/shared bathroom, 34.50 euros/$38.71)

Vila Nova de Milfontes - Atlantico Apartments. We were in kind of a bind as we got into town late, but this worked for us. Also, the housekeeper did laundry, which was much needed. (reg. size bed w/en suite & kitchen, 22 euros/$24.63)

Almograve - the youth hostel. My girlfriend thought it was a prison when she first saw it. I thought it was a meat packing plant. Seriously! So, not much ambiance, but clean. Easy to find and, hey, after a day of dune walking, all we cared about was a place to sleep. WIFI in the lobby only. (dormitory-style dbl. beds w/shared bathroom, don't remember the price, but probably $20 or so)

Zambujiera do Mar - Camping Villa. Kind of on the outskirts, with not much around it to eat at. Did have a nice swimming pool which they literally were tearing apart and replacing the morning we left after we'd been using it the night before - I don't think we're to blame, though ;). (reg. size bed w/en suite & kitchen, don't remember the price but probably 30 euros or so)

Odeceixe - Casa Marais. Really nice family run house they live in. Super clean and restful. Great breakfast. Highly recommended. (reg. size bed w/en suite, don't remember how much...50 euros, maybe?)

Aljezur - Johouse Hostel. Well, into each life, etc. Not our favorite. The host wasn't there when he was supposed to be, and our room opened up to a courtyard that was pretty loud late at night. Your mileage may vary. (dbl beds w/en suite, 40 euros/$44.81)

Arrifana - Arrifana Retreat. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE! Kate and Skippy are the hosts and they will make your stay very enjoyable. Very nice facility. Most highly recommeded. Tell them Ray and Jeanne say "Hi!" (reg. size bed w/en suite, 50 euros)

Carrapateira - What can I say? We couldn't find our room, and as we were wandering about aimlessly a woman said she had a spare room she'd let us have for cheap. So, we got lucky that way since it was actually pretty nice, but make sure you get directions to wherever you stay, 'cause apparently nobody there knows where anything is. ;) (reg. size bed w/en suite, 30 euros)

Vila do Bispo - Flor de Esteva. A new place, open a few weeks when we got there. Nice hosts. Simple but good breakfast. (reg. size bed w/en suite, 50 euros)

BTW, most days we had the trail entirely to ourselves. Other days, it got crowded and we saw up to five other hikers. :) It was wonderful. We had a great time. Good luck!

Last edited:
We did the Rota last May starting in Sagres and heading north. If you have the official guide they publish you should be fine following it. (Better than us, since we had to reverse all the directions which got confusing at times! :) ) The trail is absolutely phenomenal! 100' cliffs, gorgeous views, trails that are literally inches from the edge with no protective guardrails so you're on your own there, but totally worth it.

Just know that you will also be on sand dunes a lot if you take the fisherman's trail (recommended), which can be a slog at times, and your shoes will fill up in a hurry and need emptying several times a day, but that's nothing to worry about.

Due to time constraints (also, we figured from Porto Covo to Santiago do Cacem would be much like what we'd experienced coming out of Sagres), we stopped at Porto Covo to hop on over to the Camino Portuguese. Here are the places we stayed:

Porto Covo - Porto Covo Ahoy Hostel. Nothing fancy, somewhat bare bones, but serviceable.

Vila Nova de Milfontes - Atlantico Apartments. We were in kind of a bind as we got into town late, but this worked for us. Also, the housekeeper did laundry, which was much needed.

Almograve - the youth hostel. My girlfriend thought it was a prison when she first saw it. I thought it was a meat packing plant. Seriously! So, not much ambiance. But, easy to find and, hey, after a day of dune walking, all we cared about was a place to sleep. WIFI in the lobby only.

Zambujiera do Mar - Camping Villa. Kind of on the outskirts, with not much around it to eat at. Did have a swimming pool which they literally were tearing apart and replacing the morning we left after we'd been using it the night before.

Odeceixe - Casa Marais. Really nice family run place. Super clean and restful. Great breakfast. Highly recommended.

Aljezur - Johouse Hostel. Well, into each life, etc. Not our favorite. The host wasn't there when he was supposed to be, and our room opened up to a courtyard that was pretty loud late at night. Your mileage may vary.

Arrifana - Arrifana Retreat. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE! Kate and Skippy are the hosts and they will make your stay very enjoyable. Very nice facility. Most highly recommeded. Tell them Ray and Jeanne say "Hi!"

Carrapateira - What can I say? We couldn't find our room, and as we were wandering about aimlessly a woman said she had a spare room she'd let us have for cheap. So, we got lucky that way since it was actually pretty nice, but make sure you get directions to wherever you stay, 'cause apparently nobody there knows where anything is. ;)

Vila do Bispo - Flor de Esteva. A new place, open a few weeks when we got there. Nice hosts. Simple but good breakfast.

BTW, most days we had the trail entirely to ourselves. Other days, it got crowded and we saw up to five other hikers. :) It was wonderful. We had a great time. Good luck!
Hi, Ray,

very useful info because Rota Vicentina (from Sao Vicente to SdC and Fisterra) is also on my to-do-list. Could you edit your post and add prices for listed accommodations if you still remember them.
Thank you very much and Ultreia!

Hi, Ray,

very useful info because Rota Vicentina (from Sao Vicente to SdC and Fisterra) is also on my to-do-list. Could you edit your post and add prices for listed accommodations if you still remember them.
Thank you very much and Ultreia!

Done and done! Some gaps where I forgot to enter prices in my journal or I had to use cash instead of a credit card, but I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Done and done! Some gaps where I forgot to enter prices in my journal or I had to use cash instead of a credit card, but I hope this helps.
Since you were walking with your girlfriend I guess prices are for twin/double rooms?

Since you were walking with your girlfriend I guess prices are for twin/double rooms?
That is correct, so splitting the cost between us made it cost effective for us. Some places may offer a single rate, but I don't know.

I walked six stages of the Rota Vicentina in September 2015, and I'd like to offer this tip: hiking poles! There's a lot of loose sand, and spreading your weight across four points of contact prevents your feet from sinking into the sand too much. Angle them backwards and pull yourself forwards.

In fact, if I ever go back, I'll fit mine with snow baskets to maximise the surface area.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In fact, if I ever go back, I'll fit mine with snow baskets to maximise the surface area.
Good idea!
Or just find two 10x10cm parts of plastic/metal plates in trash, spike them through with tips of the poles and they'll do the same ;)

Hello folks and many thanks for all the tips and ideas!

The good news is that we've booked our flights :D I've booked accommodation for all of the stops... which was surprisingly hard with many of the online hotels sold out? I guess October is a good time to walk in southern Portugal? I've been following the stages suggested of the Rota website and I've downloaded all of their .pdf information for each stage (which is very good). I'm going to mark on each page all your relevant comments too.

I've been reading all the blogs and links that I can find and making notes. I'm really excited now... and my husband is too as he's reading stuff and finding out about the area.

I was none too happy to read about big dogs and high cliffs :eek: I am scared of both :eek: But my husband will be there to hold my hand and he's confident he can sort me out. And yes, I do love the sea. I'm a Devon girl so I was never too far from the sea in the UK and it's the one thing I really really miss here in rural France. I like that you can combine both the Historic and the Fisherman' trail easily and get a flavour for both! Roll on October!

Hello folks and many thanks for all the tips and ideas!

The good news is that we've booked our flights :D I've booked accommodation for all of the stops... which was surprisingly hard with many of the online hotels sold out? I guess October is a good time to walk in southern Portugal? I've been following the stages suggested of the Rota website and I've downloaded all of their .pdf information for each stage (which is very good). I'm going to mark on each page all your relevant comments too.

I've been reading all the blogs and links that I can find and making notes. I'm really excited now... and my husband is too as he's reading stuff and finding out about the area.

I was none too happy to read about big dogs and high cliffs :eek: I am scared of both :eek: But my husband will be there to hold my hand and he's confident he can sort me out. And yes, I do love the sea. I'm a Devon girl so I was never too far from the sea in the UK and it's the one thing I really really miss here in rural France. I like that you can combine both the Historic and the Fisherman' trail easily and get a flavour for both! Roll on October!
If you're really scared of the cliffs maybe buy one of these http://www.decathlon.si/p/8305897_petzl-scorpio-vertigo-varovalne-vrvi.html#/126-120-_ No need to spend that much money though as I know it's more of a in-your-brain-picture so to speak. Maybe your husband can attach a cord/rope between the two of you on "risky" sections and you'll feel safe?

@KinkyOne - I've just showed him and he thinks this is a great idea... I'm not sure I do :D

I did have a bit of an enlightened moment on the VdlP last year when it dawned on me that the drugs I take are contributing to making more anxious... it's a long story but it was a bit of a lightbulb moment.

Just knowing this made things a lot easier... my mantra now, whilst walking around heights is "it's all in the mind... it's just chemicals... it's fine... you can do this... it's all in the mind... it's just chemicals..." and so on. Maybe it's a god job there won't be lots of other folks around :rolleyes:

I only know because I sing and when I started taking them I had a major problem with stage fright... I talked it over with the Doc and he explained why. I never put the two things together... but after crossing a particularly high bridge on the Via it just dawned on me... and just knowing this makes it a lot easier to cope with (although I have always been nervous of dogs and heights :rolleyes: )

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I only know because I sing and when I started taking them I had a major problem with stage fright... I talked it over with the Doc and he explained why. I never put the two things together... but after crossing a particularly high bridge on the Via it just dawned on me... and just knowing this makes it a lot easier to cope with (although I have always been nervous of dogs and heights :rolleyes: )
Well, I think I could cope with that. My problem is dealing with stupidity side effects with others :D

LesBrass, could you post your experience when you are done your walk. I am also interested in the Rota Vicentina and also have problems with vertigo. Usually the vertigo happens when I am looking up and then tilt my head. The crystals in my ear dislodge. Because of some bad experiences, before I knew the cause I am now overly afraid and overly cautious. Your feedback would be great! Thanks.

LesBrass, could you post your experience when you are done your walk. I am also interested in the Rota Vicentina and also have problems with vertigo. Usually the vertigo happens when I am looking up and then tilt my head. The crystals in my ear dislodge. Because of some bad experiences, before I knew the cause I am now overly afraid and overly cautious. Your feedback would be great! Thanks.[/QUOT

My husband also has vertigo, but was not bothered by the cliffs, maybe due to the beauty of the walk. Would love to hear about your adventure and what stops you will be making, on the Fisherman or Historical route.

Count us in...We start our walk from Santiago do Cacem on October 20. We have not booked through, just the first three days. We will take three days to walk to the Fisherman's Way. You can follow us here: https://rotavicentinablog.wordpress.com

A bit crazy as we walked the EPW in August, but we know this will be a very different experience. The EPW was hard..the temperature was over 35 many days, the route sheets and maps we were given did not match up, and at times the trail had not been walked and be were in weed waist high. We also became default leader for our small clan. We are glad we did it and it pushed us physically and mentally, but we hope for cooler temps and a more relaxing as we are allowing ourselves many extra days if we want to stay and day hike along the way.

We have the book and map from the organization and the website is very good too.

Count us in...We start our walk from Santiago do Cacem on October 20...

Fingers crossed we should be arriving safe and sound at the other end on that day :D

I'll keep my blog and I'll try to ensure I come on and update progress here too... counting down the days now!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Fingers crossed we should be arriving safe and sound at the other end on that day :D

I'll keep my blog and I'll try to ensure I come on and update progress here too... counting down the days now!

Will be looking at your blog. Hope you have a joyful journey!

What is it they say about best laid plans? 😕

Odeceixe - Aljezur
Aljezur - Arrifana
Arrifana - Carrapateira

We're doing a similar walk this Sep/Oct, traveling north from Cabo de San Vincente to Santiago de Compostela, Spain ... taking the Rota and hooking up with the Camino Portugese in Lisbon. Does anyone have a suggestion about a good route from Porto Covo to Lisbon?

We're doing a similar walk this Sep/Oct, traveling north from Cabo de San Vincente to Santiago de Compostela, Spain ... taking the Rota and hooking up with the Camino Portugese in Lisbon. Does anyone have a suggestion about a good route from Porto Covo to Lisbon?

We didn't find one. From what we read and heard, it was sort of a slog, so we just took a bus and enjoyed several days of R&R in Lisbon before heading north.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We didn't find one. From what we read and heard, it was sort of a slog, so we just took a bus and enjoyed several days of R&R in Lisbon before heading north.

Yes, I think we will head inland from Porto Covo and walk to Santiago do Cacem ... then a bus to Lisbon.
On another note, can anyopne recommend an inexpensive place to stay in Vila do Bisbo for one night? I looked at Airb&b and HostelWorld ... there are a few places listed but they are either pricey or limit stays to two nights.

Yes, I think we will head inland from Porto Covo and walk to Santiago do Cacem ... then a bus to Lisbon.
On another note, can anyopne recommend an inexpensive place to stay in Vila do Bisbo for one night? I looked at Airb&b and HostelWorld ... there are a few places listed but they are either pricey or limit stays to two nights.

We stayed at Pure Flor de Esteva. I just checked, and they have one night stays; in June, it runs 79 euros/night, which is way more than we paid. At that time they had only been open for a week so they were getting their feet wet, hence the lower price, I guess. It's certainly not fancey, but it is nice.

I walked part of the Rota Vicentina the end of Sept 2015 from south to north. The tourism website for the Rota has a book and map. They should be able to mail you one or you can check with your lodging to see if theey have one. Be prepared for tough walking on the fisherman trail, but it is even more beautiful than the photos. What locations haven't you booked yet? I may be able to help. It can be quite warm and sunny, so you will need a lot of sun protection. Let me know if you have any questions. Glad to help.
Hi! I am looking for campsites from Porto Covo to Lagos. do you know a good place to find this info?
I found site but they don't reserve for one night campers, don't know if I should go and with luck, I can get a spot. i will be there the whole month of August 2024

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back