• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rotary club on the way to Santiago

azita

Time of past OR future Camino
I m planning to walk the Camino May 2018. I will arrive 15th of May.
Hola,
I was hoping that I can visit some Rotary Club on my trip to Santiago. Is there any fellow Rotarian in this forum that can guide me or you have some experience that you like to share?

Gracias

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola @azita ,
If you go to https://my.rotary.org/en/search/club-finder, and enter the name of any town you will be travelling through, you will be able to find out the details of the club and where they meet.
My only concern, and the reason I might not be seeking to visit a Rotary club, is that if the dress code is formal, I will not be dressed suitably...
Buen Camino

Hola @azita ,
If you go to https://my.rotary.org/en/search/club-finder, and enter the name of any town you will be traveling through, you will be able to find out the details of the club and where they meet.
My only concern, and the reason I might not be seeking to visit a Rotary club, is that if the dress code is formal, I will not be dressed suitably...
Buen Camino
Thank you for the reply and good point on the dress code, I am carrying a dress with me and I think I just have to apology in advance about my footwear. what concerns me most is the language, I don't know if there is a point to visit if I don't understand what they talking about.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for the reply and good point on the dress code, I am crying a dress with me and I think I just have to apology in advance about my footwear. what concerns me most is the language, I don't know if there is a point to visit if I don't understand what they talking about.

Most clubs will speak some English, after all, a lot of communications to Rotary Clubs from Evanston are in English. I often found that one or two members would look after me and translate if necessary.
In my case, in addition to the lack of appropriate clothing for a Rotary meeting, I have found that where I stop for more than 1 night, and where I could take advantage of visiting a club, the meeting nights don't work.

Most clubs will speak some English, after all, a lot of communications to Rotary Clubs from Evanston are in English. I often found that one or two members would look after me and translate if necessary.
In my case, in addition to the lack of appropriate clothing for a Rotary meeting, I have found that where I stop for more than 1 night, and where I could take advantage of visiting a club, the meeting nights don't work.
good to know that, thank you!

Hola, Azita. I was also going to try and visit some clubs on the way if, as AJGuillaume indicated, you happen to be in that town on the night/day of the meeting. If you use the Rotary website and find contact info for the club, it's a good idea to call ahead and confirm that the meeting is happening as advertised. At that point you could raise the dress code question. Most clubs are very welcoming and are happy to suspend any dress code issues for a visitor.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola, Azita. I was also going to try and visit some clubs on the way if, as AJGuillaume indicated, you happen to be in that town on the night/day of the meeting. If you use the Rotary website and find contact info for the club, it's a good idea to call ahead and confirm that the meeting is happening as advertised. At that point you could raise the dress code question. Most clubs are very welcoming and are happy to suspend any dress code issues for a visitor.
Hola Patric,
Thank you for the reply, I guess I need to do it the today or two before I arrive at any destination that has rotary clubs. Did you manage to visit one?

Hola Patric,
Thank you for the reply, I guess I need to do it the today or two before I arrive at any destination that has rotary clubs. Did you manage to visit one?
A couple of days notice should be fine, Azita. As for me, I start the CF on May 22nd! Looking forward to it! Who knows, we may meet up somewhere!
Buen Camino!

Hola,
I was hoping that I can visit some Rotary Club on my trip to Santiago. Is there any fellow Rotarian in this forum that can guide me or you have some experience that you like to share?

Gracias
Question , are you walking.?
Why should somebody wanted to visit a Rotary Club while on a Camino to Santiago de Compostela.

Please enlight us.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why should somebody wanted to visit a Rotary Club while on a Camino to Santiago de Compostela.

Please enlight us.

@Peter Fransiscus , one of the principles of Rotary is building goodwill and friendship. Rotarians who travel around the world like meeting other Rotarians (and other people, too :)) to develop friendships.
Buen Camino

Please enlight us.

A couple of days notice should be fine, Azita. As for me, I start the CF on May 22nd! Looking forward to it! Who knows, we may meet up somewhere!
Buen Camino!
oh wow I start the 16th of May.
bueno Camino

Please enlight us.
Hello Peter,
I'm Rotarian, it's always nice to meet other fellow Rotarian around the world and hear about how they are making a difference. learn about their projects locally and internationally and being inspired. It's kind of a custom between Rotarian to pay a visit to other clubs and built up a friendship and possible relationship for the future project.

I will start my walk 15th of May :)

Please enlight us.
I was wondering the exact same thing. Now we have a little more info. Still I plan to google Rotary club cuz I don't really understand its purpose or what projects they participate in.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was wondering the exact same thing. Now we have a little more info. Still I plan to google Rotary club cuz I don't really understand its purpose or what projects they participate in.
Question , are you
walking.?
Hello Chris, Rotary international provides humanitarian services

Please enlight us.
Hello Peter,
Yes I will start my journey on the 15th of May.
I’m a member of i
Buen Camino!
oh wow I start the 16th of May.
bueno Camino

If it interests you please look up the Rotary organisation. There are clubs throughout the world and we do a lot of good - End Polio Now; the Jaipur Limb Project; Aqua boxes; Shelter Boxes are just a few of the examples where we support international projects. My own club has supported the building of a village in Fiji and we are currently trying to outfit a medical centre there. Locally, we support the homeless and vulnerable and many local charities and organisations working in our City. All excellent reasons to join or work with Rotary; however, for me, the main reason was meeting other people and having enjoyment in their company - I start my Camino in June and look forward to the same comradeship on my route as I find in Rotary.

Hi Azita

I too am a Rotarian and finished the CF two years ago. I brought two flags with me on the trip. I was able to make an evening meeting in Leon. Yes, I was dressed differently, but was welcomed with open arms. Language was something of an issue, but as the evening wore on communication improved:) Don't miss this opportunity to make new friends and experience how clubs work in different countries. I was amazed at the projects this small club completed (they built a hospital in Africa!!!) One word of caution, start times mean something different in Spain. I showed up at 7:30 for an 8:00PM meeting. The first member appeared at 8:10. It was a late night for this perigrino. Fortunately, we were not walking the next day.

Buen Camino -- Bob

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Azita

I too am a Rotarian and finished the CF two years ago. I brought two flags with me on the trip. I was able to make an evening meeting in Leon. Yes, I was dressed differently, but was welcomed with open arms. Language was something of an issue, but as the evening wore on communication improved:) Don't miss this opportunity to make new friends and experience how clubs work in different countries. I was amazed at the projects this small club completed (they built a hospital in Africa!!!) One word of caution, start times mean something different in Spain. I showed up at 7:30 for an 8:00PM meeting. The first member appeared at 8:10. It was a late night for this perigrino. Fortunately, we were not walking the next day.

Buen Camino -- Bob
Hi Azita

Buen Camino -- Bob
Hello Bob,
Thank you for replying!
That is wonderful Bob. I will look up Leon for sure. I'm more excited now;)

Thank you so much!

When I was in Finisterre, last June, there were at least two monuments recognizing Rotary. When I start on May 24, from SJPP, I hope to visit clubs in Spain. It is fun to visit clubs around the World.
For anyone who doesn't know about Rotary, look into it---you will make great friends and will be part of making your community and the World a better place. We Rotarians are all over the World, making a difference---and having fun. Join us.

Lions International is regularly represented, too. If you are not aware of Lions, Rotary, and Kiwanis, you should find a service club and join it! I think you will be better for it... ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I was in Finisterre, last June, there were at least two monuments recognizing Rotary. When I start on May 24, from SJPP, I hope to visit clubs in Spain. It is fun to visit clubs around the World.
For anyone who doesn't know about Rotary, look into it---you will make great friends and will be part of making your community and the World a better place. We Rotarians are all over the World, making a difference---and having fun. Join us.
Hello, you are absolutely right. I will start 15th of May but still we might meet some where along the way. Enjoy your walk my friend

@azita Hola fellow Rotarian and peregrina! I will be leaving Santiago on the 14th of May ... wish we could have connected and exchanged. I am also visiting Madrid and Barcelona ... found clubs to potentially visit; meeting times do seem to be quite late in the evening. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Peter Fransiscus , one of the principles of Rotary is building goodwill and friendship. Rotarians who travel around the world like meeting other Rotarians (and other people, too :)) to develop friendships.
Buen Camino

Where does a current member of AHA go when in Spain AJG
Look after the girl,
Regards
David

@azita Hola fellow Rotarian and peregrina! I will be leaving Santiago on the 14th of May ... wish we could have connected and exchanged. I am also visiting Madrid and Barcelona ... found clubs to potentially visit; meeting times do seem to be quite late in the evening. Buen Camino!
Hello my friend,
That’s a shame we missed each other this time but hey who knows maybe some where else we meet
Keep up the good work
I’m from Australia, which part of the world you live?

Where does a current member of AHA go when in Spain AJG
Look after the girl,
Regards
David

@Thornley, I am not too sure how I should take your comment. I do not know what membership of AHA refers to, and as I am not walking with the OP, I am not going to look after her.
I am hoping I do not have to read any inappropriate comment in what you wrote.
:confused:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Thornley, I am not too sure how I should take your comment. I do not know what membership of AHA refers to, and as I am not walking with the OP, I am not going to look after her.
I am hoping I do not have to read any inappropriate comment in what you wrote.
:confused:

Your wife you look after Andrew
Australia Hotel Assoc.
See you on your return at the monthly meeting:)

Last edited:
Hello my friend,
That’s a shame we missed each other this time but hey who knows maybe some where else we meet
Keep up the good work
I’m from Australia, which part of the world you live?

I am from Ontario, Canada ... any chance you will be attending the Rotary International Convention in Toronto this June?

I am from Ontario, Canada ... any chance you will be attending the Rotary International Convention in Toronto this June?
Lovely!
No I will be on my walk till end of June. I start 15th of May
Well I’m in Sydney so you are welcome any time

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good time to start. Wishing you a superb journey! Buen Camino! If I am ever in Sydney I will look you up!
Please do
Can you tell me how cold is the weather now?

Greeting Azita and other Rotarians.
I have just started a discussion group as the beginning of making a Fellowship of Rotary Friends of the Camino. I would love to have other Rotarians join this group and pool informations such as you seek: where, what day and when the clubs meet along the various routes. I also want to design a patch to put on our packs to be able to identify fellow Rotarians.
I have a hope that we can also do something to give back to the Camino and fellow travellers and was thinking of a project to put toilets on the route that are in some of those extra long stretches where people have no choice but to squat beside the road which is very unhygienic for the poor farmers.
I am an Australian from country Victoria and will going to the RICON in Toronto and would love to meet other Pilgrims. I will be walking from StJPP to Santiago in September /October this year.
Could you all please take notes of any Rotary Club meetings along the Way and let me know so that I can compile a list.

I think it would be a great idea to start a Fellowship, but I am not sure how. I visited the Rotary club in Leon Spain. They were a wonderful bunch. Just be aware that 8:00pm may not mean 8:00. The president showed up at 8:10. One of my club members attended the meeting in Santiago. It too was memorable. anyway count me in the Fellowship.

This year I begin an interesting Camino on Sept 26. My best friend and I will leave SJPP on Sept 26 and walk to Pamplona. then a plane to Porto to meet two more friends and we'll finish the Portuguese Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Greeting Azita and other Rotarians.
I have just started a discussion group as the beginning of making a Fellowship of Rotary Friends of the Camino. I would love to have other Rotarians join this group and pool informations such as you seek: where, what day and when the clubs meet along the various routes. I also want to design a patch to put on our packs to be able to identify fellow Rotarians.
I have a hope that we can also do something to give back to the Camino and fellow travellers and was thinking of a project to put toilets on the route that are in some of those extra long stretches where people have no choice but to squat beside the road which is very unhygienic for the poor farmers.
I am an Australian from country Victoria and will going to the RICON in Toronto and would love to meet other Pilgrims. I will be walking from StJPP to Santiago in September /October this year.
Could you all please take notes of any Rotary Club meetings along the Way and let me know so that I can compile a list.

Hello,
What an great idea. I’m on the way right now and yet not able to visit a club. If I come a cross one I will make a note. I’m also from Australia sydney, I have been walking with my cap for the past 10 days.

Attachments

• D7406A56-6D54-4AF4-BE60-A63FBD98B0B2.jpeg
    D7406A56-6D54-4AF4-BE60-A63FBD98B0B2.jpeg
    916.5 KB · Views: 3
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,
What an great idea. I’m on the way right now and yet not able to visit a club. If I come a cross one I will make a note. I’m also from Australia sydney, I have been walking with my cap for the past 10 days.
Have a wonderful trip. It is a great idea to wear the Rotary cap. It will be interesting to see how many Rotarians you meet through the cap. Buen Camino.

StJPP to Santiago in September /October this year.

Only two i suspect;
Logrono and Santiago de Compostela according to family.
More available on Norte and Madrid Camino's paths.

Last edited:
If it interests you please look up the Rotary organisation. There are clubs throughout the world and we do a lot of good - End Polio Now; the Jaipur Limb Project; Aqua boxes; Shelter Boxes are just a few of the examples where we support international projects. My own club has supported the building of a village in Fiji and we are currently trying to outfit a medical centre there. Locally, we support the homeless and vulnerable and many local charities and organisations working in our City. All excellent reasons to join or work with Rotary; however, for me, the main reason was meeting other people and having enjoyment in their company - I start my Camino in June and look forward to the same comradeship on my route as I find in Rotary.

Where and when are you starting your Camino in June?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.