Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rottweiler outside Borrenes

Time of past OR future Camino
Nascente 2024
Just a warning about a dangerous dog on the way between Cornatel Castle and Borrenes. As I was coming down the hill from the castle on Sunday 10th June I turned left to go to Borrenes along the Calle Campelo - about 1.5 km from the village. There is some type of company on the corner there but unfortunately there were loose dogs and an open gate. I am very used to dogs shouting at me to warn me off their patch and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. However I was a good 20 yards past the entrance to the building when a rottweiler came hurtling out, ran down the road at me and tried to bite me. This was definitely not one of those warning barks, this was an attack.

I managed to hit it with a stick and a lot of shouting and aggression made it back off - but I would have been in trouble without a stick. I met a peregrina today who had walked past the same building without any problem so maybe my call to the police had some effect. Please take care, stay alert as you walk past this corner and do carry a stick on this part of the route.

Safe camino my friends!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a warning about a dangerous dog on the way between Cornatel Castle and Borrenes. As I was coming down the hill from the castle on Sunday 10th June I turned left to go to Borrenes along the Calle Campelo - about 1.5 km from the village. There is some type of company on the corner there but unfortunately there were loose dogs and an open gate. I am very used to dogs shouting at me to warn me off their patch and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. However I was a good 20 yards past the entrance to the building when a rottweiler came hurtling out, ran down the road at me and tried to bite me. This was definitely not one of those warning barks, this was an attack.

I managed to hit it with a stick and a lot of shouting and aggression made it back off - but I would have been in trouble without a stick. I met a peregrina today who had walked past the same building without any problem so maybe my call to the police had some effect. Please take care, stay alert as you walk past this corner and do carry a stick on this part of the route.

Safe camino my friends!

Oh,

I have named the Camino de Invierno the Doggy-Camino... There will be plenty of them all the way to LalĂ­n for you. Yes they often go unchained... But most of them are harmless. I thought people would start to watch their dogs more closely, as the number of pilgrims increases on this Camino (?)

I will be back on the Invierno this summer so yes I will watch out for them...

I hope the rest of your journey will be more peaceful!

BP

Sad to hear this. It would colour my thinking of doing this Camino.......but I'll probably still do it! It is certainly a feature of the less-trodden tracks. On Baztan route I had to seek sanctuary (literally) in a churchyard from a braying pack of about 15 puppies one Sunday morning. And no sympathy from the owner when he came (eventually) to see what the was! And many more free dogs on Baztan route. But the solitude makes up for it as long as I don't get bitten!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sad to hear this. It would colour my thinking of doing this Camino.......but I'll probably still do it! It is certainly a feature of the less-trodden tracks. On Baztan route I had to seek sanctuary (literally) in a churchyard from a braying pack of about 15 puppies one Sunday morning. And no sympathy from the owner when he came (eventually) to see what the was! And many more free dogs on Baztan route. But the solitude makes up for it as long as I don't get bitten!
Well, Tim, you know... (phrase from Monthy Python's FC... ;))

...you can always walk with me. I have good experiences with dogs. Lots of them were after me but none attacked. So far :p

PS (I don't get any more of your blog notices on my e-mail. You stopped writing it?)

I walked past that area a couple of weeks ago, there was a stone cutting factory, I believe, it was locked, and I had no problem with dogs whatsoever. In fact, not one single dangerous dog along the whole way

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, Tim, you know... (phrase from Monthy Python's FC... ;))

...you can always walk with me. I have good experiences with dogs. Lots of them were after me but none attacked. So far :p

PS (I don't get any more of your blog notices on my e-mail. You stopped writing it?)
It will continue when I find more phone signal...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back