• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rouen - Mont-Saint Michel

sopranocorry

Time of past OR future Camino
CP 2019
We are planning to visit Les Chemi s du Mont Saint-Michel in the summer of 2022.
I have just come across this beautiful picture book ‘pilgrimage - Derry Brabbs) that mentions pilgrim routes of Britain and Europe and writes about the 330 or 160 km route to Saint-Michel. Little did I know about that, as we have only done the Coastal Portuguese route to Santiago de Compostela. I am just wondering ….
- has anyone ever walked this or part of the route?
- would we be able to present our credentials for signing anywhere or at the end? Use the same document from our previous camino then?
- Any suggestions or advice or info about Mont Saint-Michel?
Would be much obliged to receive any input or information from other members.
Looking forward to our trip! Best wishes to you all from Corry snd Guido from Australia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For more information on the camino starting from Mont Saint Michel and passing through Rennes see this link.
You can get your Pilgrim Credential stamped at the Abbey of Mont Saint Michel. The view from the Abbey out over the bay is unforgetable
This web also is impressive. Happy research!

Last edited:
We are planning to visit Les Chemi s du Mont Saint-Michel in the summer of 2022.
I have just come across this beautiful picture book ‘pilgrimage - Derry Brabbs) that mentions pilgrim routes of Britain and Europe and writes about the 330 or 160 km route to Saint-Michel. Little did I know about that, as we have only done the Coastal Portuguese route to Santiago de Compostela. I am just wondering ….
- would we be able to present our credentials for signing anywhere or at the end? Use the same document from our previous camino then?
Looking forward to our trip! Best wishes to you all from Corry snd Guido from Australia
You don't say where you want to start or finish. It is possible to walk routes from England, through Mont St Michel down the cost of France(Voie Lottorale) joining the Camino del Norte then Olvidado and on to Santiago. I did this in 2013, starting from Winchester. 1900 km, 79 days.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is a significant revival of the paths to Mont St Michel, with waymarking, a credential (carnet de miquelot) to get stamped and a certificate. I am planning on using the route from cherbourg to Mont St Michel next year and then continuing onward to Santiago
The website is useful but best used in the French version as not all sections are available in English (for some reason the accommodation section is missing). But there are accommodation lists, google maps od route and gpx downloads https://www.lescheminsdumontsaintmichel.com/spip/spip.php?lang=fr

If you “closed” your credential by receiving your Compostela in Santiago, you need to obtain a new one for future Caminos - this is true for any route you may walk.

There is a pilgrim albergue in MSM, but definitely replan that as space is limited and it does not always accept travelers. Other accommodations exist there, but can be pricey. As in the rest of France, gites generally should be contacted the day before arriving so they know to expect you.

MSM is phenomenal, especially the mid-day Mass. definitely stay a night there to appreciate the post-tourist crowd vibe and to witness the tidal flooding.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I visited in 1990, on a summer's day, and it was packed with tourists. Happily, my mother and I had booked a room on the island and as evening fell, the majority of tourists left and I was on my own to watch the tide swirl in. Stay the night, watch the tide, have a great meal!

As others have said…. Do your best to stay over. Tourist crowds gone….I still remember hearing my own footsteps as I walked in the night. BUT…..places to stay extremely limited. Book well in advance

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I know it’s veering off topic, but I spotted this plaque on an old church in Brittany, two years before I knew I would be walking a Camino. This was about a week after I stayed in Mt St Michel……I was drawn

Attachments

• 0B0F2A1F-FD90-4917-8A94-84BBE0B94C3F.jpeg
    0B0F2A1F-FD90-4917-8A94-84BBE0B94C3F.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 40
You don't say where you want to start or finish. It is possible to walk routes from England, through Mont St Michel down the cost of France(Voie Lottorale) joining the Camino del Norte then Olvidado and on to Santiago. I did this in 2013, starting from Winchester. 1900 km, 79 days.
Hello Ozaj. I am thinking of doing Winchester, Mont St Michel, Norte, SdC in 2022. Any advice would be welcome, especially accommodation and costs on the Pilgrim Way to Canterbury.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Dear Corry and Guido,
Four of us began our Pilgrimage in Mont St Michel in 2011. We have walked for one week every year, beginning with a first walk from Mont St Michel to Antrain using the Amis de St Jacques en Bretagne guide as far as St Jean D' Angely.
It was a little difficult then, because the guide was in French. My husband and I had just enough understanding to translate each walk. I notice someone has put on a super link for the Chemins de Mont St Michel.
We walked from Mont St Michel to Nantes via Rennes, Nantes to Bordeaux, Bordeaux to Dax, Dax to SJDPP. We arrived in Burgos in September.
We truly are .. we four...the slowest pilgrims, and have loved every minute of it!
Good luck and Buen Camino!
Mary P and family

Thank you Ozay! Indeed I did not say about our start finish as I had not planned nor even thought about a further camino. Our trip planning includes Iceland, UK, Netherlands as well as Normandy and Belgium from Australia. I had merely planned to include MSM as a place I had never visited that was on our bucket list, not even thinking about walking or a camino.
We have booked a week accommodation at Cromel, about 20 km from MSM. We will be exploring and walking, it will on this occasion not be a full camino. It will also be in touristy summer season but I am sure we will still enjoy it.

Hello Ozaj. I am thinking of doing Winchester, Mont St Michel, Norte, SdC in 2022. Any advice would be welcome, especially accommodation and costs on the Pilgrim Way to Canterbury.
I didn't go via Canterbury. From Winchester I followed the Pilgrim Trail to Portsmouth. PM me your email address and I'll send you more info

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a significant revival of the paths to Mont St Michel, with waymarking, a credential (carnet de miquelot) to get stamped and a certificate. I am planning on using the route from cherbourg to Mont St Michel next year and then continuing onward to Santiago
The website is useful but best used in the French version as not all sections are available in English (for some reason the accommodation section is missing). But there are accommodation lists, google maps od route and gpx downloads https://www.lescheminsdumontsaintmichel.com/spip/spip.php?lang=fr
Roving Rufus … That sounds absolutely Devine -I almost wish our trip could have included the trip from Cherbourg, to Mont Saint Michel and on to Santiago de Compostela. How long would you think this will take? That trip would be more than 1750 km at a guess … that is unimaginable! Would love to hear about your preparation and timing. What a trip!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can highly recommend the Appletree Hill Gites located in Saint Mar des Bois on the Chemin de Saint Michel between Caen and Mont Saint Michel! Ran by a lovely British couple, they have accommodations from a simple but lovely “Pilgrim’s room” to a standalone one bedroom building to a three bedroom house. The Camino literally runs by their front gate. About 50km from Michel.

Contact at:
appletreehillgites.fr

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can highly recommend the Appletree Hill Gites located in Saint Mar des Bois on the Chemin de Saint Michel between Caen and Mont Saint Michel! Ran by a lovely British couple, they have accommodations from a simple but lovely “Pilgrim’s room” to a standalone one bedroom building to a three bedroom house. The Camino literally runs by their front gate. About 50km from Michel.

Contact at:
appletreehillgites.fr
vacajoe - I love your quote: traded in my workboots for hiking boots. Well done you mate!
Thank you for information about Appletree hill gites We will surely check this out. Thank you.

vacajoe - I love your quote: traded in my workboots for hiking boots. Well done you mate!
Thank you for information about Appletree hill gites We will surely check this out. Thank you.
It’s been four years since retirement and I just keep walking! 😂. The Apple Tree gite is beyond lovely (I am here now, actually! Stayed an extra night because it was so lovely and plan to come back on a proper holiday to rent the one bedroom house). Buen Camino to you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you make your pilgrimage? I am planning the same for this coming June 2023 and would like to hear your impressions and any other insights.

I walked Normandy (Caen to MSM) in October 2022 - great hike, but zero pilgrim accommodations or appreciation anywhere on that route except at the destination on the Mont itself. Lovely and worthwhile, but it’s nothing like other Camino routes.

I plan on doing Rouen to Mont-Saint-Michel on Spring or on Autum 2025. I know that on can never be sure about the stanges of a route until it is acctually done, because so many things can happen; planning never equals reallity. That's part of the charm. Anyway, we must have some parameter to star from. Here is my idea: sleep in chambre d'hôtes in some villages and in accueille miquelot in others. I would sleep in 1 Rouen, 2 Barneville-sur-Seine, 3 Le Bec Hellouin; 4 Broglie; 5 Vimoutiers; 6 Falaise; 7 Vassy; 8 Saint-Pois; Avranches; 9 Genêts; 10 Mont-Saint-Michel (after walking with a local-guide through the bay).
Like this:
1708881800348.png
I know that this plan requires longer day-walks then the usually suggested stages. But in my others pilgrimages I did 28km, 32km even 44km some days. And this time I wont have a lot of days to spend away from my country (Brazil). Does anyone here have advice for me?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked Caen to MSM and it was a lovely route, though poorly marked and little pilgrim support. However, I loved it and highly recommend walking Normandy.

It’s different than walking the more popular Camino routes, so here’s some advice: Carry some food, especially on Sundays and Mondays when the French are usually off. Definitely call ahead a day or two to ensure where you are hoping to stay will actually be open and taking guests. In France, many of the smaller gites and chambers won’t open if no one has reserved that day. Walk across the Bay to MSM with a guided tour (it’s dangerous and illegal to walk unguided) at low tide - one of the top experiences of my life. Stay one night at the pilgrim house on MSM. “Donativo” of 30€ but worth it to be there after all the tourists leave. If you get a chance, head down to St Malo after your walk (or add a couple of extra days).

Feel free to ask me specific questions if you have them.

Walked Caen to MSM and it was a lovely route, though poorly marked and little pilgrim support. However, I loved it and highly recommend walking Normandy.

It’s different than walking the more popular Camino routes, so here’s some advice: Carry some food, especially on Sundays and Mondays when the French are usually off. Definitely call ahead a day or two to ensure where you are hoping to stay will actually be open and taking guests. In France, many of the smaller gites and chambers won’t open if no one has reserved that day. Walk across the Bay to MSM with a guided tour (it’s dangerous and illegal to walk unguided) at low tide - one of the top experiences of my life. Stay one night at the pilgrim house on MSM. “Donativo” of 30€ but worth it to be there after all the tourists leave. If you get a chance, head down to St Malo after your walk (or add a couple of extra days).

Feel free to ask me specific questions if you have them.
Thank you. I like solitary routes, and I do speak french, so it's going to be a good opportunity to meet some time with local peoplo and experience a bit of normandy culture. For now, I have one more question, specificly about the bay crossing. I would deffinetly book a guided tour, I already did some research. The thing is, the websites say one must be barefooted, wearing shorts but with something warm on the upperside of the body and should carry some watter and snack. But since I plan on do the crossing only one way (in order to sleep inside de "island"), a would have do do the crossing carrying may full back-pack, to one I will use along the camino, with which weights probably 6,5kg ou 7kg. Is there a problem to cross the Bay with such weight on the back? Must one carry light, or is it ok? Did you do it with your full backpack?

We did it with our full packs, carrying everything we were taking for 60+ days of traveling! Can’t remember the exact weight, but 7-7kgs is probably about right. The guides made zero comments about our bags other than that they don’t get many actual pilgrims there.

Barefoot is because the sand/mud will pull your shoes off your feet. Shorts are because there are parts that may be up to a meter deep, depending on the tides and waves when you cross. Upper body covering is because you are literally crossing the Bay, so it’s a bit chilly at times

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also did the crossing one way with rucksack including all my camping gear so probably closer to 9kg. I told the guide I was a pilgrim and so was only going to MStM and not returning. He was very nice, and checked I was okay a few times. I had no issues!

But I did it afternoon sun during a heatwave with temps of 37° so can't comment on the warm layers! But shorts and bare feet are needed, and you will be mucky by the time you arrive.
The recommendation of water and snack is to "tourists" who often turn up without anything or sufficiently prepared for what is actually a hike - it doesn't preclude carrying more stuff!

I also did the crossing one way with rucksack including all my camping gear so probably closer to 9kg. I told the guide I was a pilgrim and so was only going to MStM and not returning. He was very nice, and checked I was okay a few times. I had no issues!

But I did it afternoon sun during a heatwave with temps of 37° so can't comment on the warm layers! But shorts and bare feet are needed, and you will be mucky by the time you arrive.
The recommendation of water and snack is to "tourists" who often turn up without anything or sufficiently prepared for what is actually a hike - it doesn't preclude carrying more stuff!
Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.