• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rough cost of Camino Frances in December

Trish K

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Nov/Dec (2017)
Camino Norte (2019)
Camino Primitivo (2019)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am loving the wealth of information on here. I am planning to undertake the Camino Frances setting off on 24/11 and hoping to arrive in Santiago on 31/12. One piece of info I can't seem to find recent info on is what I should expect to spend. I will be hoping to stay in basic accommodation available on route. Any recent estimates from what others members have ended up spending compared to what they thought they might spend would be welcome.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many albergues will close around October 31, so you will need to plan stops in the larger towns and cities. The option to stop every 5 km will not be available. In villages with two or more albergues, one is likely to be open. The municipals generally are open all year. Don't expect a lot of califaction. Energy is expensive, and heating an albergue for one or two pilgrims does not appeal to management! Buen camino. :)

For several past years I walked the CF in winter. Always staying at albergues which were open expenses averaged 30/35 euros per day.

As Falcon noted heating is neither necessarily abundant nor continuous ! Thus in cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and frigid. Make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your dry poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed when it is really cold.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wonderful time of the year to walk! Costs for me were actually lower during the winter. I'm a slow walker and found that in the spring I had to occasionally resort to a pension/case rural/hotel when the bed race had beat me for that day. In the winter that was never the case. The Pilgrim Office handed everyone a list of open Albergues and making it to them on a daily basis was easy enough. The other nice bit was the money I saved on beer... turns out cafe con leche not only keeps you warmer but it also costs less ;) On the whole however, I'm in agreement with mspath above and spent in that same range. Buen Camino!

Thanks guys. Getting excited now!

I walked the cf more or less on your dates 2016/17. an albergue will be open at the end of every manageable stage. Not necessarily maned but contact details available. It's actually the first time on Camino I've stayed in albergues most nights. Being a terribly light sleeper, I've preferred the other options. I spent about half my evenings alone or with one other pilgrim. it's more important at this time of the year to keep a few emergency snacks. I think 3 or 4 days max, I couldn't buy food during the day. In viana the policeman who had the albergue key, turned off his phone as he was having a holiday meal with family. I couldn't get any other billets and was resigned to bedding down in the church's yard. The policeman turned up about 10pm and I had a beautiful albergue to myself. your walking the cf at the best time. Peaceful solitude when needed and more meaningful meetings with other less stressed pilgrims. Yes, the albergues are chilly. A good sleeping bag and a few blankets you'll be braw! I loved every step. At times it was atmospheric. When I returned to Glasgow it was 3.am. I walked 5 miles to my home. I didn't want it to end. Enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks, that's really encouraging. I have sort of worked out my itinerary based on an 'organised' tour itinerary I found on the internet, as I figured those towns would also at least have hotel/b&b accommodation if the albergues were not available, but hoping to stay in albergues most of the time if I can. I'm fairly fit and my itinerary means I'll be walking around 20-25km per day. I think it should be doable within the approx 8 hrs of good daylight at that time of year. Ive allowed myself one rest day in Leon about midway through my journey. My aim is to finish in Santiago on NYE, but will also take an additional day as contingency so flight back will probably be on 2nd or even 3rd. Thanks for the tip re: emergency food/snacks. Did you have a lot of snow when you walked it last year?

Hi, I actually started on 22/12. The weather was really kind to me. I actually had a few days of lovely sunshine. In the main dry, bright and cold, at least until Galicia, where I had quite a bit of rain. There was a period of low temperatures in the morning.-15. I was told this was sort of freakish for Spain. Due to the frost in Spain, The uk had a shortage of veg , I saw fields of ruined cauliflower being run over by tractors. The albergue leaving time is no where as strict as spring/summer Camino. During the frosty periods, There was a big difference, leaving at 10am.... as opposed to 8am. Your itinerary seems to be spot on.20/25ks per day perfect. From sjpd, I strolled along to valcarlos. The albergue is amazing. Modern,fully equipped and warm. 5 Euro.Key at town hall. When I arrived, the school weans at the adjacent school, were signing silent night in English.Braw! No snow at all. Don't worry about the weather, you'll be to preoccupied with the camaraderie that comes with a winter Camino. Aw the best on your walk!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back