• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Round and About Châteaumeillant

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Only six weeks to go and I am still working on trying to understand my guide books and adding my detours, walkabaouts, and side-trips. Just before Chapelet is the Abbey of Puyfferand (Puy-Ferand?) a place to stop and look around for sure and just after Chapelet is the Romanesque church at Saint-Jeanvrin and down the chemin close by is Chateaumeillant. Chateaumeillant appears to be a very unremarkable sort of place, nothing to complain about but not very exciting either. "Let's check the wine," Scruffy said seeking encouragement. "In order to taste the local wine one must be very lucky", I read. "Almost all is consumed locally". Interesting but the article continues, "Lucky and courageous since it's pretty awful stuff." Remember! You saw it first here on the forum.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Only six weeks to go and I am still working on trying to understand my guide books and adding my detours, walkabaouts, and side-trips. Just before Chapelet is the Abbey of Puyfferand (Puy-Ferand?) a place to stop and look around for sure and just after Chapelet is the Romanesque church at Saint-Jeanvrin and down the chemin close by is Chateaumeillant. Chateaumeillant appears to be a very unremarkable sort of place, nothing to complain about but not very exciting either. "Let's check the wine," Scruffy said seeking encouragement. "In order to taste the local wine one must be very lucky", I read. "Almost all is consumed locally". Interesting but the article continues, "Lucky and courageous since it's pretty awful stuff." Remember! You saw it first here on the forum.
Yes, the wine from Châteaumeillant is not that good! Don't count on the church at St Jeanvrin being open - it wasn't when I walked the Voie de Vézelay. I stayed in a hostel by a leisure lake; it was extremely cold, and a long way to the superette after a day's walking.

Chateaumeillent is indeed fairly unremarkable, but for one glorious treasure that marks it out as almost unique in the whole of France. It has a marvellous grocery shop, run by an Asian family, that is OPEN EVEN ON SUNDAYS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS. Glory be! The most welcome and unexpected sight on a cold and hungry Sunday evening!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Chateaumeillent is indeed fairly unremarkable, but for one glorious treasure that marks it out as almost unique in the whole of France. It has a marvellous grocery shop, run by an Asian family, that is OPEN EVEN ON SUNDAYS AND PUBLIC HOLIDAYS. Glory be! The most welcome and unexpected sight on a cold and hungry Sunday evening!
Not quite unique! In Cluis (two days on from Châteaumeillant) there is a wonderful grocery and general store run by Moroccan Hamid. He is very pilgrim friendly, open all hours, and gives out freebies.

Not quite unique! In Cluis (two days on from Châteaumeillant) there is a wonderful grocery and general store run by Moroccan Hamid. He is very pilgrim friendly, open all hours, and gives out freebies.
Yes, I remember him too! These services are to be treasured!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.